Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

DRM error on Kindle Fire

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-24 of 24 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Feb 22, 2012 5:23:25 AM PST
Steve Rossi says:
Has anyone seen this error before?

Trying to get a book from a public library using a Kindle Fire and tried downloading the item several times with the same result.

Error Message: "Invalid Item. This item is protected with DRM and cannot be read on your Kindle. Please remove the item from your device and download it again or purchase a copy from the Kindle Store."

Posted on Feb 22, 2012 5:25:46 AM PST
Fud53 says:
Well it's possible you tried to download a book that isn't kindle compatible. Our library offers ebooks in a variety of formats...one being the kindle format, but at least 2 or 3 other formats are also offered. If you accidentally clicked on the wrong one that could be the problem.

Posted on Feb 25, 2012 5:15:14 PM PST
I got the same message but from books purchased from Amazon (kindle books). I'm waiting to hear from customer service. So far, all their troubleshooting tips are not working.

Posted on Mar 3, 2012 7:21:19 AM PST
L. K. Muller says:
I'm ready to return the fire because of the drm message....none of the last 8 books purchsed open on fire, but wok on original kindle

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 3, 2012 8:57:46 AM PST
Dragi Raos says:
This is very strange, L.K.M. Did you download them to Fire from its "Cloud" (the same as Archives on e-ink Kindles), or in some other way?

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 3, 2012 9:58:59 AM PST
L. K. Muller says:
bought books from amazon store directly from fire, downloaded from cloud, and used usb cable, all with same result: "content protected by DRM, not able to use on this device."
I deleted the books and tried again many times, same results. Just took Fire back to factory default, if it doen's work It's going back for warranty.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 3, 2012 10:01:11 AM PST
Jazzy_Jeff says:
Did you by chance call Kindle CS foe help???

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 3, 2012 3:27:52 PM PST
L. K. Muller says:
i wiped the kindle and set everything back to factory default. then re-registered and downloaded books...everything is now working. so for others getting the DRM message try that, it worked for me,

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2012 3:45:35 PM PST
This worked for me! I was getting DRM issues on older books and ones I purchased right from my Fire HD. Resetting the device fixed the DRM issue. Thank you L. K. Muller!

Posted on Nov 29, 2012 3:48:32 PM PST
L. K. Muller says:
glad it helped.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 9, 2013 12:47:45 PM PST
Noodle Top says:
Thank you so much for this information it worked perfectly. After a week of frustration we have been able to get rid of the DRM error

Posted on Mar 9, 2013 1:40:12 PM PST
L. K. Muller says:
glad to hear it worked

Posted on Aug 26, 2013 5:50:22 AM PDT
smct says:
I just set up my kindle fire hd. Also have a regular kindle. Tried to download books from my library and some books, not all are not downloading. I get a DRM error. What is the problem?

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 26, 2013 5:54:10 AM PDT
smct, are you downloading your books from your account? You can't just transfer them.

Post again, and explain how you were getting the books to the Fire.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 26, 2013 6:11:39 AM PDT
smct says:
I guess they are downloading from my library on cloud. I can see all of my books on the kindle hd then when I touch them to download onto my kindle hd some are on and I can open them and some will say there is a DRM error and to delete or purchase from the store. I tried deleting these books I am having issues with and download again but I continue to get this error.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 26, 2013 6:14:31 AM PDT
CBRetriever says:
are you seeing them in the Books - Cloud tab and downloading them from there?

or did you copy them via usb?

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 26, 2013 6:24:49 AM PDT
smct says:
I am downloading from the cloud tab.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 26, 2013 6:27:23 AM PDT
CBRetriever says:
you have correctly registered your kindle right?

try a reboot - make sure you have over 50% battery charge, it's unplugged and hold the power on for a full 30 seconds (ignoring any messages that pop up and continuing to press), then wait 15 seconds and turn it back on, turn on wifi and sync

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 26, 2013 6:32:33 AM PDT
smct says:
Yes, it is showing up on my account with amazon. It does have a different email address. Should the email addresses be the same?

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 26, 2013 6:38:20 AM PDT
CBRetriever says:
no - you are talking about the email address for each kindle/kindle app, right?

those need to be different and are only used to send personal documants to that particular kindle, not books from your account

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 26, 2013 6:40:13 AM PDT
smct says:
Yes, I am talking about each kindle. So, I will try and reboot the kindle and see what happens. Thanks for the help!

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 26, 2013 7:01:45 AM PDT
L. K. Muller says:
i had to wipe out the kindle to factory specs, then re-register and start from scrathc. that solved the problem

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 26, 2013 7:02:50 AM PDT
CBRetriever says:
excellent - glad to know it's working ok now

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 26, 2013 7:48:02 AM PDT
Grl says:
CB I just want to say that you are always very kind and helpful.to people.here on Ammy. Thank you for all the help and information you share.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  12
Total posts:  24
Initial post:  Feb 22, 2012
Latest post:  Aug 26, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 5 customers

Search Customer Discussions