Industrial-Sized Deals TextBTS15 Shop Women's Handbags Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Shop Popular Services tmnt tmnt tmnt  Amazon Echo Starting at $99 Kindle Voyage Metal Gear Solid 5 Shop Back to School with Amazon Back to School with Amazon Outdoor Recreation Deal of the Day
Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

poor quality apps and browsing getting soo frustrating ....

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-17 of 17 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 17, 2012 10:12:20 PM PST
sammyrosie says:
I love my kindle fire, for what it is, but the apps are just awful ..... windows 98 level graphics and speed ...the same apps for my ipad 2 are beautiful .... I am not a big Apple fan but the app market is just light years ahead of Android .....Also, when browsing it is impossible to stop the browser from dropping down to rudimentary mobile version on many sites......poor apps poor browsing performance after some soul searching, I'm sorry amazon but that's reason I just have to pass on the Kindle 4g HD

Posted on Nov 17, 2012 10:29:06 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 18, 2012 1:40:50 AM PST
(edit out erroneous content)

How do you know how the 4G works? They aren't even out yet.

Posted on Nov 17, 2012 10:37:40 PM PST
Lisa says:
I love my little KFHD7 but i have to agree, these are not meant for serious web browsing or doing any amount of work on. When my laptop goes, Ill probably replace it with an ipad. Different products serve different purposes.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 17, 2012 10:46:19 PM PST
"it is impossible to stop the browser from dropping down to rudimentary mobile version"

or you could just change the settings to make sure that it always loads the desktop version.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 17, 2012 10:47:17 PM PST
sammyrosie says:
There are a ton of reviews on amazon now...they started shipping a couple days ago and people now have them.....my decision is more from many articles concerning a dearth of updated apps.......If I find the app selection largely cheesy ineffectual and dated on my 1st gen fire I'm not disposed to set myself up for disappoint on a more expensive device ...it's too bad, I love shopping Amazon and I like the physical quality of their gear ...

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 17, 2012 10:49:23 PM PST
sammyrosie says:
Done that, often still reverts.....ebay is particularly bad, but happens on many sites....

Posted on Nov 17, 2012 10:54:07 PM PST
The 4G version has not shipped, only the wifi version.

Posted on Nov 17, 2012 11:46:52 PM PST
Jazzy_Jeff says:
Other app stores are available as well as browsers. But to each his own.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 18, 2012 1:29:49 AM PST
That's weird, all of the Angry Birds HD apps work on both our first gen iPad, and iPad mini. The iPad 2 must be speshul or something.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 18, 2012 1:39:57 AM PST
or I was in error...stop the presses!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 18, 2012 3:13:51 AM PST
fleaBe says:
It's not the browser but the website, making decisions based on what browser it's detecting. I've found the same thing with my iPad, there are a few sites that assume if you aren't using one of the major (PC based) browsers, you must be using a smart phone - VERY annoying!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 18, 2012 4:20:57 AM PST
I wondered about that, because a while ago someone on FB asked me, "Where are you?" Where was I? I was at home, in a chair, with my Fire. I looked at my FB post, and it said "via mobile". I don't have a smartphone; FB assumed it was.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 18, 2012 7:32:46 AM PST
Jazzy_Jeff says:
That is because Android was a smartphone operating system to begin with. Most of the first tablets including the first generation Fire used a smartphone version of Android.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 18, 2012 7:51:25 AM PST
FlyingAce says:
Maybe you should consider getting a device that is actually an android tablet, not an ereader that doubles as a tablet.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2012 10:18:53 PM PST
sammyrosie says:
I've used others, and the apps still sucked.... & seriously at 500$ the HD 4G cannot be considered an 'ereader' ......these are platforms for commerce . Amazon offers far and away the best commerce, but people want these little apps and the unreliable, overall poor quality of Andriod apps means that apple's gonna win. Period.....all these companies think its about specs, but its about people's delight in the gadget and that comes from apps..........Amazon needs to break out a big carrot and a thick stick to force improvements in its app market

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2012 10:28:12 PM PST
Dude, Apple's market share in quarterly tablet shipments dropped from 64% to 50% between Q2 and Q3. Forbe's estimates the Fire will outsell the iPad Mini in the US by a 2 to 1 margin.

People don't always want the best if it involves a price premium. "Good enough" is just fine if it involves saving a hundred dollars or more.

Posted on Nov 20, 2012 8:20:50 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 20, 2012 8:22:42 AM PST
Old Rocker,
Absolutely agree. In fact, I loved my first Kindle. Maybe sammyrosie is into apps, which we are not. We want an ereader to read books.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  10
Total posts:  17
Initial post:  Nov 17, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 20, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions