Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

Kindle Malfunction Please Help

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 34 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 5, 2012 10:57:29 PM PST
So I got my kindle for christmas and things were going just great until today, my kindles like froze or something and my computer won't read it has this happened to anyone else if so how did you fix it thanks in advance

Posted on Jan 5, 2012 11:09:27 PM PST
Debbie says:
Make sure it is unplugged, then hold the power button for about 20 seconds to make it reset This often fixes problems.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 5, 2012 11:09:37 PM PST
It would help us to help you if you told us which model Kindle you have - there are several now.

But try a hard reboot - hold the power switch on for 20-30 seconds - count them - then wait for the Kindle to reboot. If the Fire, press the power switch once to restart.

Posted on Mar 7, 2012 3:17:05 PM PST
My kindle froze too. Just got it for Christmas. The screen saver covers half the screen so you can't read the text behind it. Please help

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 7, 2012 3:18:39 PM PST
Press the power button for 30 seconds.

Posted on Jul 7, 2012 8:42:01 AM PDT
Y-vet says:
My kindle menu option to turn off WiFi has disappeared - the top option is now just Shop In Kindle Store. Any advice?

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 7, 2012 8:43:23 AM PDT
Y-vet, the current update to the basic Kindle moved the WiFi on/off. Use Menu/Settings/Airplane Mode to turn it on/off now.

Airplane Mode "ON" equals WiFi "OFF" and vice versa.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 15, 2012 9:57:37 AM PDT
A. Proven says:
Thank you, this worked for me. It also showed me a way I can share books with my wife's kindle. Since she reads a great deal more than I do, we reregistered my kindle in her name. All my books stayed on the kindle and now we buy all our books on her account. Cheers.

Posted on Jul 15, 2012 10:28:17 AM PDT
my Kindle fire is acting up. No apps will play. wifi on/off keeps flashing from one to the other. Any ideas.

Posted on Jul 15, 2012 11:15:55 AM PDT
Lisa, have you done the hard reset? Press and hold the power button for 30 seconds (time it). Then press the power button on more time to turn the Fire on. Wait until the home screen comes up.

Posted on Aug 13, 2012 7:50:14 AM PDT
B. Borman says:
I have the same problem; my kindle is frozen. Tried holding the power slide for 30 seconds (actually, closer to a minute), but nothing happened.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 13, 2012 8:19:10 AM PDT
Just Peachy says:
Contact Kindle Customer Service.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 13, 2012 8:20:04 AM PDT
If you have had the kindle less than 12 months get Amazon to change it otherwise it makes a good doorstop!

Posted on Sep 9, 2012 8:49:03 AM PDT
Does cigarette smoke( lots of it) affect a kindle.My friend is a chain smoker and her kindle has broken down and been replaced and the new one is also screwed up now. I think the smoke tar is responsible. What do the experts think?

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 10, 2012 5:24:44 AM PDT
Sarida says:
I don't know what the experts think, but I know for a fact you should never smoke around electronics. My husband is a computer repairman, and the two things that cause hardware damage (besides the obvious dropping) are cigarette smoke and pet hair. Of course, you don't want to leave an electronic device in a hot car or near a heat source. Electronics like cool!

Posted on Sep 10, 2012 8:02:01 PM PDT
KayKay says:
Customer service tried a hard reset a couple of different ways and then some other things. Finally said that my kk3 was defective and offered me another at the reduced price of 129.00. If only that was a option for me at this time. Oh well, thanks anyway CS.

Posted on Sep 10, 2012 8:29:52 PM PDT
Bummer, Kay Kay! :-( On the bright side, start saving your shekels for your next Kindle!

:-)

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 24, 2012 6:04:43 AM PDT
My kindle froze, I contacted the Kindle Customer Service Dept. They phoned me back promptly and the result of the call was that I had exchanged my 1year old Kindle for another one at no cost at all to me not even postage. I only know the man that I spoke to by the name of Fred but he was polite and efficient. All in all the best customer service I have ever experienced. Gloria Gornall

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 24, 2012 7:01:08 AM PDT
Y=Vet: "My kindle menu option to turn off WiFi has disappeared - the top option is now just Shop In Kindle Store. Any advice? "

My suggestion would be to start your own thread with your problem. Even better, since it's been answered a lot, try searching.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 4, 2012 12:48:55 AM PDT
M. Bayliss says:
Brilliant, that fixed it, many thanks.

Posted on Dec 2, 2012 9:19:07 PM PST
Is it possible that the older, first kindle would let off some kind of smoke or gases? My mother says sometimes she see's smoke or a vapor of some kind coming from it.

Posted on Jan 1, 2013 11:02:42 PM PST
steve says:
My kindle began to malfunction after the latest update. Their tech support was unhelpful, and I was advised to by a refurbished one, as my kindle is six months past warranty. $104 later, I am questioning my decision, and will probably send back said refurbished kindle, take as much of a refund as they give me, and START USING THE LIBRARY. Which never malfunctions, is free, has a wider selection, and appreciates its patrons.

Posted on Mar 12, 2013 12:25:57 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 12, 2013 12:33:18 PM PDT
My kindle does not allow me to view programs. I just don't see any hope. Just Answer is a joke--pay first and then try to cancel. Good luck. I think Kindle should make this clear before going to this sight..The Kindle does not allow me to get connected to Hi-Fi.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 12, 2013 12:32:23 PM PDT
view what programs? What issues are you having connecting to WI-FI? DO you have a wireless router? In an area that has free wifi (mcdonalds, starbucks, kohls?)

Posted on Mar 12, 2013 12:41:51 PM PDT
A. Mumford says:
This morning my kindle touch was showing my book in portrait mode but this afternoon it has changed to landscape mode. I did not turn it on or off. I can find no way to get back to protrait mode for books. Menus are displayed in portrsit mode. Help!!
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
Welcome to the Kindle Discussion Forum - A Congregation of Kindle Enthusiasts
0 11 days ago
Announcement
Meet other story lovers at Write On by Kindle
36 11 days ago
Announcement
Enjoy your print books and personal documents on your Kindle with Kindle Convert.
0 Feb 2, 2015
next version of fire HDX 4 6 minutes ago
My Kindle won't charge 530 20 minutes ago
I've had enough 4 38 minutes ago
ECHO's of Friendship 2298 52 minutes ago
how to retune books u get 74 58 minutes ago
Freebie Books - Links Only - No Self Promotion III 9894 59 minutes ago
Why can't we loan Kindle books like we can loan paperback or hardcover? 317 1 hour ago
RAoK Room 81 is ready to serve you..... 7643 1 hour ago
Dragi's Croatian Crab Shack and Wine Bar - The times they are a changin' 6864 1 hour ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  30
Total posts:  34
Initial post:  Jan 5, 2012
Latest post:  24 days ago

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 8 customers

Search Customer Discussions