Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

So can you turn the Paperwhite light completely off?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 602 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 3, 2012 5:20:02 AM PDT
Everyone I heard says that the lowest setting still shows light but is dim. Can anyone confirm?

Posted on Oct 3, 2012 5:24:29 AM PDT
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 3, 2012 5:33:50 AM PDT
That's one of the things I checked out yesterday. Yes, you can.

Posted on Oct 3, 2012 5:36:09 AM PDT
I won't be getting mine until February but from what I've read and watched on videos, yes, you can turn it off but when you wake up the Paperwhite the light automatically comes on. It's clearly the intent of Kindle that the light just stay on.

Posted on Oct 3, 2012 5:45:54 AM PDT
E. Yasi says:
If you turn the light all the way down it looks off. And, whatever setting you last had the light at will be carried over to the next time you turn it on, so it will still be off (or so-low-you-can't-see-it-and-it-might-as-well-be-off) until you change the setting again.

Posted on Oct 3, 2012 6:49:52 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 3, 2012 7:11:15 AM PDT
me too. says:
I received mine in the mail yesterday and evidently my eyes are extremely sensitive because at the lowest setting in a completely dark room, I thought it was too bright. In daylight, the lowest setting looks like it's off - the background is just a pearly-white - but it's definitely still on. I really just want my Kindle Keyboard back. I'm a gadget geek and love the newest and greatest of everything else, but evidently I just want an e-reader to be simple. (That said, it's the best Kindle ever if only it would go dimmer, or an inverted screen was an option.)

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 3, 2012 6:51:34 AM PDT
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 3, 2012 6:59:27 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 3, 2012 7:09:39 AM PDT
me too. says:
I had it in my back pants pocket and my arms full of my 5 month old son and diapers and he dropped a the bunny he was carrying. I very carefully knelt down to pick up the toy and heard a terrible crunch from my back pocket. Amazon was great and took it back and gave me a good % of the original cost back, but the KK was so much more expensive than the new ones (as of this summer, prior to the Paperwhite's introduction) - with more features! - that I originally got a 4th generation Kindle, and then just upgraded to the PW. I think I'm going to try to find a family member with a KK to trade as I just loved the light from my (non-amazon) snap in light. I'm tired of dealing with returns.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 3, 2012 7:02:30 AM PDT
The KK with 3G is only $20 more than the WiFi Paperwhite.

Posted on Oct 3, 2012 7:25:49 AM PDT
R. D. Clark says:
The User Guide claims that a long press on the "minus" will turn the light off. But I find that's not true. It is dimmed so as to appear to be off except in a completely dark room, but if you peer closely under the bottom bezel you can still see the faintly lit LEDs.

Has anyone had a different result?

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 3, 2012 8:06:23 AM PDT
me too. says:
It just seems to mean that if you long press on the plus or the minus it jumps to the highest or lowest settings.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 3, 2012 8:10:19 AM PDT
R. D. Clark says:
Yes, that's what happens, but the Guide says "off."

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 3, 2012 8:12:25 AM PDT
MommaCat says:
Thank you me too. My eyes are sensitive and I get migraines. I was looking for a true response (the others really seemed snarky). Now I know that as much as I hoped that I could get one in spite of the touch screen, I probably won't.

Posted on Oct 3, 2012 8:12:26 AM PDT
Same here for me. The light does not go completely off. I was wondering if it was just mine. I specifically contacted Amazon before my purchase & was told the light could be turned off (and it's in the user's guide). Do you think it's defective or you really can't turn the light all the way off?

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 3, 2012 8:32:53 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 3, 2012 8:34:33 AM PDT
R. D. Clark says:
The light does go completely off when the PW is in sleep mode, so my guess is that it's not a defect, just a slight miscommunication between the manual writers and the engineers. I've worked with LEDs a lot, and the amount of power consumed by the LEDs at their dimmest is virtually immeasurable. I don't see it as an issue.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 3, 2012 8:36:09 AM PDT
sabst79 says:
not true. mine stays in whatever setting i set it to before i put the PW to sleep. if you set it to the lowest setting, it'll stay there until you change it.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 3, 2012 8:37:03 AM PDT
sabst79 says:
did it look the same in sleep mode? or did you only notice it when the kindle is awake? i don't have mine on me, will play with it tonight to see if i notice the same thing.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 3, 2012 8:39:43 AM PDT
sabst79 says:
I wonder if they could do a software update to enable it to turn off while awake. i know i would like it to turn completely off when i don't need the light.

Posted on Oct 3, 2012 8:49:26 AM PDT
It looks to me like the center 2 lights stay on, even if the slider is moved all the way down. My eye can't see it in a regularly lit room, but if you hold the Kindle up and look down the screen to where the lights are, you can see them. Press the power button to put it to sleep, and you can watch them go out.

That doesn't bother me. I am not as thrilled with the screen as I had hoped to be. The default text for the Home Page is very thin and small, and nothing like the Basic. It really needs to be larger and darker IMO. My 53 year old very bad eyes just don't like 6 pt type. The cover view is basically worthless on the first page, only 3 items show, with Editor Picks or other items showing below. If you opt out of SO, does that change?

I also think the black bezel shows fingerprints a lot more than the graphite did. I need to use it at night for a week or so. I play some games on my Basic...using the touch screen for Jigsaw Words and Thread Words is odd, but I think I'll get used to it. My husband really prefers the 5-Way for games. He thought he really wanted a Paperwhite, but isn't so sure after playing with one.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 3, 2012 10:24:39 AM PDT

Posted on Oct 3, 2012 10:19:56 PM PDT
Confirmed under Kindle Paper White OS 5.2.0

Lighting cannot be *completely* turned off. Lowest setting still has perceptible light.
(Tapping the power button will briefly give you a glimpse of what screen looks like with no light on at all. It looks great, even easier on the eyes)

Last light-level settings are retained after sleep and restarts.

One could expect that this would be fixed in a future kOS update. (Why would they not?)
Add your voice -> kindle-feedback@amazon.com

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 3, 2012 10:28:12 PM PDT
John D. says:
I agree. Off completely in sleep mode, and VERY dim at lowest setting. I cannot see it in a lit room, but in total darkness it is visible.

Posted on Oct 3, 2012 11:27:28 PM PDT
I guess it won't matter much to me, but Bezos saying something like "we think most people will want to keep the light on all the time" seems like an unusual way of saying "the light WILL be on all the time".

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 3, 2012 11:52:41 PM PDT
Dorsie says:
Yes, we call that a lie.

Posted on Oct 4, 2012 5:55:05 PM PDT
S. McQuitty says:
My eyes are still detecting the light on the lowest setting and it is giving me a headache. I called AMAZON and they said it should go completely off. Apparently that is not true. If they can't get this fixed, than I will be returning mine.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 25 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
NEWS: Kindle for iOS Software Update 4.5
26 6 hours ago
Announcement
Update re: Amazon/Hachette Business Interruption
0 Jul 29, 2014
Announcement
Hachette/Amazon Business Interruption
0 May 27, 2014
Announcement
Have a Kindle Question?
0 Sep 12, 2012
Kindle Repair??? 281 2 seconds ago
marketing books 1 28 seconds ago
Free Books and Chat - Friday, Sept. 19, 2014 86 30 seconds ago
FREE Books & Chat - Wed/Thurs Sept 17 & 18, 2014 235 2 minutes ago
What is the "Others" storage category 105 5 minutes ago
Does Kindle Paperwhite support EPUB? 94 5 minutes ago
SwagBucks Thread 3014 5 minutes ago
Newt Gingrich 3 6 minutes ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  139
Total posts:  602
Initial post:  Oct 3, 2012
Latest post:  29 days ago

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 24 customers

Search Customer Discussions