Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Men's Leather Watches Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums All-New Amazon Fire TV Subscribe & Save Valentine's Day Cards Bring a little greenery into your home Amazon Gift Card Offer jstfd6 jstfd6 jstfd6  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Lisa Loeb AMO Shop Now SnS
Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

Firefox for kindle fire hd

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 64 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 19, 2012 5:10:59 PM PDT
jpot says:
I'm trying to get firefox on my kindle fire and was wondering if anyone had any success and which version did you install. I tried the beta and regular app and I am able to see the homepage for about 1.5 seconds and then it suddenly closes so wondering if there is a working version

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 19, 2012 8:34:00 PM PDT
Dave Grant says:
Not much to add other than I'm getting the exact same behavior, using Kindle Fire HD 7"

Posted on Sep 19, 2012 9:36:23 PM PDT
I have the beta working on my 1st Gen Fire.

Posted on Sep 19, 2012 9:49:09 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Sep 19, 2012 9:49:52 PM PDT]

Posted on Oct 23, 2012 11:43:58 AM PDT
DB says:
I'm still having the same problem on my Kindle HD 7.

Posted on Nov 7, 2012 7:30:18 PM PST
same here just tried 16.0.2 from
https://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/mobile/releases/latest/android/en-US/

it opens then 1.5 seconds later it closes

Posted on Nov 7, 2012 7:30:57 PM PST
same here just tried 16.0.2 from
https://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/mobile/releases/latest/android/en-US/

it opens then 1.5 seconds later it closes

Posted on Nov 7, 2012 8:38:08 PM PST
FireFox will not work on my Fire HD. Closes, just like you were experiencing.

Posted on Nov 9, 2012 1:51:25 PM PST
Paul Ortyl says:
Message to Amazon: until Firefox (with Adblock an NoScript) works, Fire HD won't enter my shopping list. Reason: web browsing with ads is unbearable.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 9, 2012 4:03:50 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 9, 2012 4:04:23 PM PST
Same problem on my KF2. I downloaded directly from the Mozilla ftp site and installed using ES Explorer. Firefox seemed to install without a hitch, but "something" kills the process as soon as it opens.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 9, 2012 4:04:47 PM PST
You would do better telling Mozilla. The issue has nothing to do with Amazon.

Posted on Nov 9, 2012 4:24:43 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 9, 2012 4:52:32 PM PST
Update: Seems it is a known bug that Mozilla is working on known as Bug #791419, so now I have no clue what the problem really is--Firefox or App Store? Just wish they would get it worked out.

Link: https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=791419

I found this info on the Mozilla Support Forums regarding Firefox and Kindle Fires. This post was from 4 months ago and pertains to the KF1, but apparently it still seems to be an issue. Makes me wonder if the new Fires are programmed to immediately kill Firefox.??? Whatever it is, I wish they would come to some kind of understanding.

Here's the link and the text posted by "mlna" (Administrator/Moderator Mozilla Support Forums):

http://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/930780

"Chosen Solution
Hi,

Thanks for using the new Firefox for android! Unfortunately, the Amazon app store requires that Firefox include additional software to be in the Amazon app store. So, we removed it from the store until we can resolve the issue.

So, we do officially support Kindle Fire, but we need to resolve the problem with the app store before we make it available there.

Thanks, Michelle"

(Edited to fix my typos.) :(

Posted on Nov 9, 2012 4:48:54 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 9, 2012 4:49:07 PM PST
Yeah, I have it running fine on my 1st gen Fire. I honestly don't think it's anything Amazon did on purpose. If they wanted to stop you for downloading apps outside the appstore, they certainly could have.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 9, 2012 4:58:45 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 9, 2012 5:52:52 PM PST
I agree, it's probably not something intentional. I shouldn't have insinuated that without proof. I'm just frustrated. I really miss my Firefox.

I just found more info that I added to my post above. Seems Mozilla is working on it, and it has an official name "Bug #791419," so I'm keeping my fingers crossed for a fix soon.

Here's another link that tells a slightly different story. Now I'm totally confused. Oh, well.

http://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/935734?esab=a&s=kindle+fire+2&r=3&as=s

(ETA link)

Posted on Dec 25, 2012 6:30:50 PM PST
https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=791419

Since this hasn't been updated in a while, the bugzilla thread shows that they have identified the issue and it looks like they will address it soon enough.

Posted on Dec 26, 2012 6:38:59 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 26, 2012 6:40:16 PM PST
Barb in kc says:
just talked to Amazon customer support and was told that they allow download and install of third party apps but will NOT allow them to be used on the current platform. I'm livid. the fire hd DOES NOT support streaming video with their Silk browser but won't let me use a browser that WILL allow streaming video. Why the heck would I want this product? sending mine back in the morning!

VERY UNHAPPY :(

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 26, 2012 7:00:46 PM PST
I watch streaming video with Silk. Are you referring to Flash video?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 26, 2012 7:48:11 PM PST
We are trying to install Flash as well and running into difficulties. Any suggestions?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 26, 2012 7:54:55 PM PST
Jami says:
I installed the Dolphin browser that supports flash just fine. if you search the forum there are detailed links and instructions to follow. Good luck - I had to get Flash working for You Tube or would have had some very unhappy kids here.

Posted on Dec 26, 2012 8:16:31 PM PST
http://www.amazon.com/forum/kindle/ref=cm_cd_pg_pg4?_encoding=UTF8&cdForum=Fx1D7SY3BVSESG&cdPage=4&cdThread=Tx1MK9OB8QJR5IC

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 26, 2012 11:59:49 PM PST
M. Ratcheson says:
Amazon does allow the installation of third party applications on my 7 inch Kindle Fire HD. What platform do you consider the current platform?

Of course I don't expect them to provide me with support for any third party applications, if that's what you are referring to. I figure when I install an app not in their Appstore, I'm on my own. But I've installed a few, including an older version of Dolphin with an older version of Adobe Flash, and haven't run into any problems.

Posted on Dec 30, 2012 7:31:27 PM PST
I can not log into my companies secure sites without Mozilla. If I can't log on I can't make the HD sync email, calendars or anything else. Ipad's don't have this problem. I really like the Fire HD better but I can't wait forever for a fix. Has any one seen a resolution to this yet?

Posted on Jan 6, 2013 3:37:55 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Jan 6, 2013 4:14:57 PM PST]

Posted on Jan 6, 2013 4:16:13 PM PST
nightly builds now work. posted from KFHD running Firefox nightly.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 7, 2013 4:57:43 PM PST
hclark says:
could you please provide link? thanx
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  31
Total posts:  64
Initial post:  Sep 19, 2012
Latest post:  13 days ago

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 19 customers

Search Customer Discussions