Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

Google play on Kindle Fire HD?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 244 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 16, 2012 12:42:45 PM PST
N. Rasmussen says:
Amazon's app choices are... well... lacking.

Is there a way to get the google play store or something else on my Kindle so that I can get simple apps like Youtube?

Posted on Dec 16, 2012 12:57:49 PM PST
clive hewett says:
wholly in agreement. Amazon needs to decide if the Fire HD is a reading device that has limited tablet functionality (specifically really naff/poor quality apps) or a poor quality tablet (for the apps side of things) with excellent HD and colour.
I got mine specifically for reading comics and graphic novels; now I`'ve had it for a bit I would recommend getting a different device and download the kindle app onto that instead.

come on amazon get your finger out in support of your customers!

Posted on Dec 16, 2012 1:03:51 PM PST
Old Rocker says:
While its almost certainly a business decision on the part of Amazon, there are other things to consider, too. For example, even on the Nexus 10, according to PC Mag only 36 of their top 100 Android apps run on the device even marginally well due to scaling and resolution issues. Part of the issue, therefore, is probably that many apps have not yet been written to handle HD resolutions.

Posted on Dec 16, 2012 2:20:22 PM PST
N. Rasmussen says:
So is there any way to get google play?

Posted on Dec 16, 2012 2:25:07 PM PST
C. S. Jones says:
Not without rooting which voids any warranty on the device.

Posted on Dec 16, 2012 2:26:32 PM PST
Yes -- do a google search for Google Play and you will find many instructions on how to root your Kindle in order to install Google Play.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 16, 2012 2:51:06 PM PST
Jazzy_Jeff says:
No, you need to decide if the Fire has what you need. For many people they are satisfied with what they get. You need to get a tablet that has what you need. Last year when I purchased my Toshiba Thrive I did my homework and bought the perfect tablet for me.

Posted on Dec 16, 2012 3:19:01 PM PST
N. Rasmussen says:
I did a lot of research first and I still think that the Kindle Fire is what is best for me. I'm satisfied with it, I was just hoping that there was a way to make it suit my needs even more.

What is everyone's opinion on rooting? Is it worth the risk?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 16, 2012 3:21:26 PM PST
Jazzy_Jeff says:
That is completely up to you. Do you know what you are doing? Are you comfortable doing things like this?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 16, 2012 3:31:06 PM PST
Old Rocker says:
IMHO, there is no sense in buying a Fire if you are going to root it. It then becomes a JAT - Just Another Tablet.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 16, 2012 4:03:09 PM PST
~nospin says:
Don't root as it will void your warranty.

If you have a smartphone with apps you wsnt people have emailed the .apk file to themselves as an email att a chment.
Allow installation of apps on the Fire, open email, and install.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 16, 2012 4:28:36 PM PST
clive hewett says:
fair comment although it's not until you start using it do you wish for more or start identifying areas for making your experience better. i refer back to my original point of Amazon needing to decide what they want KFHD to be. i enjoy using it hugely but think i have tablet envy

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 16, 2012 4:43:06 PM PST
Old Rocker says:
I think Amazon has decided what they want the KFHD to be. This is a case of hardware leading the software. If app developers want to get in on the "Fire Experience," they will need to develop custom versions of their apps. Amazon makes no money from the Google Play Store, they want to make money on their own appstore.

Posted on Dec 16, 2012 5:03:35 PM PST
Here's a great article explaining how to sideload Google Play apps onto the Kindle Fire. I have used this method many times myself, and it works well.

http://androidcowboy.com/2012/01/how-to-sideload-apps-on-kindle-fire/

Posted on Dec 25, 2012 2:04:45 AM PST
W. W. Chuen says:
Well it is just like apple. It has it own app store with their selected developers. Apple will provide the necessary support for both developers and end users like us. So Amazon choose the same path but its just that their tablet is based on andriod which already has their own play store which has a slightly lax requirement on developer.

Posted on Dec 27, 2012 1:20:37 AM PST
or they should just add more apps they barely have any on kindle store

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 29, 2012 4:38:22 AM PST
K. Brent says:
It has to be rooted.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 29, 2012 10:03:41 AM PST
Adam Walton says:
Yes there is but it isn't simple and I would only recommend it if you have ample time on your hands.

https://developer.amazon.com/sdk/fire/setup.html
https://developer.amazon.com/sdk/fire/connect-adb.html
http://www.androidauthority.com/kindle-fire-hd-7-inch-easy-root-123356/ (Ignore the Kindle Fire Drivers pakage link)
http://www.androidauthority.com/kindle-fire-hd-7-inch-install-google-play-store-123353/

Like I said; it won't be quick but it will at least allow you to try it.

Posted on Dec 29, 2012 5:08:07 PM PST
This is going to drive me nuts. We got our 5 yr old a Furby for Christmas. I want to get the app for it and the Furby website says it's available on the Kindle Fire HD. I can't figure out how to do it!! Any advice? I don't usually mess with the insides or mechanics of things and I don't know how to use any other "place" to get apps other than the Google Play thing. Help?! LOL Thank you!

Posted on Dec 29, 2012 5:29:36 PM PST
You can get the Furby app from 1mobile.com:

http://www.1mobile.com/furby-658506.html

Before installing, you have to update your device settings on the Fire to allow installation of applications from unknown sources.

Posted on Dec 29, 2012 5:31:23 PM PST
Many free apps from Google Play can easily be sideloaded on the Fire if you have another android device (like a phone). Here is a link to an informative article that gives instructions on how to sideload apps.

http://androidcowboy.com/2012/01/how-to-sideload-apps-on-kindle-fire/

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 29, 2012 7:35:24 PM PST
Thank you! I changed my device settings, still having issues trying to get it from my computer to the furby. Can't figure out how to open an .apk file. Told ya'll I don't usually get into this kind of stuff LOL!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 29, 2012 8:08:46 PM PST
Hi Jennifer, If you have e-mail set up on the Fire, save the file to your PC, e-mail the apk file to yourself, open the e-mail on the fire. Click the file attachment once to download and again (once downloaded) to install.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 29, 2012 10:01:58 PM PST
Thank you very much! I got it and now have even more ways to be annoyed by this little thing. LOL!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 29, 2012 10:09:49 PM PST
You're welcome!
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  98
Total posts:  244
Initial post:  Dec 16, 2012
Latest post:  Jul 27, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 31 customers

Search Customer Discussions