Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

Does Kindle Fire HD support flash player

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 375 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 11, 2012 3:04:18 PM PDT
Loc N. Trinh says:
I am new to this tablet. Is this new Kindle Fire HD play Flash? Does anyone know, thanks

Posted on Sep 11, 2012 3:09:35 PM PDT
Bixillarla says:
Nope. Adobe no longer supports the Android format so the new Android OS will not be flash compatible.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 11, 2012 3:10:12 PM PDT
MommaCat says:
Flash is not supporting any tablet any longer.

Posted on Sep 11, 2012 3:12:23 PM PDT
Ed G says:
Flash on the web is dying. Adobe is taking flash in a different direction.

Posted on Sep 11, 2012 3:18:11 PM PDT
Loc N. Trinh says:
Thanks all.
Therefore this tablet is just like an Ipad n it is not support flash. What is this Kindle Fire HD is the diff. than Ipad?

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 11, 2012 3:23:37 PM PDT
MommaCat says:
It's better : D

Posted on Sep 11, 2012 3:26:07 PM PDT
Does it mean that one can not play video from a website like CNN.com, nbcnews.com or cbsnews.com?

Posted on Sep 11, 2012 3:28:32 PM PDT
Old Rocker says:
No new tablet with the newer versions of Android will support Flash Player. Its just how it is. There are ways to get around it, though, using certain browsers.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 11, 2012 3:30:45 PM PDT
Old Rocker says:
Any decent website has an HTML5 version.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 11, 2012 3:35:40 PM PDT
Bixillarla says:
That is correct Julius, if the website still uses flash then you cannot watch it on the new Fires.

Websites have been switching to html5 though, just have to wait out the slow pokes until they switch over.

Posted on Sep 11, 2012 3:37:23 PM PDT
jsh1120 says:
I strongly suspect that some third party browsers can be used with the KFHD and support flash videos. We'll see by next week.

Posted on Sep 12, 2012 2:54:31 AM PDT
L. Jarrett says:
I'm not positive on this, but why does everyone think this won't support flash? It says it uses Amazon Silk web browser, and Silk does support flash, it's just turned off by default.

See here:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=200729650

Viewing Flash content

Flash is supported on Amazon Silk but is disabled by default. If you see a message to install Flash while using your Kindle Fire, this means that the content you are attempting to view is a Flash file. If you would like to open the file, you will need to enable Flash through your Silk Settings menu.

With the Amazon Silk web browser open, tap the menu icon at the bottom of the screen, then tap Settings.
Tap the arrow next to Enable Flash and select your preferred behavior: "Always on," "On demand," or "Off."

If you haven't updated your Kindle Fire to the latest software version available, this setting can be accessed by tapping "Enable plug-ins." To update your Kindle Fire to the latest software version, visit http://www.amazon.com/kindlesoftwareupdates.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 12, 2012 3:02:47 AM PDT
~nospin says:
The new Fires are built on Andoid 4.0.
Android 4.0 is not supposed to support flash. The web page may change when the new Fires are out. We will have to wait and see.

Posted on Sep 12, 2012 7:57:40 AM PDT
I went to the amazon web... it says it supports it, I cross fingers...:

Amazon Silk is a revolutionary, cloud-accelerated browser that uses a "split browser" architecture to leverage the computing speed and power of the Amazon Web Services cloud. Supports Adobe® Flash® Player.

Posted on Sep 12, 2012 9:58:08 AM PDT
Alicia says:
Its Android 4.1 (Jelly Bean) don't have flash 4.0 (Ice Cream) does support flash. You just can't find Flash Player in the Play Store any longer. There are still ways to get flash on other Android devices but have to wait till Friday when the first batch of Fires start getting deliver. Hopefully you will be able to sideload :)

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 12, 2012 10:17:37 AM PDT
Ripley says:
This is what I had to do with my first Kindle Fire, and then it did indeed play Flash. I should have a Fire HD in my hands on Friday to see if it is still supported.

Posted on Sep 12, 2012 10:20:23 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 12, 2012 10:20:53 AM PDT
❤ Ann says:
From the online documentation for the Fire HD:

"Note: Flash content is not supported on Kindle Fire HD."

There you have it...

Edit: http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html/ref=hp_left_sib?ie=UTF8&nodeId=201010090

Posted on Sep 15, 2012 6:40:05 AM PDT
Steve Wiser says:
Actually not knowing, I thought that the Kindle browser would re-work Flash so that those videos would show on the Kindles. Oh, well one Kindle HD order cancelled.

Posted on Sep 15, 2012 6:45:03 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 15, 2012 12:27:04 PM PDT
jsh1120 says:
As I suspected, side-loading an alternate browser appears to solve the "Flash" problem, at least as far as my limited testing suggests. The Dolphin HD browser (version 8.5.1) available from www.getjar.com enables viewing Flash videos (at least from Comedy Central.)

Posted on Sep 15, 2012 11:11:14 AM PDT
iitskasey says:
Does the Kindle Fire HD play youtube videos through Amazon Silk? I haven't been able to locate an app for youtube.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 15, 2012 12:01:00 PM PDT
dklingen says:
That's ridiculous - 75% of the internet still uses flash videos. Almost every tech site I visit uses flash for the review/preview videos. I recently purchase a Nexus 7 and returned it because it does not support flash acceptably (you can use Firefox beta and install the apk manually - but things should be simple). The lack of flash video support is so incredibly short sited by Adobe/Android/Google/Amazon (they have the clout to make it happen if they wanted to). The only hope left is a Windows 8 tablet (Oct 26th) if you want to see flash videos/websites.

Posted on Sep 15, 2012 12:06:20 PM PDT
Mobile devices are loosing Flash. The Fire isn't the only one.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 15, 2012 1:11:47 PM PDT
Old Rocker says:
Its Adobe's decision - has nothing to do with Android/Google/Amazon.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 15, 2012 8:03:50 PM PDT
Totally agree, I had done the same thing..had bought a Nexus and returned it immediately. Still have my old Kindle Fire which works great with the flash video, and ordered my new Kindle Fire HD but then realized would run into the same problem as the Nexus...was hoping would behave like the old one...might return it too...

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 15, 2012 8:19:05 PM PDT
Q says:
dklingen,
Windows 8 for mobile devices will also not support Flash.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 15 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  161
Total posts:  375
Initial post:  Sep 11, 2012
Latest post:  Jul 1, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 56 customers

Search Customer Discussions