Best Books of the Month Shop Costumes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums All-New Amazon Fire TV Grocery Amazon Gift Card Offer gdwf gdwf gdwf  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage Nintendo Digital Games Fall Arrivals in Amazon Outdoor Clothing Halloween
Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

On/off Button driving me crazy in the Kindle Fire

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-18 of 18 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Apr 9, 2012 7:58:29 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 10, 2012 5:18:03 AM PDT
Garcia says:
The on/off button simply (in my mind) does not work the way it should, or at least I would like to be able to change how it works.

Ideally, I would like to change not to turn on unless I hold the button 3 seconds and confirm in screen. Currently I travel quite a bit, and every time I go to pick up my Kindle after a long flight, I notice that the kindle has been turned on (clearly from bumping into other things) and i wasted half the charge. And yes, I have a hardcover but from Marware but it doesnt help at all.

It also drives me crazy that when I plug it, it automatically turns on. With this setup I have to:
1. unlock with password the kindle fire to check if battery is full
2. unplug the charger
3. turn off the device
How much easier would it be if the device only would not turn on when charging?

Anyone know if there is any way to change the way the on/off botton behaves? Any plans from Amazon to change it?

Posted on Apr 10, 2012 3:33:49 AM PDT
Fud53 says:
Unfortunately there are millions of opinions on this matter. What do you propose amazon should do? Listen to you or the other myriad of choices? If you had the Fire in a protective case and stored it where it wouldn't get bumped wouldn't that solve the problem?

Sometimes it's the simple mind that doesn't find the simple solution.

Posted on Apr 10, 2012 4:46:56 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 10, 2012 4:49:32 AM PDT
C. Phillips says:
How about this for travel. Lots of others at bottom of same page.
i.Trek Hard Shell Case for Tablet and GPS Devices (Black)

Posted on Apr 10, 2012 4:55:40 AM PDT
dawnsong says:
Mine has never turned on accidentally since I put in this case...
Kindle Fire Genuine Leather Cover by Marware, Black

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 10, 2012 4:58:32 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 10, 2012 5:20:30 AM PDT
Garcia says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Apr 10, 2012 5:00:34 AM PDT
Garcia says:
By the way, that comment was for the very smart comment from Fud53. Ha! I appreciate everyone else adding case hyperlinks but like i said, I dont want to buy another.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 10, 2012 5:10:29 AM PDT
I don't understand why you are posting if you do not want responses. Apparently very few people have your issue as I have not run into it. I am sorry you do not think a different case would help.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 10, 2012 5:16:31 AM PDT
Garcia says:
Hi Nospin,

Notice in my original message the questions at the bottom. That is what i want answered and although I appreciate people responding with links for cases, I dont appreciate condescending people (not you) such as the first reply to my post. I will take constructive replies any time though!

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 10, 2012 6:16:05 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 10, 2012 6:17:11 AM PDT
dawnsong says:
Fud53 is a troll and posts irritating replies to a high percentage of new posts.
Recommend you set that user to ignore like most veteran forum participants do.

Kindle customer service has a suggestions/complaints link.
Perhaps that is a more productive place for your comments.
We're just customers here.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 10, 2012 5:31:10 PM PDT
Garcia says:
Thanks Dawsong. I will indeed go to the customer service suggestions...and blocking Fud53

Posted on Nov 10, 2012 2:22:41 PM PST
I have the same problems you list. In particular I am frustrated that it is so easy to bump the power button and turn it off accidentally. I like to balance it on my belt when I sit in a chair to read. ---Turns it off every time! I saw an "Instructable" that showed a small washer( doughnut shaped) glued over the the button. It looks like it would work fine I am uneasy about my own ability to do it. I have just learned to turn the thing upside-down and wait for the screen to adjust. Inconvenient--but I can read my usual way, now.
The battery, charger, password dance that you describe is also a peeve of mine.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 10, 2012 2:40:06 PM PST
B. Marks says:
I once had a device with a power button that was overly sensitive and stuck out a bit like the Kindle's power button. In my case it stayed home but it was always turning on when something on my desk bumped into it.

I have some small felt circles with adhesive backing that are designed for such things as putting inside a cabinet door so it won't make a lot of racket when the door closes. I found a punch and punched a hole in it and then widened that by punching another hole next to it. Then I trimmed the outer edge to the right size and stuck it on my device. It worked perfectly.

It should work even better and be easier to get a good fit on the Kindle Fire with it's round button. Probably only one hole needs to be punched.

This was on a portable media player that I've since given to someone but I had it that way for a couple of years and it stayed in place and never turned on accidentally again. It was a tiny bit harder to turn on but only a tiny bit.

I think I bought a package of these felt pads in assorted sizes from Walmart for $4 or $5.

Posted on Nov 10, 2012 2:40:28 PM PST
billie.... I had the sme issue with bumping the power button when I would prop my fire up on my lap. Now I just turn my fire upside down. because the screen automatically rotates - my power button is now on "top" where there is less chance of accidental pressure. I also find it useful to lock the screen in this position since I often lie on my side for bedtime reading, it keeps the screen from randomly switching to and from vertical/horizontal modes.

I agree that I would rather my fire charge when it is not on.

My biggest peeve is how long it takes to power up when it is off. Because of this I love that a short press of the power button sends it into a sort of "sleep mode" and wakes up with the next touch.

Posted on Nov 10, 2012 2:48:10 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 10, 2012 2:48:27 PM PST
jsh1120 says:
On the first gen Kindle Fire, the addition of a cover typically solves the problem of accidentally hitting the power button. Had mine for 11 months and have NEVER accidentally triggered the power button in the Marware case.

Posted on Nov 10, 2012 3:06:06 PM PST
Baryeem is brilliant. I have those same little felt circles. I tried it. It works!
I have also blocked FUD53.
Next I am going to learn the "sleep button trick" that Alisha mentions .
Jsh1120--my Marware case cover did not help. I like that my Marware case is so sturdy. I wonder which one you have? Maybe my barrel riders belt buckle that was the problem!? I really appreciate the quick responses. :)>

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 10, 2012 3:24:23 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 10, 2012 3:25:10 PM PST
jsh1120 says:

I have the CEO Hybrid Case. I don't see it for sale on Amazon any longer (though it may be). But here's a link to it on the Marware site. What I found when I purchased it was that the tab on the case next to the power button prevented me from pushing the power button accidentally. In fact, I have to deliberately place my finger directly on the button to activate it.

Posted on Nov 10, 2012 11:23:53 PM PST
Garcia says:
Thanks guys. Same hard cases may work but being a programmer I know this could be an easy amazon fix. Software based option to switch on/off turning to only do so after 3s or so holding. It is pretty easy to add this and can't understand why amazon has not done so already but thanks for all the input.

Posted on Nov 11, 2012 12:44:06 AM PST
WakkyWabbit says:
If the Fire accidently gets powered on, it should go into sleep mode after a short period. So is something constantly pushing your power button?
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Introducing Fire-Setting an Entirely New Standard for a Tablet under $50
0 18 days ago
Introducing the All-New Fire HD: Powerful Tablets Designed for Entertainment
0 18 days ago
Welcome to the Kindle Discussion Forum - A Congregation of Kindle Enthusiasts
0 Mar 20, 2015
Fire HDX 8.9, Versus Fire HD 10 49 29 seconds ago
kindle questions 289 39 seconds ago
83 and we're RAoKing PRIME 2543 2 minutes ago
Al's Place 36 Degrees of Separation 25 3 minutes ago
KINDLE KITCHEN #5: Home of Family, Friends and Good Food 3349 4 minutes ago
The Quirkier, The Better! Bring Your Dogs, Cats, Exploding Chickens, So Geese, Fighting Turkeys, Goats, Fluffy Sheep, Cows, Velvet Monkeys, Big Honking Bats, Fishlettes And Cherie! Tally Ho! 803 8 minutes ago
fire tv 0 9 minutes ago
Sling TV on Fire 10 tablet? 3 12 minutes ago
How does the Kindle Fire work? 46 13 minutes ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  10
Total posts:  18
Initial post:  Apr 9, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 11, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions