Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

FREE Books & Chat Wed. Nov. 14, 2012

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 160 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 13, 2012 9:46:01 PM PST
Courtney says:
Welcome, Welcome!

I was excited to get started on Christmas Shopping yesterday with a Kindle Fire for my Mother in law. Anyone else gifting a Kindle for Christmas?

***********************************************************************************

AUTHORS - THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR SELF PROMOTION.
Please do not post your books or post links to your books here.
Self-promotion violates Amazon's Terms of Service, is not welcomed by customers, and will be reported to Amazon.

***********************************************************************************
FREE BOOK LINKS

http://www.ereaderiq.com/free/
http://us.kinlib.com
dailyfreebooks.com

Please come back and tell us what you get from the free links, or what you thought of the book after you've read it!

Thank you to all who post. Hellos, and other comments help keep us on the first page for everyone to find.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Starter Schedule:

Adams - Thursday, Nov 15th Start Time 11pm to Midnight PST
Robb - Friday, Nov 16th Start Time 11pm to Midnight PST
TnT - Saturday, Nov 17th Start Time 7-8 CST at latest
DonnaBeeGood - Sunday, November 18th Start Time 11:30pm MST on November 17th
Leonard Little - Monday, November 19 Start Time 12:30 am PST
Zoo Keeper - Tuesday, Nov 20th Start Time 6-7 am EST
Robb - Wednesday, November 21 Start Time 11pm to Midnight PST
Robb - Thursday, November 22 Start Time 11pm to Midnight PST
Kay Kay - Friday, November 23 Start Time 12:30-1:30 am EST
Kay Kay - Saturday, November 24 Start Time 12:30-1:30 am EST
Leonard Little - Monday, November 26 Start Time 12:30 am PST
Lover of Books - Friday, Nov. 30 Start Time 12:30am PST

Open Dates:

Sunday, November 25
Tuesday, November 27
Wednesday, November 28
Thursday, November 29
Friday, November 30
Saturday, December 1

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
*** Please consider volunteering to be a thread starter. ***
Choose an available day, copy/paste schedule into a post and add your info. If you want to start, but aren't sure how, let us know and we will help you! Thank You!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Book Discussion: We are currently reading NOT FREE RISE OF THE DRAKYN (Sword of Souls) NOT FREE
Our Discussion will be on Friday, December 7, 2012.
Nominations for January's Book will be December 8, 2012.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Here is the link to yesterdays thread:
http://www.amazon.com/forum/kindle?_encoding=UTF8&cdForum=Fx1D7SY3BVSESG&cdMSG=addedToThread&cdPage=1&cdThread=Tx2JNC64DUKK06O&newContentID=Mx3LR26GZCTYXE3&newContentNum=98#CustomerDiscussionsNRPB

Posted on Nov 14, 2012 3:09:03 AM PST
Off of my wish list this morning
Ashes to Ashes and Cinder to Cinder ( A Grimm Diaries Prequel #2 )

Posted on Nov 14, 2012 3:28:15 AM PST
From my wish list today....
ToxiCity (Georgia Davis Prequel)

Posted on Nov 14, 2012 4:22:51 AM PST
~nospin says:
Dead In The Water (Rebecca Schwartz Mystery #4) (The Rebecca Schwartz Series)

Posted on Nov 14, 2012 4:46:35 AM PST
Suze says:
Thanks Courtney!

Will your MIL be surprised by her gift?? That will be nice!

Posted on Nov 14, 2012 4:56:25 AM PST
Suze says:
Trusting God: Even When Life Hurts with Bonus Content By Jerry Bridges.

I am still moved to tears by how people on the east coast are suffering and what they have lost, as I sit in my intact and warm family room. Our church collected money and we will send it to a church in NY City, where 100% goes to relief.

@ Zoo

Do you think Elizabeth would accept gift cards from us for her to pass out to her hurting neighbors? She probably has a new mailing address by now for her apt. If she doesn't think it's a good idea right now we can wait or do something else!

Posted on Nov 14, 2012 5:22:37 AM PST
4Nbahu says:
From the onehundredfreebooks.com This portion of today's selections are kids books

Sir Alex and the Missing Toys

Where is my Turkey? - A Thanksgiving Picture book for children (Spot It)

The Mystery of Smugglers Cove (The Mystery Series, Book 1)

Lester the Laddiebug

The Awkward Owl

The Bath Time Book - A Fun Children's Picture Book (Sweet Dreams Bedtime Stories, book 1)

Dolphins: Amazing Photos & Fun Facts on Animals in Nature (Our Amazing World Series)

Dolphins! Learn About Dolphins While Learning To Read - Dolphin Photos And Facts Make It Easy! (Over 45+ Photos of Dolphins)

Lizzy's Big Adventure - A Beautifully Illustrated Children's Picture Book (Sweet Dreams Bedtime Stories, book 2)

Posted on Nov 14, 2012 5:41:49 AM PST
4Nbahu says:
My selections part 2 from onehundredfreebooks.com Mixed bag of stuff..

Hand-Knitted Electricity (First Edition)

The Guardian's Mark (A Guardian Circle Novel)

Lumberjack In Love

Heller unread yellow banner 09/17/2012

Customers Say The Stupidest Things (Volume One)

Bad Radio (The Emergent Earth)

Always Remember to Tip Your Ninja: And Other Maxims for the Clinically Absurd

Learn The Secret to Short Sheeting a Bed

Dulce De Leche - 27 Decadent Recipes Using Dulce De Leche

A Place Beyond The Map

Posted on Nov 14, 2012 6:00:01 AM PST
B.J. says:
Good morning. I got some updates in my email today, but the 'update available' option on MYK is not shown in the drop-down box. Anyone else?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2012 6:09:59 AM PST
yes

Posted on Nov 14, 2012 6:14:22 AM PST
Just Peachy says:
Ripple - A Dolphin Love Story

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2012 6:16:32 AM PST
excellent book, snag it while its free, most of us RAOKers loved it!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2012 6:30:07 AM PST
Lyn says:
@Pat, are you a lurker?

She not only beat me here but gave me the easy link. :)

For those of you who look at and read the ratings, well, I haven't read the book so I can't tell if it is worthy of all the 5 stars but don't bet against it. I just "know" her from another totally different thread.

Ripple - A Dolphin Love Story

Have you ever wondered what goes on in the great marine intellects of the whales and dolphins? What wonders might they have achieved during the tens of millions of years of planetary rule they enjoyed before humans came down from the trees?

Recently, forces from the universe decided that the time had come for humans to hear the defining story of their planet. This book is that story. Are we the last intelligent beings in the developed universe to hear it?

Live awhile in Ocean Mind. Be prepared to forget your human material obsessions as you slip away and dance the waves with the young female dolphin Ripple. A divine narrator of the Hereafter sweeps you from Ripple's life in the unimaginably distant past to the not-so-distant future where you can see Ripple's impact on modern humanity. Follow Ripple as she negotiates the beauties and horrors of the ancient oceans and falls in love with the fighter Cosmo in the wild surf of Point Savage. Be there beside her when love stimulates her to a single achievement which brings renown to this planet, changes the universe forever, exalts the angels and ensures Ripple's fame will outlive the planet itself.

Posted on Nov 14, 2012 6:31:19 AM PST
Lyn says:
Not that I am nominating it for book discussion but remind me how books are chosen again? I mean, other than Leo's. :)

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2012 6:36:17 AM PST
Just Peachy says:
I'm a sometimes lurker :)

Posted on Nov 14, 2012 6:40:48 AM PST
Robb says:
Okay. Then I will be nice. Thanks.

Posted on Nov 14, 2012 6:49:57 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 14, 2012 6:58:04 AM PST
4Nbahu says:
Diwali season is officially over. The horrible hazy air that we have had the past two weeks became unbreathable last night as the entire city set off tons of firecrackers. Luckily my BIL is a doctor and so as my breathing turned to wheezing , my son was able to pick up two inhalers. So for all of you who have some nice crisp clean winter air. I am very very very jealous.

Thanks Courtney for starting the thread. I am a last minute shopper, because no one in my house can keep from snooping for and shaking boxes.

ETA because of too much celebration my language skills have gone done the tubes

Posted on Nov 14, 2012 6:54:35 AM PST
Suze says:
Perspective on BLACK FRIDAY By Jon Katz ( author and blogger)

I was driving to town, listening to the radio the other day and I heard an interviewer ask a Black Friday Shopping Consultant - the title just makes me blink - what she might advise people to do on Black Friday. Well, said the interviewer, officious and earnest: First, examine all of the retail websites carefully before shopping, including the price comparison sites that will list the best bargains. Second, wear sneakers and loose-fitting clothes, so that you will have solid footing and not be trampled, as someone was last year. (Two shoppers last year also brought tasers to stores, she reminded us, to stun fellow bargain-hunters.) Then, make sure you have your address and identification papers so your family can be notified if you are crushed or injured. Bring food and water, as you might be stuck in long lines and become fatigued, even collapse. Most retailers are setting up first-aid stations as well as hiring extra security guards.

Please, she said, leave your children at home as the mobs in mall parking lots and stores are not safe, and children can be more easily trampled or injured. Have cell phones so you can coordinate shopping with friends and family members and also tell them where you are if you get lost. I was struck by this interview, in that it seemed to me the instructions for holiday shopping on Black Friday were almost identical to those given soldiers entering combat zones in Iraq and Afghanistan. The so-called "good" retailers, the small and community-minded ones, are responding with "Plaid Fridays", cash mobs and gentler, greener, more wholesome retailing, if there is such a thing. Spend your money quietly and in greater safety. I have always known I was odd and strange, but sometimes I think the world is crazier than I am.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2012 6:59:10 AM PST
Robb says:
Which is why we tend to spend that Friday over at the cabin walking in the woods.

Posted on Nov 14, 2012 6:59:49 AM PST
Thank you for starting Courtney.

Thriller
Death in the Pyrenees

Horror
THE EVERTO ADDO
The Box (The Temple of the Blind #1) (suspense)
Demonworld Book 4: Shepherd of Wolves (I missed book 3! )

Science Fiction
The CFR Collusion (The New World Order Revolution Series) (dystopian future)

Historical Fiction
A Killing Among The Dead (Egypt, mystery)

Posted on Nov 14, 2012 7:07:37 AM PST
Just Peachy says:
Historical Fiction

Ravenscraig

Family Saga
Dog Days of Summer (Moonridge Memories)

Posted on Nov 14, 2012 7:14:06 AM PST
Zoo Keeper says:
Good morning,
Courtney, thank you for the start. Son finished the book you loaned him and loved it. I'm very thankful to you for offering it to him.

I'm not overly happy at the moment. I had gone through the dailyfreebooks site and was all the way down to the second (last) page of Romance when my computer shut off to update itself. Now I have to start over. Of course, Son said (in the smug way only a teen can manage) you just missed the warning. AAARRRGGG I'll come back with books in a bit. (maybe it'll go faster this time)

@4Nbahu I'm sorry you're having breathing problems. Who would have thought a celebration would cause wheezing and the need for medical care. Makes you wonder how many others were affected the same way.

@Suze I avoid Black Friday Sales like the plague!! My sis loves them. When Hubby and I first married his sister and niece (a yr older than me) invited me to join them. I never wanted to, but that's a hard time to refuse. One hour into the madness I swore, if I survived, I'd never, never, ever do it again!!! Ever!!! I'm 5' tall and 105lbs. I thought I was going to be suffocated, trampled, or just plain squashed!!

RE: Elizabeth I will email her and ask how she feels about doing that and let everyone know. It may take a couple of days or so for her to get back to me. I will let you guys know as soon as she does though.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2012 7:19:55 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 14, 2012 7:28:55 AM PST
Leo Little says:
I 1 clicked this just in case it's nominated for Jan......Thanks Robb

ETA thanks for getting us started this morning, Courtney

I usually stay home on Black Friday...but I want to get a kindle and I figure the best deal will be black Friday...best buy..
Leo

Posted on Nov 14, 2012 7:20:18 AM PST
Arthur Cloud says:
Has anyone really ever read a good FREE book? If so, please post the title. Thank you!

Posted on Nov 14, 2012 7:32:55 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 14, 2012 7:34:45 AM PST
4Nbahu says:
Still Life With Murder (Nell Sweeney Mystery Series, Book 1) read yellow banner from 06/19/2012 Light Mystery

Just saw this was for free again. Just a warning this is a 6 story mystery light romance series. While the mystery arcs are completed within each book the romance is threaded throughout the 6 books. Therefore the series should be read in order. Also as much as I liked books 1-5, I truly disliked the final installment because it read as if it was just slapped together to get it out. But it does wrap everything up, so wait until it is offered for free unless you are desperate to know what happens.

ETA just read it and realized I sounded a bit heavy handed. I apologize, I will try and be less bossy next time.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
NEWS: New Update for Kindle for Android 4.6
89 12 hours ago
Announcement
Update re: Amazon/Hachette Business Interruption
0 Jul 29, 2014
Announcement
Hachette/Amazon Business Interruption
0 May 27, 2014
Announcement
Have a Kindle Question?
0 Sep 12, 2012
Dragi's Croatian Crab Shack and Wine Bar - The times they are a changin' 3625 1 minute ago
We're an International Quirky Bunch! Put on Your Chiffon and Taffeta, Sashay In, Pet a Midnight Goat, Cat or Dog, Crack Open Your Stelvin Closures and Say "Hi" to Cherie! 4379 3 minutes ago
Amazon Prime 7 3 minutes ago
So How Do You Really Feel About Amazon's Take Over of Goodreads 21 4 minutes ago
Al's Place 35mm 2597 11 minutes ago
AudioBooks on Amazon Unlimited 5 13 minutes ago
HDX Battery drains rapidly when using Origami cover on Instant Video 209 16 minutes ago
FREE Books & Chat - Saturday 30th August, 2014 53 18 minutes ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  45
Total posts:  160
Initial post:  Nov 13, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 16, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 5 customers

Search Customer Discussions