Automotive Deals Summer Reading Shop Women's Clothing Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Crown the Empire Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis STEM Segway miniPro
Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

Fire won't connect to wifi

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 28 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 12, 2012 5:43:54 PM PST
My fire won't connect to my home wifi. The wireless networking message turns gray and nothing happens. The wifi is working because my iPad connects. Does anyone have any suggestions

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 12, 2012 5:46:07 PM PST
SR, has it been connected previously?

Posted on Dec 12, 2012 5:47:36 PM PST
Yes. It was working fine two days ago.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 12, 2012 6:05:28 PM PST
You can either reset your router, which is the quickest, or re-enter your wi-fi info into the Fire.

To reset your router, do not just turn your router off.....unplug it from the power source for at least 60 seconds and then plug it back in and wait until all of the lights come on. (This will not affect your other devices)

Try to connect with your Fire again. Should work. If not, Click on add wi-fi. Enter SSID and passcode.

Posted on Dec 14, 2012 4:57:41 AM PST
Thank you for your suggestions. I tried both of these things, but it still wouldn't work. In fact it just kept giving me error messages. I didn't know what else to do until my husband (who has never even touched either of my kindles) told me to do that button thing that I did the last time my KK had problems. I took his advice and did a hard reset and it worked. I now have a wifi connection and no error messages.

Posted on Dec 14, 2012 5:11:29 AM PST
Jaws says:
We were having the same problem yesterday. All PC, Mac's and Kindles in the house were connecting without difficulty. The Kindle Fire HD was constantly disconnecting; the Fire is approximately 1 week old and this is our first instance of trouble. After resetting the router several times or reconnecting the Fire, we contacted Customer Service. We were told that this happens, so just reset the router when it does. Hopefully this is a glitch that they can fix!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 23, 2012 3:24:46 AM PST
"my husband told me to do that button thing that I did the last time my KK had problems. I took his advice and did a hard reset and it worked. I now have a wifi connection and no error messages"
Please explain this button thing for me! I have the exact same issue with my daughter's Kindle Fire and I want to try out your solution. What is the hard reset you speak of? Thanks, Annie

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 24, 2012 6:11:08 PM PST
Yes it was a hard reset. As soon as the fire restarted the wifi connected. Good luck I hope this works for you.

Posted on Dec 30, 2012 10:16:18 AM PST
JANK says:
I have had this type of No Internet problem with Apple products (Macbook, iPhones) and now my Daughter's Kindle Fire. My guess is these devices are having a DHCP problem that PCs don't have. Anyway if setting your Primary DNS to Google's 8.8.8.8 doesn't work (this was the Apple solution) then go to network settings and change from Dynamic to Static and enter the following:

IP 10.10.10.<a number above 20 to be sure>
Router usually 10.10.10.1
Submask 255.255.255.0
DNS1 8.8.8.8

From my experience and I have an IT background, it is NOT any upgrade or reset or anything but the network settings are screwed up. In laymans terms, the device is 'lost' and has no bearing on where to find a pointer (DNS) in the Internet. Good luck.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 7, 2013 5:40:57 PM PST
C. Munoz says:
Thanks so much! I also tried resetting my router, entering my SSID/passcode again, etc... and they didn't work. I typed in the static settings as you listed and it works! You've saved me a lot of frustration. :-)

Posted on Mar 28, 2014 1:11:22 PM PDT
Kevin says:
I had this problem with my son's kindle fire. Here is what worked for me: I went in to my router's settings under parental control/access. The kindle was listed and there was no restriction but it still wouldn't work. I clicked on add device, then clicked on all guest devices. The X next to the bars on the kindle disappeared, and it now connects. Hope this helps.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 22, 2014 11:07:37 PM PDT
Linda says:
By hard reset do you mean go back to factory settings? I am having the same problem. Thanks.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 14, 2015 12:57:21 PM PDT
Did you ever fix the problem I'm having the same issue

Posted on Jul 23, 2015 10:06:46 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Jul 24, 2015 12:21:20 AM PDT]

Posted on Jul 24, 2015 12:21:04 AM PDT
My kindle fire hdx and my Dad's kindle fire is connected to our wifi but my mum's won't connect after it had been connected in the past. Every time I try to reconnect her it comes up with DCHP error. Can anyone help or have any suggestions of what I could try to fix this.
Thank you

Posted on Jul 29, 2015 9:34:03 PM PDT
My HDX won't connect to public network at work. How do I enable b g or n compatibility?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2015 7:02:26 AM PST
Yes

Posted on Dec 26, 2015 6:10:14 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Dec 26, 2015 6:10:31 PM PST]

Posted on Feb 20, 2016 6:40:20 AM PST
Chris says:
I've just got the kindle fire tv box, and it won't connect to my wifi. I've read the recent posts but must admit I don't understand some of them. I've unplugged the router for 5 mins unplugged the fire to box too. But everything is still the same, signal strength either says 'not in range' or 'fair' alternating between the two, the other alternating messages are 'scanning, disabled, authenticating, and disconnected.' Can anyone help, but please in very laymens English, thanks in advance. CG

Posted on Feb 22, 2016 11:53:59 AM PST
Judy says:
I have exactly the same issue as Chris. This started when AT&T installed a new router. The Fire won't connect to the new router.

Posted on Mar 12, 2016 3:39:06 PM PST
Ms. Lee says:
My fire stick will not show any wifi at all .I have unplugged the fire stick a few times and also reset my wifi any suggestions? I have time warner internet

Posted on Apr 16, 2016 5:42:50 PM PDT
How do you make it do a "hard reset" what is the "button thing "

Posted on Apr 17, 2016 1:05:21 PM PDT
my amazon fire tv told my storage is low and then the itstop i was trying to and the net and all stop working cant connect to the net it wont show the availabe nets it is grey

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 17, 2016 3:27:03 PM PDT
Snoozy says:
what device do you have?

Posted on Apr 22, 2016 1:19:17 PM PDT
Hope this hasn't already been posted but I didn't see any recent activity with the problem I'm seeing. The amazon Fire TV in the master bedroom will not connect to wifi though the networks do show up as options. Both of my kids have Fire Sticks in their rooms that connect and work fine. They are all about the same distance from the router. XFINITY has checked the connections and everything is fine. I've done all the resets, even went back to factory settings on the Fire TV. I'm beginning to think its a problem with the specific Fire Tv box. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Thanks!
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
Now Live - Join the Kindle Discussion Session
1347 4 hours ago
Announcement
Critical Software Update for Kindle E-Readers
0 Mar 23, 2016
Announcement
Welcome to the Kindle Discussion Forum - A Congregation of Kindle Enthusiasts
0 Mar 20, 2015
FREE Books and Chat - July 2016 585 2 minutes ago
2015 Fire unable to see books on SD after factory reset 13 3 minutes ago
If I really enjoyed Devil in the White City by Erik Larson, what books would you recommend that are similar? 29 30 minutes ago
Kindle Fire + Google Play? 295 51 minutes ago
new Kindle's music section problem 0 56 minutes ago
Mr.Spock son of Serek for President 5 1 hour ago
What ebook topic would you buy as soon as you saw it? 2 1 hour ago
Freebie Books - Links Only - No Self Promotion IV 7950 1 hour ago
86th RAoK - Let the Games Begin 2099 1 hour ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  23
Total posts:  28
Initial post:  Dec 12, 2012
Latest post:  May 15, 2016

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 8 customers

Search Customer Discussions