Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Fifth Harmony Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Father's Day Gifts Amazon Cash Back Offer bighero bighero bighero  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now
Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

What movie formats does kindle fire support?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 114 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 22, 2011 7:31:09 AM PST
D. Cole says:
I am trying to copy a home movie in .mov format. Should this work?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 22, 2011 7:31:55 AM PST
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 22, 2011 7:32:05 AM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Mar 14, 2012 11:32:56 AM PDT]

Posted on Nov 22, 2011 9:50:53 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 22, 2011 9:51:21 AM PST
Hello D. Cole,

Thank you Coleen--the Cranberry Colonist & Greg for your input!

In order to view any non-Amazon purchased videos on your Kindle Fire, they must be in a compatible format. Kindle Fire supports video files that are in .MP4 and .VP8 formats. You can side-load (download and transfer via USB cable) these videos to your Kindle fire. Compatible video files must be placed in the 'Videos' folder located on your device. Once you have successfully uploaded your videos, you can view them by tapping 'Apps' and then tap 'Gallery'.

I hope this helps!

Best Regards,

Shannon A.
Amazon Kindle Customer Service

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 23, 2011 1:22:53 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 28, 2011 8:50:12 AM PST
Wow, thank you for this info!! I had a video I taped myself on my camcorder (.mp4) and easily saved it to the Kindle via usb, but could not figure out why I couldn't see it under videos!! I did not look in Apps and Gallery. I'm going to go look now. Yup. THANK YOU. I found the videos and the pictures I downloaded all in the gallery and they all play beautifully. Thanks for helping those of us still learning!!!!

Posted on Nov 23, 2011 2:01:58 PM PST
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 23, 2011 2:03:29 PM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Mar 14, 2012 11:33:24 AM PDT]

Posted on Nov 27, 2011 2:31:22 PM PST
R. Keesecker says:
My Kindle Fire does not recognize .mp4 videos I have in my Amazon Cloud. Is recognition of .mp4 videos actually on the device different from recognizing .mp4 videos in my cloud?

Posted on Nov 27, 2011 2:44:06 PM PST
Greg Wright says:

Posted on Nov 27, 2011 3:26:06 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 27, 2011 3:26:46 PM PST
R. Keesecker says:

Posted on Nov 27, 2011 10:46:37 PM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Nov 28, 2011 6:18:07 AM PST]

Posted on Nov 27, 2011 10:55:49 PM PST
Greg Wright says:

Posted on Nov 27, 2011 10:57:54 PM PST
Download es file browser from the market, transfer movie to kindle open file with es. Files won't show up under video, unless purchased through amazon.

Posted on Nov 28, 2011 7:43:07 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 28, 2011 7:44:11 AM PST
R. Keesecker says:
These posts have helped those of us who now understand why videos do not appear nor stream from the cloud unless purchased from Amazon. For the angry and inappropriate poster who apparently doesn't understand this - that this board was not primarily about apps which play videos on the Kindle Fire, and the fact that we are all learning that apps are not needed for playing compatible video formats - I understand why Amazon deleted one of your posts, with the follow-up post no doubt soon to also be deleted by Amazon. For that person, it would help to learn what the Amazon Cloud is. There is a reason Saturday Night Live recently did a routine about people like this. Everyone is learning about this new product. Most of us in this particular board have learned new information.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2011 2:54:12 PM PST
D. Nagy says:
GREAT REPLY R. Keesecker !!! I am kind of a computer "maven".... but this is all new to me too. I was under the impression that Amazon had some kind of UNIVERSAL VIDEO CONVERTER and that ANYTHING that was video and placed in a video folder in the cloud could be streamed OR DOWNLOADED to the Kindle Fire in an acceptable (PLAYABLE) format. Most of my MP3 AUDIO files were uploded and streamed perfectly... of course they take minimum space. I purchased additional cloud space ( 20 GB ) in anticipation of uploading a bunch of digital copy...or AVI. formatted movies from my portable CREATIVE ZEN PLAYER..... but the kindle does does not recognize them. This is a dilemma for me because of the 8 GB limit on Kindle space. If you know how I can get around this problem I would appreciate it. Thank you.

Posted on Nov 28, 2011 6:08:34 PM PST
R. Keesecker says:
Hey, D.N., thanks. Man, stuff like that person posted is all over the internet and I am sure tired of it. Anyway, I too am pretty good at computers and internet matters, so the videos not showing up in the Amazon Cloud when in fact they are there messed up my mind. I too had uploaded some of my favorite movies in .mp4 format so I could watch them on the new Kindle Fire, but deleted them when I found out that doesn't work with videos not purchased through Amazon. I'm not savvy enough to know if there is a workaround for having non-Amazon videos stream from their cloud, but from what I've turned up through internet searches, it appears we are SOL. I may purchase that 20GB of space as you did just so I can upload all my mp3s, but I haven't decided whether or not to go to the trouble and great amount of time it would take for over 120GB of my music to upload. I may just continue to rely on my good ol' classic 160GB iPod and use the Kindle Fire for books, videos and web browsing. Since I am a new Prime member, I do have access to a ton of Amazon movies, plus I subscribe to Netflix, so my Kindle Fire will get a workout. Probably won't use it much for music.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2011 9:04:20 AM PST
Woodwose says:

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 8, 2011 12:51:41 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 8, 2011 1:02:19 PM PST
Actually I'm Bob Stahl but Kathy uses the account more than I.

This is probably common knowledge by now, but you can transfer files from your PC to a Kindle with a USB-to-mini-USB connector, like the one that came with the original Kindle. The preferred video format is MP4. I transferred severeal to my Fire and couldn't find them until I saw the note here about using the App "Gallery". It may not be immediately intuitive or the easiest of all ways to access them, but it works and I got over it. MP3s work as well. There are MANY format-adjusting programs for audio video and e-book, both free and commercial, all as close as a <search engine of choice> search.

Ripping a movie from a DVD you own is another matter entirely that I will leave for someone else to discuss.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 9, 2011 12:19:31 PM PST
Richard Case says:

Posted on Dec 13, 2011 4:27:45 AM PST
Lisa Serad says:

Posted on Dec 22, 2011 1:57:54 PM PST
Thanks to all (that are displayed) for your insights. I hve been successful in loading .mp4 videos to the fire and they play................sideways. can't seem to rotate the image - any ideas?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 25, 2011 10:06:42 AM PST
I tried this...I have a number of Digital Copy movies that are in MP4 format. I transferred one to my new Kindle Fire and then went to the gallery app. It indicated that there was a movie, but said it was not in a supported format, although I double-checked that the movie was a MP4. Is this something that you are planning to fix? I would love to watch some of Digital Copy movies on my Fire if possible.

Posted on Dec 26, 2011 8:13:11 AM PST
I didn't see it in this thread so I thought I'd post just in case. I convert my own videos and store my movies on my PC in .M4V format which is also an MPEG-4 video format. My son and daughter just got the Fire for Christmas and I was trying it out. I uploaded one to the videos folder and then, like others because it isn't intuitive, didn't find it until I read this post about it being in the Gallery instead of the Video area. The .m4v format worked perfectly!
If any of you Kindle people are reading this, why, pray tell, doesn't the videos that I manually load to the Fire show up in the video area when I select "Device" rather than "Cloud"????? I would bet a large some of money that most computer savvy people will load a movie and go straight to the Videos section of the Fire and expect their movie to be there. Instead you put it in a Gallery?? Your developers get negative marks for that!

Posted on Dec 26, 2011 8:25:56 AM PST
Marylontchar says:
Just curious, when you play the M4V formatterd video, does it take up the whole screen (landscape so to say) or portrait (uses 1/3 of the screen) As for device/cloud - what it bolils down too is Amzon buids in the cost of storage (cloud) for iiems you buy.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 26, 2011 7:21:33 PM PST
I coudn't get them to play on the Kire. These are Digital Copy movies I've gotten from various DVD/Blu-Ray purchases over the years. I activated them through iTunes but I didn't see any notice of any copy-protection, but the Kire indicates it doesn't support them. A friend suggested I try an older digitial copy file, but I hate it that I have literally dozens of movies that I would like to watch on the Fire (and would be able to on an iPad) but can't watch on the Fire. And I'm not re-purchasing all of these...
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
Critical Software Update for Kindle E-Readers
0 Mar 23, 2016
Announcement
Welcome to the Kindle Discussion Forum - A Congregation of Kindle Enthusiasts
0 Mar 20, 2015
85° and Sunny - A Perfect Day to RAOK! 6697 2 minutes ago
Discounted / Price Dropped Kindle eBooks III 9227 8 minutes ago
KINDLE KITCHEN #5: Home of Family, Friends and Good Food 7997 15 minutes ago
Free Books and Chat (FB&C)---May 2016 856 22 minutes ago
Turning Kindle Paperwhite OFF 37 34 minutes ago
Windows 10 does not give me option to eject device from drive 2 40 minutes ago
Freebie Books - Links Only - No Self Promotion IV 7456 42 minutes ago
Multiple Profiles on Kindle Fire HD's 16 1 hour ago
kid's kindle fire..App Unavailable: SD Card Not Found??? 102 1 hour ago
May Informal Poll -- what are you reading? 212 2 hours ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  80
Total posts:  114
Initial post:  Nov 22, 2011
Latest post:  Jan 14, 2016

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 29 customers

Search Customer Discussions