Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

Kindle Fire + Google Play?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 277 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 26, 2012 8:34:46 AM PDT
A food lover says:
So Google Play does not support the Kindle Fire. Is this Amazon's responsibility or Google's? There are apps on GP that I would really like to be able to use.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 26, 2012 8:37:35 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 26, 2012 8:37:42 AM PDT
A. Dietz says:
If you have another android device you can sideload apps from Google Play to your Kindle Fire. Google "How to sideload android apps to Kindle Fire" for instructions. You can also go to other android app sites like getjar.com and download apps directly to your Kindle Fire. Not all apps from Google Play work on the Kindle Fire. Any app that looks for a microphone, a camera, or GPS for location services probably won't work.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 26, 2012 8:38:16 AM PDT
Jazzy_Jeff says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 26, 2012 8:40:04 AM PDT
Google Play is the new name for the Google Android App store. Amazon intentionally choose not to pay for access to this marketplace (Google charges for access), so that people who buy the Fire would use Amazon's app store. Amazon is trying to create an integrated user experience with their own hardware and app store. Allowing access to Google Play would kill their own new app store.

If those apps on GP are really that important to you, a Fire may not be your best choice. Although note that there are many places to get (legal) apps outside the Amazon store. Getjar.com is one a lot of people use.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 26, 2012 8:40:24 AM PDT
A food lover says:
Thank you--this is helpful information. Unfortunately, I'm not equipped to sideload from another android device right now (don't have anything else), but it's great to know for the future.

It's true that not all android apps are Fire-compatible . . .

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 26, 2012 8:46:57 AM PDT
A food lover says:
Thank you--the difference between the two app stores was the detail with which I was not familiar. I first "met" Google Play very recently when a particular customized workplace-related app was posted there--my KF is my first android device, and so I never visited the older Google app store.

I've been able to get most of what I want/need through the Amazon app store anyway, but it's good to understand the difference.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 26, 2012 8:58:36 AM PDT
jsh1120 says:
@A food lover,

You seem to have misunderstood the term "sideload." It doesn't mean to download from another device. It simply means using a "side door" for installation of an app by downloading an ".apk" file to your device from the web. Websites like "getjar" and "1mobile" provide thousands of free apps that can be directly "sideloaded" to your Kindle Fire.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 27, 2012 9:01:56 PM PDT
Jess says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Mar 28, 2012 6:10:48 AM PDT
art says:
What has not been said is that you CAN install google play on your Fire if you are willing to do a little hacking ("root" your Fire). It's not something everyone will want to do though. If you look in google for how to do this, you will probably want to search for installing Android Market, since most of those instructions were put together before it was renamed to google play.

I have to say that it IS nice to have the actual Google Play app on my Fire. It makes loading and updating the apps very simple and it includes the same kind of compatibility check that the Amazon appstore has. But it is not strictly necessary when there are the alternative app stores already mentioned.

Posted on Mar 28, 2012 6:13:56 AM PDT
Sek Sameath says:
that's great to use Amazon app store instead of google play but for the user whose outside the USA and does not get any USA credit card are unable to purchase or download any app from amazon store.
that's great to getjar or 1mobile but when there is update we are not able to update it.

i hope that amazon will take off the restriction that only credit card created in USA that can purchase app on the store, and put app store open to the outside USA.

should they aware of that their product is selling international and not locally (USA only).

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 31, 2012 11:35:32 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 31, 2012 11:37:21 AM PDT
@A Food Lover

Inspite of what some misinformed, senile and opinionated people will tell you. You are in fact equipped to "Sideload" apps from some android devices and a computer, if you have one at home, and are using a WiFi Router.

WiFi File Explorer Pro, from the Kindle Store, will allow you to sideload "transfer" apps, files, and or photo's, from any device that you can connect to via WiFi.

Sideload, if fact refers to the practice of transferring any app, folder, file, from any device to the SD Card "storage" of your Kindle Fire. Whether you do this by microUSB cable tether or WiFi tether.

While not yet, but soon I will be covering this in my blog, located at:

michaelskindle.wordpress.com

Have a great day

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 31, 2012 1:04:02 PM PDT
Jazzy_Jeff says:

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 31, 2012 1:13:27 PM PDT

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 31, 2012 1:43:36 PM PDT
Jazzy_Jeff says:

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 31, 2012 1:55:55 PM PDT
Vicki says:
I am aeeing apps on Google Play that specifically say they are for Kindle Fire.....

Posted on Mar 31, 2012 2:05:31 PM PDT
But, you cannot download them with the Kindle Fire, or your computer. Have to have another android device. You may get a friend with an android device to download them for you, and you sideload them.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 31, 2012 2:12:30 PM PDT
Vicki says:
Is there a place where I can find out how to "sideload"?

Posted on Mar 31, 2012 2:17:54 PM PDT
@Vicki L Taylor

Sideloading, is what you are doing when you hook up "tether" you kindle fire to you computer, and transfer file from you computer to your kindle fire, or vice versa.
You can also tether via WiFi, with an app, "WiFi File Explorer Pro" which you can get at the Kindle Store.
You can also have you friend email you with the app attached to the file then when you read the email, you can also download the app.
The downloaded app will be stored in the Download folder of you Kindle Fire.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 1, 2012 11:32:17 AM PDT
Fact Finder says:

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 1, 2012 11:34:09 AM PDT
Jazzy_Jeff says:

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 1, 2012 11:35:42 AM PDT

Posted on Apr 1, 2012 12:08:26 PM PDT
C. Medina says:
or you can just root your device and install google play on your kindle

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 1, 2012 12:10:38 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 1, 2012 12:19:14 PM PDT
Q says:
A Food Lover,
Do note that GetJar.com will require you to load their app onto your Fire first before you can get apps from them. Easy to do and it works for me. Online, you'll see that trying to get an app pops up with a request to name your device (Amazon Kindle Fire), but after this, it will ask you to load their app on the Fire. You then use the app on the Fire to locate and d/l their apps.

Freewarelovers.com/android is another good site for Android apps. The site seems clean (no ads cluttering and no sign-up).

SlideMe.org also carries apps.

Also download.pandaapp.com.

Usually, I go to these sites via the Fire itself, so no need to sideload. Then I use the brwoser's download menu item to select the file to install or I use Quickoffice's 'Browser" button to find and launch the install file.

Lastly, note that often the Fire, when asked to d/l an APK install file, will appear to do it silently. Not like Windows. You can look in the 'Notifications' by a tap in the upper left of the upper task bar to see if a file is d/ling or d/led.

* So there you have 4 sites listed that carry Android apps.

Posted on Apr 1, 2012 6:19:12 PM PDT
Vicki says:
Thanks, Q! I was able to get all 4 working and can download apps. Still not seeing all the ones I want, but am closer now....

Posted on Apr 3, 2012 6:29:30 AM PDT
Ok so I used the pandaapp one and it let ne download the apps but I cant open them why is tha
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
News: Kindle for iOS Update 4.9 Now Available
0 1 hour ago
Announcement
Welcome to the Kindle Discussion Forum - A Congregation of Kindle Enthusiasts
0 Mar 20, 2015
Announcement
Meet other story lovers at Write On by Kindle
60 8 days ago
Announcement
Enjoy your print books and personal documents on your Kindle with Kindle Convert.
0 Feb 2, 2015
May Informal Poll--What are you reading 419 27 seconds ago
We're So Quirky, Our Chihuahuas Ride Bicycles! So Geese and Tally Ho! 8589 58 seconds ago
KINDLE KITCHEN #5: Home of Family, Friends and Good Food 220 2 minutes ago
kindle fire will not turn on even when plugged in 0 3 minutes ago
What happens someday if Amazon closes down kindle? 63 4 minutes ago
The Onion Blog 12 4 minutes ago
Music on Kindle Free Time? 42 7 minutes ago
Book doesn't work 14 9 minutes ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  96
Total posts:  277
Initial post:  Mar 26, 2012
Latest post:  Feb 7, 2015

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 45 customers

Search Customer Discussions