Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

Kindle for Belgium

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 39 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 9, 2012 3:43:30 AM PST
Can I buy a Kindle (e-reader) in Belgium?. If yes from what amazon shop (Germany, UK or global (.com))? The same question for the content. From what website does it have to purchased?

Thanks

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 9, 2012 4:02:24 AM PST
Raf - If you are living in Belgium you can purchase Kindle Paperwhite 3G, Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle, Kindle Keyboard, and Kindle Keyboard 3G.

Kindle content can be purchased from Amazon.fr or Amazon.com.

From the UK website:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/help/customer/display.html/ref=hp_left_cn?ie=UTF8&nodeId=200829280#where

Posted on Dec 9, 2012 4:05:26 AM PST
CBRetriever says:
amazon.com for the Kindle

and either amazon.com or amazon.fr

Belgium:

If you are living in Belgium you can purchase Kindle Paperwhite 3G, Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle Touch, Kindle Touch 3G, Kindle, Kindle Keyboard, Kindle Keyboard 3G and Kindle DX from Amazon.com. (this isn't quite accurate as the only ones currently available are the ones I'll list below)

Kindle content can be purchased from Amazon.fr or Amazon.com.

Kindle, 6" E Ink Display, Wi-Fi (Previous Generation - 5th) - for international shipment

The Paperwhite will probably be released early next year and these two say currently unavailable:

Kindle Keyboard 3G, Free 3G + Wi-Fi, 6" E Ink Display, 3G Works Globally - for international shipment
Kindle Touch, Wi-Fi, 6" E Ink Display - for international shipment

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 9, 2012 4:10:51 AM PST
Thanks you, CBR. I was wondering about the Paperwhite they mentioned as being available in Belgium.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 9, 2012 6:05:46 AM PST
Thanks for letting me know.

I'm working in Germany at the moment. What if I purchase it in Germany. Can I buy E-books with my Belgium account on a German Kindle?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 9, 2012 6:09:27 AM PST
CBRetriever says:
yes, all you have to do is register it to your amazon.com or amazon.fr account

if you buy it from amazon.de, click the this item is a gift or whatever that is in German and it will arrive unregistered and you can register it to the site you want to - to make sure it registers to the correct site, make sure you have separate emails for the three involved

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 9, 2012 9:26:34 AM PST
Can you please explain the difference between registering to the amazon.com /amazon.de /amazon.co.uk or other websites? Do I have the choice? Can I buy different books at different prices dependent on the website I'm registered?
What do you mean by different emails for the three involved?
Thanks

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 9, 2012 9:35:11 AM PST
CBRetriever says:
when you register your kindle, you put in your email and password - that will cause your kindle to be registered to the Kindle Store at which the email/password combination was first used. To prevent that, you can create a new account using a different email on the store to which you wish to register (I have different accounts on amazon.fr and amazon.com using different credit cards and emails)

officially, Belgian residents can nly purchase Kindle content can be from Amazon.fr or Amazon.com, not amazon.de - being that your credit card address is in Europe, you're probably better off shopping from amazon.fr in euros

as to selection of books, all the amazon sites will look at your country setting and put a filter in place so you can only see books that you can legally purchase due to licensing/copyright issues - what this means is that you will see the same selection of books on all the amazon sites. I know this because I have one kindle registered to amazon.fr and my others are registered to amazon.com and I see a bit over 70,000 ebooks in french on both sites and 1.3 million plus ebooks in english on both sites.

Hope I explained it clearly enough, but feel free to ask for clarification on anything

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 9, 2012 12:14:51 PM PST
Dear CBR,

Thanks a lot for your quick answers. All clear to me....

Have a nice evening.

Raf

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 9, 2012 12:19:03 PM PST
CBRetriever says:
you too and don't freeze next week (it's gonna be subzero in Paris next week, so I presume Belgium will be the same)

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 9, 2012 1:01:08 PM PST
Just purchased the simplest Kindle for 79 Euro. Strange but amazon.fr couldn't delever to Belgium. Amazon.com charged 106 Euro. So I bought it from amazon.de and let it expedite to my work in Germany. I asked to deliver an unregistered kindle as you suggested. Quite a hassle to by Kindles in Belgium. Probably the reason why they are quite rare here....

Cheers
Raf

Posted on Feb 26, 2013 5:35:06 AM PST
Jim says:
Isn't it possible to make this more simple for Belgium customers? I'm very interested in buying a kindle but the fact that I have to buy it from Amazon.com will make it too very costly and laborious in case I'm not happy of my product and want to return it.

Posted on Mar 3, 2013 5:25:34 AM PST
Jdlt says:
Im having the same problem. Buying a paperwhite from Amazon.com makes it 15€ more expensive then ordering it from the .fr or .de site.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 3, 2013 5:34:50 AM PST
CBRetriever says:
unfortunately neither amazon.fr nor amazon.de will ship one to you - if you have a friend in either country who could receive one for you and then ship it on to you (that would probably eat up part of the 15€ difference, though)...

Posted on Jun 2, 2013 3:52:58 AM PDT
I'm from belgium and interested in buying a kindle fire HD from amazon.com
I saw on the website that video streaming only works if you have an american creditcard, that's ok. But I hope I will still be able to buy magazines and books from the kindle store, which my main reason for purchasing the kindle. Are there also restrictions to buying books and magazines from the amazon.com store for belgian users?

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 2, 2013 5:00:20 AM PDT
CBRetriever says:
yes, you'll be fine with books and magazines - the only restrictions will be with what's available for your country settings - I'm in France using amazon.com on my Kindle Fire at the moment

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 2, 2013 5:31:50 AM PDT
The Artist says:
You can check the newsstand and the kindle store before you even buy a Kindle. As long as your country is set to Belgium and you are logged into your account, you will see the books/magazines that are available for purchase in your country.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 4, 2013 2:46:01 AM PDT
Thank you! I have checked for available magazines and newspapers and I just have one more question.
Some major magazines like "Vogue" and "GQ-magazine" are only available through an app, it seems, as opposed to the Subscription button for other magazines like "Men's health". The app costs €0 but it isn't available for Belgium. Does this mean apps aren't available for my country should I buy the kindle fire or the magazines only, or both?

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 4, 2013 3:38:18 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 4, 2013 3:39:26 AM PDT
CBRetriever says:
the apps won't show as actually being available unless you have a Kindle Fire registered to your account

and no, I can't get Vogue or GQ Magazine either (country = France)

but Vogue is available here: http://www.vogue.com/magazine/digitaleditions/

ETA: try the actual websites for the magazines (GQ redirects to Amazon, so that won't work)

Posted on Dec 15, 2013 8:51:58 AM PST
I live in Canada want to buy a Kindle white for a relative in Belgium. Should I order this from Amazon.com or one of the European Amazon sites?

Posted on Jan 21, 2014 5:14:19 AM PST
Hi! I live in Belgium and I tried to order Kindle Paperwhite, from amazon.fr but when I enter my address, it says that shipping to my address is not possible. Does anyone have an idea why this happens.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 21, 2014 6:06:46 AM PST
CBRetriever says:
because you need to buy it from amazon.com - amazon.com handles the various VAT, import duties and shipping fees for kindles. The other Kindle Stores just ship kindles within their regional borders (amazon.de for Germany, amazon.jp for Japan, amazon.fr for France, etc)

here are the links for the paperwhites available for you

Kindle Paperwhite, 6" High Resolution Display with Next-Gen Built-in Light, Wi-Fi
Kindle Paperwhite 3G, 6" High Resolution Display with Next-Gen Built-in Light, Free 3G + Wi-Fi

Posted on Mar 6, 2014 11:43:50 AM PST
W. Jie says:
I don't think it that we can buy a
Kindle, 6" (15 cm), affichage encre électronique E Ink, Wi-Fi, noir
in amazon.fr.....
the only possibility is amazon.com
but I do not like the touch screens. I really prefer an old fashioned one. That's not possible currently.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 6, 2014 12:11:37 PM PST
CBRetriever says:
Yes it is, try this one

Kindle, 6" E Ink Display, Wi-Fi (Previous Generation - 5th) - for international shipment

Posted on Apr 18, 2014 2:17:31 PM PDT
Richard says:
If belgian residents could purchase Kindle from Amazon.fr, they would pay 59 Euro shipped for the Kindle 6" e-ink, and the shipment would probably be from somewhere close to Belgium.
If they could purchase from Amazon.de, they would pay 49 Euro for the same product and service.
Since Amazon only allows belgian residents to purchase a Kindle from Amazon.com, they pay 89$ + 20.98$ (est.) shipping + 23.10$ (est.) import tax, to let it fly from the US to Belgium. Converted to Euro, that is almost double the price the average Western European would pay, not to mention the additional CO2 needed to transport the product from the US to Belgium.
I still believe the Kindle to be an environmentally friendly product, just a bit less friendly for belgian residents, I'm afraid.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  15
Total posts:  39
Initial post:  Dec 9, 2012
Latest post:  Aug 29, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 8 customers

Search Customer Discussions