Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

life watch monitor

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 10 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Aug 9, 2012 10:41:21 AM PDT
i recently bought my mother in law a kindle touch. she wears a life watch monitor around her neck. i think it is interfering with the kindle. the pages are jumping around. anyone else having this problem?

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 9, 2012 10:44:23 AM PDT
J. Donahue says:
Lisa, it's my understanding that the Life Watch personal monitor only transmits when the button is pushed.

Which Kindle does your MIL have? And, what do you mean by "pages jumping around".

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 9, 2012 10:47:21 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 9, 2012 11:04:12 AM PDT
First thing I would do would be to call the monitoring company and find out if they are getting any interferrence or signal drop-out.

Then I would call Amazon and ask if they have received any complaints about this.

Until you are sure the kindle isn't affecting the monitor, I would not use the kindle. As an old nurse, I remember how various things interferred with early pacemakers.

Please err on the side of safety.

Carol, RN

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 9, 2012 10:52:20 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 9, 2012 10:54:19 AM PDT
Dog Lover says:
My closest experience was early in my use of my Kindle Keyboard.

I used a surge-protector strip to recharge my K. That strip was next to my portable phone (which was also plugged into that strip) and my wireless mouse/keyboard.

Every time, the recharge button would blink like crazy and the battery display would show the lightning bolt go on and off. The battery never seemed to actually recharge. I moved the surge-protector strip and all those symptoms went away.

Have no idea if this is reflective of your issue or not.

I agree with Carol Z - not the time to play around with this! Best of luck in finding an answer. Hopefully, your MIL will be able to enjoy her new Kindle device with safety and confidence once that answer is found.

DL

Posted on Aug 9, 2012 10:54:39 AM PDT
Old Rocker says:
It very well could be happening. If you look in the manual of every consumer electronic device sold in the US it states that "this device must accept any interference." This is to eliminate court cases of device A interfering with device B. Bottom line is that it may well be happening, but there is no recourse for the consumer beyond reporting it to the manufacturers. You could contact Life Alert and tell them that you want to do a test alert to verify that the Life Alert will function in the vicinity of the Kindle (or at least that it did when you test it).

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 9, 2012 11:16:01 AM PDT
Is the life watch monitor something she can remove? With someone else there of course. If so, remove the monitor and take it into another room. Then have your mother in law try the Kindle. If the pages are still jumping it could be the way she is touching the screen. I know people have had problems when they don't touch the screen just right.

Posted on Aug 9, 2012 11:18:15 AM PDT
J. Donahue says:
OK, the monitor the OP refers to is not really a "medical" monitor, in the sense of the word. It's a simple button that, when pressed, connects itself to a base station located in the home and alerts a monitoring station located in the city where the OP resides.

The OP's monitor is a simple necklace type affair, very similar to the one in the old "I've fallen, and I can't get up" commercials.

There should NOT be any signal being transmitted from the personal monitor at any time. I worked for an installation subcontractor for these systems, and they're really pretty simple.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 9, 2012 11:21:17 AM PDT
That's what I thought. It's probably more likely that the mother in law is swiping the screen up and down a little instead of just tapping it to turn the page.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 9, 2012 2:33:14 PM PDT
Dragi Raos says:
I would never expect this. Thanks, DL!

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 9, 2012 2:59:08 PM PDT
Dog Lover says:
I didn't either. This forum helped me trouble-shoot the issue. (This would have been late 2010 or so.) If I could find it, I'd link to the thread.

One of the reasons I come here every day is because people are so helpful. I try, when possible (and it isn't often!) to return that favor - pay it forward, if you will.

If we could only deal with such stuff instead of the whiny entitlement things, everyone would find me much more pleasant. (I'm workin' on that but, admittedly, I've made little progress so far.)

Anyway - glad you found the info useful.

DL

OMG!!! We are getting RAIN!! Hallelujah! Sorry - it has just been so long since I've seen that stuff. May have to go take pictures!
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  7
Total posts:  10
Initial post:  Aug 9, 2012
Latest post:  Aug 9, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions