Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

Kindle FreeTime Time Limit Issues

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-7 of 7 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 17, 2012 10:41:38 AM PST
Angie says:
Here's the scenario. My kids are allowed to use about 30-60 minutes of Kindle FreeTime per day (with more time on the weekends). If I have the time limit set during the weekend, and they use up their time early in the day, I'm finding it almost impossible to modify the time to add more (without just turning off the time limit feature all together). This seems like a bug because I can't get it to overwrite the previous time limits I've set for the day. If I change it from 30 minutes to 90 minutes (to give them more time), it doesn't reset. Many times I've had to shut off the timer which really defeats the purpose. Anyone else having this problem and if so, were you able to fix it??

Posted on Dec 17, 2012 12:16:05 PM PST
Fud53 says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Dec 17, 2012 12:20:34 PM PST
Angie says:
Fud53 - I understand this isn't their helpdesk and I know exactly how to contact them. I like the forums though and like to get ideas/recommendations from other users. If I'm not the only one with the problem, Amazon will probably issue an update to fix it (I won't know if there are other users with the issue without submitting a post in the forum). And if I don't get suggestions from other users, I will contact the helpdesk.

Posted on Dec 17, 2012 12:39:44 PM PST
Just put Fud on ignore like the rest of us. He only comes here to tell people to either read the manual or contact Amazon. Apparently he doesn't understand what these forums are for.

Posted on Dec 17, 2012 12:42:58 PM PST
Angie says:
Done. Thanks for your advice, Bruce.

Posted on Jan 14, 2013 8:07:34 AM PST
Jon Daley says:
I just got a kindle, and free time had been working fine, but yesterday and today things have been really flaky.

First issue (that presumably was able to happen before, I never tested it): kids are allowed to remove apps from the device, by clicking and holding on an icon in the carousel, while in free time. I assume that the rest of you can duplicate this behavior?

Second issue: At least in WordWall, in-app purchases are allowed while within free-time. I thought that was blocked, and was blocked previously, at least on other apps.

Today, my son played angry birds for a half hour (limit is set to 15 minutes), and I went to check, and the time limit still says 15 minutes. After checking once or twice, all of a sudden it said, "10 minutes of app time left". My guess is that it didn't record the time because I was playing angry birds earlier today, and so it didn't keep track of his time after entering free-time, and then switching to angry birds, which was already running?

Although, my other son wanted to play an app following my first son, and we switched to his profile, and it gave him 5 minutes of app time, before kicking him out. He put the kindle to sleep but asked if it had already been 15 minutes. I woke the kindle back up (still in free time), and ran the app again, and it worked fine for 20 minutes or so (when we realized that it had gone past the 15 minute marker again.

Somehow it has gotten all messed up, apparently.

Lastly, since I erased angry birds rio - ad free from within free time, when I added it back to the device, it now runs differently than it used to - with lots of "buy me" icons all over the place - it had a bunch of free sample "super-birds", etc. and now has all sorts of places where money can be spent (I haven't tested whether it lets the kids buy stuff yet), but pretty irritating, since I paid for the app, and now I can't let my non-readers use the game any more.

I've reported all of this to amazon's chat support, who promised to forward it on the dev team, but we'll see.

Posted on Jan 14, 2013 10:38:28 AM PST
Angie says:
Regarding your timing issue (the issue I was having), I recently spoke with Amazon customer service and was told to "sync" the device, particularly after I update the time. Sync is one of the options under the top pull down menu (I believe when you're in parent mode). I haven't really tested it, but it makes sense that should fix the timing issue.

I have never seen the device indicate how much time is left. That would be a cool feature if it worked correctly.

Regarding Angry Birds Rio, I'm wondering if you accidentally downloaded the free version instead of the version that you actually purchased. I think if you look at the content on the Cloud you would see the full version there and you can download it to the device again.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
NEWS: New Update for Kindle for Android 4.6
82 8 hours ago
Announcement
Update re: Amazon/Hachette Business Interruption
0 29 days ago
Announcement
Hachette/Amazon Business Interruption
0 May 27, 2014
Announcement
Have a Kindle Question?
0 Sep 12, 2012
Prices 3 6 seconds ago
KINDLE KITCHEN #4: Home of Family, Friends and Good Food! 2746 1 minute ago
FREE Books & Chat - Wed/Thurs August 27 & 28, 2014 99 2 minutes ago
SwagBucks Thread 2521 3 minutes ago
RAoK #78 and still going! 3377 3 minutes ago
Organizing books 6 6 minutes ago
2 year warranty- screen problems covered? 2 11 minutes ago
is there an app for that? 3195 16 minutes ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  4
Total posts:  7
Initial post:  Dec 17, 2012
Latest post:  Jan 14, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions