Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Pink Floyd Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports
Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

Never owned a tablet

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 27 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 20, 2012 1:41:37 PM PST
kelker11 says:
I'm looking at purchasing the Kindle Fire HD 8.9. However, having never owned a tablet at all, I don't want to buy one only to wish I had bought another. I've only briefly watched someone doing a search on their ipad (and I was impressed with the speed). So if I wanted to do the following with a tablet, could the Kindle handle it, or should I go with an ipad?

Go to a religious website and watch a sermon, check my bank balances, purchase clothing or other articles online {ie, not at amazon}, play games from Playrix or Big Fish, do online searches the same as I would on a laptop or desktop?

And if everything is equal in the above requests, in one or two sentences, can you tell me why you would recommend one unit over the other? And I guess I should add, I'm not looking for a tablet to take around with me. It's something I'll be using inside my home and no place else. Thanks for any and all responses.

Posted on Dec 20, 2012 2:12:24 PM PST
This is a customer discussion forum, you aren't talking to Amazon marketing here.

I'm not sure you can play your games on either tablet - if they require Java (and I know Big Fish does, not sure about Playrix) neither tablet supports it.

For the rest of what you listed both are fairly equivalent. I'll add one more thing. For a lot of what you want to do you will also need a WiFi Internet service at your house. If you don't have that you won't find any tablet that will do much for you.

Posted on Dec 20, 2012 2:17:30 PM PST
Bill Hansen says:
If you want unrestricted access to games and shopping sites without ever "sideloading" (going through a few steps to add functionality) a Kindle, then you need a true table PC. However, most of the web sites you'll want to visit (probably even those sermons) can be reached through the Kindle's browser. So - as long as you don't need unrestricted access to everything on the web, the Kindle will do the job for you. Take note, however, that the Kindle is primarily designed (beautifully designed!) as a delivery system for Amazon shopping experiences.

I dithered and fussed for many weeks over whether to get a true tablet, such as the Google Nexus or the Asus Transformer 700, or to get either the Kindle HD 8.9 or the Nook HD (also an 8.9 inch screen. My Kindle HD 8.9 arrived yesterday, and already I can see that there's very little I cannot do with it. I hoped to be pleased with it, but instead I'm delighted with it. It will probably get more use than my laptop computer.

And by the way, get the Kindle HD in the 8.9 size, unless the small bit of additional weight and bulk is a bother to you. And get the Kindle instead of the Nook HD, for many reasons.

Posted on Dec 20, 2012 2:23:17 PM PST
Another thing to add to the plus for the Kindle is Amazon customer service is amazing. Mine came and the software would not communicate with Amazon. They were polite, courteous and I could understand them. They stayed on the phone with me while software downloaded again just to be sure it worked correctly. A friend of mine had her regular Kindle get a black bar across the top, she called up and had a replacement within 2 days and then had to send in her old one. They asked no questions about damage or spills they just quickly took care of her problem. A company that is willing to stand behind their product is worth your money.

Posted on Dec 20, 2012 2:32:12 PM PST
kelker11 - If you are not looking for portability for the device and any tablet purchased would stay in the home, I would actually be more inclined to recommend a laptop or ultrabook. While you might be able to do all the things you mentioned on a Fire or another tablet, they would be far easier to do (in my opinion) on a device with a physical keyboard and a decent size screen.

Posted on Dec 20, 2012 3:07:05 PM PST
bookcrazy says:
I really really really liked my iPad2 and I really really really like my iPad mini.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 20, 2012 3:44:54 PM PST
Jazzy_Jeff says:
Yea, but I love my Toshiba Thrive.....

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 20, 2012 3:57:03 PM PST
Sarida says:
Hi,

I have some questions before making a recommendation.

1. Do you consider yourself pretty techie? Can you add and remove programs from a computer? Navigate fairly well with search engines? Do you LIKE learning technology?

2. Do you have a smartphone? If so, which one?

3. Do you have a particular budget?

4. Does your religious organizations offer sermons via podcasts? Or are you wanting to watch live broadcasts?

5. I looked at "PLayrix" and it seems to have iPad and Android games. Have you checked the Amazon APP store to see what games are available from them? If not, that's a great place to start.

6. Does your bank have an APP?

7. Do you have Amazon Prime?

Posted on Dec 20, 2012 4:47:02 PM PST
kelker11 says:
Bruce, thanks for the response. Yes, I knew I wasn't talking to Amazon on this forum. I wanted the opinion of people that might own both devices...or were simply more knowledgible about these devices than I am. I didn't know Java wasn't supported...never read that anywhere. I do have wi-fi...I just don't plan on carrying a tablet around about with me outside my home. Thanks again.

Bill, thanks for your opinion. 'Sideloading'...I don't even know what that is. Does that mean that other than at Amazon you can't shop on the Kindle at all? What about the ipad? Thanks for the input on what you liked. I will use the pc primarily, but it's upstairs, and the laptop has a battery life measured in nano-seconds...so I was hoping a Kindle or iPad would do for when I wanted to browse or do online stuff downstairs. :)

Amanda...I love Amazon customer service. They are SO great about everything. Thanks!

Laura, thanks for answering. I do have a laptop (that I just bought in August). Unfortunately, I didn't upgrade the battery at the time of purchase, and it has a very short battery life. Besides, it's four pounds...and to carry around and read a book on it...its rather unwieldy to hold. Having said that, I can do most anything on it. But I guess I have tablet envy...after watching a woman on her iPad at the doctors office the other day, I just really want one. Thanks for sharing your opinion!

Thanks Bookcrazy. Your thoughts are appreciated.

Jeff...I haven't heard of the Thrive. I will definitely check it out. Thanks for the information!

Sarida...1) Yes, I'm capable of adding/deleting programs, reformatting and reinstalling my system software. And I can find most online information I want without a problem. Do I like learning technology? No, I'll never be a programmer and design software. But I did teach myself html to setup a website when I needed to.
2) No, but that's because I'm in the 1% that absolutely hates talking on the phone. I have a Nokia that does little more than dial the number for me.
3) Budget--I'm willing to pay for the iPad, but I prefer the cost of the Kindle. I wouldn't want to pay more than $500 for a tablet.
4) Yes, most of them do offer podcasts. Some are actually through Adobe Flash Player. And yes, live broadcasts do happen from time to time...it would be nice to have access to them.
5) No, I didn't check the Amazon site for that...Okay, checked out Amazon. They did have some games listed as Apps for Android. Does that mean they can play on iPad or Kindle? Since I never bothered with the whole phone things...I'm really not familiar with the apps and what they are for.
6) Yes, they do...but they only show phones on the apps page for my bank. Does that mean I can or can't use it on a tablet?
7) No, I don't have prime. But I was planning on purchasing a membership if/when I decided to get a tablet.
Sarida, thanks for the response. I can tell you put a lot of thought into it. And I do appreciate your help.

Di

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 20, 2012 5:56:29 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 20, 2012 5:58:18 PM PST
Bill Hansen says:
Kelker - This is about "sideloading", portability, and screen size. But first, some reassurance: on the Kindle Fire (remember I have the 8.9, but this also applies to the 7 inch Kindle Fire HD) you are not limited to Amazon content at all.

In the 36 hours I've had my 8.9 I've subscribed to the National Geographic magazine (gorgeous!!), read the New York Times in a format which looks indentical to the one I'd buy at a newstand, watched a few short instructional videos, read a short e-book, checked our local weather using the very detailed Weather Channel app which comes with the Kindle, perused the CNN news site, checked my Gmail account several times and have written a few emails on the Kindle, discovered that my Google Calendar (the very same one I use on my two computers) and all my Gmail contacts were automatically downloaded to the Kindle, purchased several small items - you get the idea. I could have bought movies, shopped for trousers, cameras, sticky buns, software (almost any sort of software)...... You get the idea. I'm a very non-technical person, 78 years old*, using my very first tablet for just 36 hours. I didn't sweat one drop doing all that. The Kindle is set up so beautifully that it almost does it all for you.

Sideloading - That's a process whereby a Kindle user can download apps which the Kindle app store doesn't offer. It involves getting the "apk file" for the app (similar to the ".exe" file for any other computer application) from a site which lists them, saving the apk file to the computer, moving it to the Kindle, and installing it. You do have to have another Android device available, one time only, to begin the process - so if you don't have an Android cell phone, for example, borrow one for an hour or so, from a friend or from a member of your church.

Yes, there are several steps involved in sideloading. But you can't possibly damage your Kindle, and you don't void your warranty. I've had a an android cell phone for over two years, and there are a few things - a little thing called Weather Bug, a hiking app called My Tracks, a wonderful MP3 player called Power Amp, and Google Maps - all of which are available in the main Google Play Store, but none of which are available in the Android version of the Play Store. One by one, I'll go through that "sideloading" procedure to get them on the Kindle 8.9. I have the 4G version of the 8.9, so the hiking and mapping apps might be available. If not, I'll just have to continue using them on my cell phone.

Portability - if you're using the tablet almost exclusively in your home, get one with a 10 inch screen. Google makes one, but there are better 10 inchers out there - iPad (boo!!!) and Asus Transformer 700 have the best screens, the Asus has a micro SD card slot which is a very nice thing to have. and the Samsung Galaxy 10.1 comes very close behind. Any one of those - and also the 8.9 - can be paired with a very light "blue tooth" keyboard, or docked to the keyboard, for those times when you're going to do extensive writing. For short notes and emails, the "virtual keyboard" of the 8.9 is perfectly fine, but the virtual keyboard on a 10 inch tablet would be better. The 10 inch screen would be better for watching videos or movies, or for reading photo-heavy magazines like the National Geographic - but lots of people are delighted with video, photos, and graphics on the 7 and 9 inch screens.

However, if you think you'd like to take the tablet along on trips, or carry it around town, the more compact 8.9 inch size is much better. It's also better for reading books, because it's easy to hold in your hand. Don't let anyone tell you the 8.9 is too big or too heavy to hold. It's neither of those.

It's way past my bedtime now, and that's "Toooo much information" anyway. Hope it helps.

Portability - I already covered that. I got my 8.9 because it will be primarily a reading tool for books, newspapers, and magazines - but the darn thing is so adaptable that it can do just about anything I'd want.

Bill Hansen
*did I mention how wonderful it is, for these old eyes, to be able to change the size of text as you read?

Posted on Dec 20, 2012 7:41:11 PM PST
scrapnkath says:
Dear sweet Bill Hansen , I'm not kelker, but I just have to say how very pleasant it has been reading your posts. For being "non- technical" you've sure given great detail, wonderful advice and great direction to anyone looking for a first tablet.
looking forward to reading more of your posts!
Merry Christmas:)

Posted on Dec 20, 2012 8:07:37 PM PST
Mary says:
I know I have gotten some of the hidden object games in the amazon app store and I think they are also the same ones at bigfish games but I don't think any thing you buy from bigfish you can play on the fire, you need the android version I am guessing. As far as watching stuff at home I have very fast internet and wifi works great and streaming is very smooth but sometimes when traveling hotel wifi can be sluggish and skip so it just depends on how good the connection is when traveling I have found. I dont have an Ipad but there is a good reason its much more expensive than the fire. I didn't need all that so for me this worked well for the price and does all I need. Mary

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 21, 2012 3:24:13 AM PST
Bill Hansen says:
Scrankath - Wow - you've made my day! And maybe my week. Thanks

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 21, 2012 3:39:07 AM PST
 nospin  says:
That was a great post, Bill.

I would encourage you to copy it into a review on the product page so that other older folk know the Fire is not intimidating.

Thank you for posting.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 21, 2012 5:43:51 AM PST
Bill Hansen says:
Thanks nospin - I modified it slightly, to make it appropriate for the product site, and put it up there. There are so many reviews that mine probably won't get much notice, but it can't hurt.

Bill

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 21, 2012 8:36:04 AM PST
I really, really like my Toshiba Thrive - but I love my Kindle Fire:)

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 22, 2012 11:58:18 PM PST
Sarida says:
Di,

I would check out the apple website and look under the ipad refurbs. If you weren't comfortable with technology or if you had an android phone I would say to get the Fire. I just had knee surgery and can't get to my laptop to give you a better answer.

Apps are not interchangeable. Apple apps can't be used on a fire. I would suggest asking other members of your congregation what device they use to access content.

You can watch Prime video on an ipad but you cannot access KOLL.

Posted on Dec 23, 2012 4:15:23 PM PST
J. Leek says:
Kelker11 , you can access your bank through your web browser!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 23, 2012 8:17:16 PM PST
Captain says:
kelker, I was in the same situation, never used a tablet, and I decided to get the Fire HD 7" to try out since Amazon gives you 30 days to return it. I played with it for 25 days and then went to my account, brought up the transaction and hit return item. Amazon contacts UPS for you, UPS guy has the shipping label and puts it on the box. All you have to do it put it back in the box and reseal it and put it on your porch. They also tell you the pickup date and approximate time.

You'll never know until you have it in your hands.

Posted on Dec 24, 2012 1:00:27 AM PST
ALK says:
If you live near a Best Buy, you could compare all of the options in person.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 24, 2012 1:20:06 AM PST
Kelker11,
The iPad does not support adobe flash player. So you wouldn't be able to watch the sermons or podcasts etc... that use flash player.

Posted on Dec 24, 2012 1:44:38 AM PST
Lisa says:
Long story short....hubby has a mini, i have a fire hd. When I want to watch and listen with great clarity and sound, I reach for the fire. When I want to browse and jump around the net, I reach for the mini. They both have their strong and weak points. I know an ipad with retina display probably does both if you are willing to fork over 500 bucks for one device. I don't know what the sound is like, however. Ipad mini doesn't support flash, either. One thing that I have a problem with on the fire is that it's not convenient to close running apps and it frequently locks up if too many apps are running or tabs are up on the browser. I never have that problem with the ipad.

Posted on Dec 24, 2012 6:23:09 AM PST
Mary says:
So you can't instsall dolphin browser and an older version of flash in an Ipad like you can on the fire? What about other tablets? Mary

Posted on Dec 24, 2012 6:31:46 AM PST
Adobe stopped supporting Flash this past summer so it is not available on any tablets moving forward. Many sites are moving to HTML 5 for videos.

Posted on Dec 24, 2012 8:04:57 AM PST
Mary says:
Yes I realize that but can you not do the work around on other devices like you can on the fire to make flash work? Mary
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
Now Live - Join the Kindle Discussion Session
1385 14 minutes ago
Announcement
Critical Software Update for Kindle E-Readers
0 Mar 23, 2016
Announcement
Welcome to the Kindle Discussion Forum - A Congregation of Kindle Enthusiasts
0 Mar 20, 2015
Freebie Books - Links Only - No Self Promotion IV 7963 21 minutes ago
KINDLE KITCHEN #5: Home of Family, Friends and Good Food 9347 32 minutes ago
Amazon Echo Suggestion 36 32 minutes ago
86th RAoK - Let the Games Begin 2143 41 minutes ago
Remove the Goodreads Button 40 57 minutes ago
FREE Books and Chat - July 2016 605 59 minutes ago
We're Quirky And We Know It! Come Witness The Howling Dink, Hussy Turkey Hens, And A Veritable Plethora Of Other Beasts! So Geese! 3919 1 hour ago
Volume button controls wrong volume 29 1 hour ago
Deregister and Re Register my old Kindle... 58 1 hour ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  18
Total posts:  27
Initial post:  Dec 20, 2012
Latest post:  Dec 24, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 6 customers

Search Customer Discussions