Industrial-Sized Deals TextBTS15 Shop Women's Handbags Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Disturbed Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Shop Popular Services tmnt tmnt tmnt  Amazon Echo Starting at $99 Kindle Voyage Metal Gear Solid 5 Shop Now Deal of the Day
Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

Kindle Fire in Ireland

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 79 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 4, 2012 11:26:24 AM PST
Do you have any idea when the Kindle Fire will be available and fully functional in Ireland. I know I can get it shipped to an UK address and then ship it to Ireland, but I wont be able to download any apps, movies, etc.

Posted on Nov 4, 2012 11:29:50 AM PST
TuxGirl says:
When one of two things happens... Either Ireland joins the UK, or amazon gets the necessary licensing worked out to offer the applicable content in Ireland.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 4, 2012 12:43:06 PM PST
Asking Ireland to join the UK is a bit ignorant don't you think? Its like asking Canada to join the US ..... Or are you telling me that obviously those two things in your reply are never going to happen? So to re-phrase and hoping on a more clear answer: is Amazon working on getting the necessary licensing sorted out in Ireland? If so, what is the, approx, expected resolve date?

Posted on Nov 4, 2012 12:54:30 PM PST
CBRetriever says:
unfortunately even though our badges say Kindle Forum Pros, we don't work for amazon and they don't tell anyone that information until they announce it to the world

my best guess is that they're focusing on areas with the largest populations

population - it went to the biggest markets first

US = 314 million potential readers
Australia = 22 million
Canada = 34 million
the UK = 62 million (has store)
France = 65 million (has store)
Germany = 81 million (has store)
Spain = 46 million (has store)
Italy = 59 million (has store)
India = 1 billion (just opened a Kindle Store according to some news reports)
Japan = 127 million (just opened Kindle Store recently)
Brazil = 193 million (surprised that they don't have a kindle store given that the Basic Kindle and Kindle Touch support Portuguese)
South Africa = 50 million
Ireland = 6 million

and here's a complete list of english speaking countries by population: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/English_speaking_countries

I'd expect South Africa, Canada and Australia to be in the third wave of Kindle Stores and maybe Nigeria and the Philippines

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 4, 2012 1:58:59 PM PST
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Nov 14, 2012 5:17:32 AM PST
Frances) says:
Does that mean if I buy one from UK, I can't access the amazon ap store through my current amazon account?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2012 6:05:49 AM PST
Frances, you need to change your user name! You are putting your name and e-mail address out for every scammer, phisher and other bottom feeder on the internet!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2012 6:11:49 AM PST
Jazzy_Jeff says:
You would have to have a UK address and a credit card drawn from a UK bank.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 23, 2012 2:26:53 AM PST
so if I have a UK address on my shippiong and a UK credit card albeit a Irish billing address I can stiil down load apps and games?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 23, 2012 2:44:36 AM PST
CBRetriever says:
nope - the Irish billing address would prevent you from buying apps

Country (and address when you set that) must equal the billing address on your credit card

Posted on Nov 23, 2012 3:31:04 AM PST
To all Irish people looking to us kindle fire, SIDE LOAD YOUR APPS, do a search on the net for side loading its very simple.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 23, 2012 6:23:26 AM PST
Thanks so if I change my billing address to my mums in the UK would this work.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 23, 2012 6:27:10 AM PST
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 23, 2012 6:34:59 AM PST
It might, if you don't mind lying. Amazon sometimes notices though, and then asks for justification why you're not actually IN the country you say you live in.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 23, 2012 6:43:56 AM PST
Yes we always seem to be last on the list. Come on amazon get your finger out from wherever it is

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 23, 2012 6:47:19 AM PST
Yes but I would be visiting my mum in the UK. My bank is a UK bank also just that I live in Ireland so just to change my billing address should not be an issue. Its not like I am a scanner just want to get full use of a product I purchased

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 23, 2012 6:49:46 AM PST
Maybe, just MAYBE, you shouldn't have bought the thing if you would not get full use out of it. The compatability information is there for all to see. That's on you, dearie, not Amazon.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 23, 2012 6:49:53 AM PST
You'd be lying to circumvent copyright laws. That is scamming.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 23, 2012 8:56:18 AM PST
CBRetriever says:
you might try telling that to Egypt, Turkey, Tunisia, Indonesia, Malaysia, China, North Korea, Morocoo, Algeria, Saudi Arabia, Yemen, Jordan, Singapore, etc where they can't even get kindles or kindle content at all

Posted on Nov 26, 2012 11:38:37 AM PST
E. Shea says:
I want to buy a kindle fire for my mum in Ireland and my sister in Australia. If I buy them here in the US, where I am living will they work in Ireland and Oz? Will they be able to use the Internet and buy ebooks using there own credit cards. Can anyone help me??

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 26, 2012 11:51:15 AM PST
Yes you can use the internet and buy books but just can't download games or apps just at the moment in Ireland

Posted on Nov 26, 2012 11:54:35 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 26, 2012 11:54:53 AM PST
I think Canada is first in line to be pissed-off about not getting the Kindle Fire...

For those in countries where the Fire is not supported, I would strongly encourage you to look at an Android Tablet like the Nexus 7 Instead. You would not have the limitations that you have with the Fire (no access to Google Play) and you can still read Kindle books on the device.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 26, 2012 12:59:52 PM PST
CBRetriever says:
I think Puerto Rico is as they are US citizens, vote in elections and may become the 51st state and they can't get Kindle Fires or apps or stream/purchase videos

to me, they and the residents of Guam (another US territory who I believe also vote and are considered SU citizesn) have the most to complain about

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2012 4:03:21 AM PST
J Hanggi says:
I don't think that there is ONE SINGLE Irish man or woman that is not aware that the Republic of Ireland is not part of the UK, they are VERY aware of the troubles that they had to get through for been independent.
From a Spaniard living in Ireland

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2012 4:20:33 AM PST
CBRetriever says:
I know, however sometimes I think they forget that they're not entitled to the same benefits that UK residents are (like being considered residents of the UK for purposes of using amazon.co.uk)

from an American living in France w/o being able to buy apps from the US
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
News: Software Update for Kindle Voyage, Kindle Paperwhite, and Kindle
0 16 days ago
Announcement
Amazon Introduces New Kindle Paperwhite: The Most Popular Kindle, Now Even Better
0 Jun 18, 2015
Announcement
Welcome to the Kindle Discussion Forum - A Congregation of Kindle Enthusiasts
0 Mar 20, 2015
The offer of $ 9.99/ month, 22 1 second ago
Welcome To The Quirky Zoo! Home To Many Exotic and Everyday Creatures Including a Platypus! 7400 1 minute ago
hard disk space issue with kindle paperwhite 9 2 minutes ago
KINDLE KITCHEN #5: Home of Family, Friends and Good Food 2286 19 minutes ago
Dragi's Croatian Crab Shack and Wine Bar - The times they are a changin' 8476 20 minutes ago
Potentially Perky People - Part Deux 6365 25 minutes ago
RAOK 82 has a spring in its step! 9576 26 minutes ago
OT: Discussion - (Freebie Books Links Only) 4212 28 minutes ago
How to upload pictures from my Kindle Fire to my Facebook account? 33 30 minutes ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  34
Total posts:  79
Initial post:  Nov 4, 2012
Latest post:  Feb 27, 2015

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 7 customers

Search Customer Discussions