Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

Kindle Fire Keyboard Not Working

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 334 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 22, 2012 8:04:20 AM PDT
L. Jankowski says:
Keyboard does not work on google or trying to sign into gmail...

Does work otherwise...

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 22, 2012 8:36:24 AM PDT
Do you mean that the keyboard doesn't come up?

Are you tapping your finger inside of a text box?

Posted on Sep 27, 2012 2:17:19 PM PDT
J. Doehner says:
This is happening to me too. I'm tapping in the text box, the keyboard pops open, but nothing types when I hit the keys. When out of the Internet, the keyboard does work.

Posted on Sep 29, 2012 5:37:29 PM PDT
Same problem with me.

Posted on Oct 2, 2012 5:43:34 PM PDT
D. Denny says:
had the same problem. just returned mine to best buy. it was doing it so bad i could not even log into my account. the keyboard was double tapping and hitting keys i wasn't also

Posted on Oct 4, 2012 4:55:35 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 4, 2012 5:08:06 PM PDT
Same problem. I just got Kindle Fire HD today.

Found solution for this issue at Amazon help.

Resetting your Kindle Fire can solve intermittent problems. To reset your device:
Make sure your device is disconnected from any power source.
Press in the power switch and hold it there for 20 seconds.
The screen should turn off, once the screen is fully turned off press the power button in for 2 seconds and release. The device will turn back on and you will see the Kindle Fire loading screen.
This reset will not affect any books or content you have on the Kindle. If your Kindle is still not responding, you can reach us by phone directly by clicking the phone option below.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 4, 2012 5:07:41 PM PDT
jsh1120 says:
Silent lucidity,

Be sure you have wifi active on your KF. Then, either reboot your KF (Hold the power button for 30 seconds until it powers off on its own and the push the power button again) or just wait for a few hours with wifi connected. Probably in either instance when you reboot you'll get a software update delivered automatically to your device that will cure the problem.

This is a fairly common problem with new products. Sometimes a glitch is discovered after units have already been prepped and shipped to warehouses or retailers and then passed on to customers. If you have a PC and have installed software (especially from a CD) you may be familiar with the installation process including a step that goes to the internet to check for any applicable updates. This is a very similar issue.

My OS updated when I rebooted. (I happened to notice that a software update was applied when I did so.) But others have found that as long as they are connected to a wifi network, the update will be "pushed" to their KFHD's within a few hours after they're registered.

Obviously, if you don't get an update or you find that it doesn't solve your problem, you should report it to Kindle CS.

Posted on Oct 4, 2012 5:10:08 PM PDT
Thank you jsh1120

Posted on Oct 8, 2012 9:16:48 AM PDT
how i can use my kindle fire as it was rigisterd in usa is any chance to work in india

Posted on Oct 13, 2012 4:20:10 AM PDT
my kindle fire hd keyboard is not working in browser to sign in to any account as iam tapping the text box but it not working any sollution

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 13, 2012 4:25:53 AM PDT
Check another text box to see if it is a keyboard issue or a browser issue.

Posted on Nov 18, 2012 8:39:49 AM PST
I just got my Kindle Fire HD 8.9" yesterday and it worked perfectly until last night when I went to sign in to things such as Twitter, Gmail, etc...and noticed that my keyboard will not popping up. I have tried several sites and, of course, have tried tapping the text box many times on each but nothing seems to work. I have also rebooted several times (using suggested methods above) but nothing seems to work. Any help is greatly appreciated.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 22, 2012 11:31:43 PM PST
peedeekay says:
thanks this worked for me

Posted on Nov 27, 2012 10:02:43 PM PST
Mine works fine for everything just not in app store :/ any ideas? I tried the suggestions above..the are not working also tried deleting cashes...(spelling??) Help!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 27, 2012 11:15:02 PM PST
Sarah - Check your date and Time in the device settings on the Fire. If those are wrong, it can affect your access to the appstore.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2012 11:33:45 AM PST
Thank you for the help, however that did not help either :/
I think I am stuck with talking to amazon

Posted on Dec 26, 2012 3:40:54 PM PST
My keyboard will not show up on my Kindle Fire HD 8.9. Can anyone help?

Posted on Dec 27, 2012 5:48:49 PM PST
I received my new KF as a gift yesterday. It has been working fine yesterday and most of today. However today when in Facebook, the keyboard would not type correctly ... it inserts nonsense. Often I cannot delete what the KF typed ... it types additional garbage. It reacts the same way in other apps as well. I have rebooted as suggested, but this has not fixed the issue. Any help????

Posted on Jan 3, 2013 6:31:50 PM PST
My KF type nonsense as well don't know what to do

Posted on Jan 3, 2013 6:34:06 PM PST
My KF type nonsense as well don't know what to do

Posted on Jan 11, 2013 6:05:24 PM PST
melody r says:
My keyboard wont pop up and i have tried all of the above

Posted on Jan 12, 2013 1:18:43 PM PST
mtr says:
when I'm on the web and go to type in a new web address, my keyboard no longer has ".com"'. now it has ".co.uk" and I don't know how it git there or how to change it back. can anyone help?

Posted on Jan 15, 2013 6:41:22 PM PST
My keyboard will not work on Google. or Amazon, on either site it will only time one letter, type a second letter, and it replaces the first. I've gone through phone support and online support (with my PC cause the Kindle won't type on the online support site). I've had it a couple of weeks and it's loaded, they want to to reset to to factory defaults and start over, I think I'm sending it back for a refund.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 15, 2013 7:09:49 PM PST
Don't let them factory restart, that's what they did to mine & it created a whole slew of problems & never fixed the keyboard issue. :/

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 15, 2013 7:13:39 PM PST
having same probem typing
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 14 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
News: Kindle for iOS Software Update 4.6
0 5 days ago
Announcement
Simon & Schuster Agreement
0 Oct 20, 2014
Announcement
Have a Kindle Question?
0 Sep 12, 2012
RAOK # 80 - Acts of Kindness Are In the Pipeline™ 9465 1 second ago
kindle add-on 1 45 seconds ago
KINDLE KITCHEN #4: Home of Family, Friends and Good Food! 6610 2 minutes ago
Kindle vs Airport Security 159 2 minutes ago
Amazon Echo 775 2 minutes ago
So can you turn the Paperwhite light completely off? 705 2 minutes ago
SwagBucks Thread 4122 3 minutes ago
My Kindle port is broken 1 6 minutes ago
Dragi's Croatian Crab Shack and Wine Bar - The times they are a changin' 5259 7 minutes ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  185
Total posts:  334
Initial post:  Sep 22, 2012
Latest post:  9 days ago

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 43 customers

Search Customer Discussions