Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

difference between buying Kindle Fire/Kindle Fire HD from Best Buy vs Amazon directly?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-23 of 23 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 20, 2012 8:06:06 AM PST
LatteMom says:
Just curious...does it really matter if we buy a Kindle Fire/Kindle Fire HD from Amazon directly vs buying it at Best Buy? Both seem to have a 30-day return policy. Thanks!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 20, 2012 8:08:30 AM PST
I don't know about BB, but for purchases made after November 1, Amazon extends the return date to January 31.

Also, I would take anything said about Kindles by BB employees with a grain of salt the size of Philadelphia. From what we read here, they are very likely to give out misleading or flat-out wrong information.

Posted on Dec 20, 2012 8:09:24 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 20, 2012 8:13:23 AM PST
Bixillarla says:
Right now Amazon has a extended return period for the Holidays, anything purchased can be returned by Jan 31st which is longer than Best Buys 30 days.

I would not trust anything Best Buy says about, they have been known to give out false information and people getting stuck with items that do not meet their needs.

I would purchase a Kindle from Amazon over any store. Of course if it is for a Christmas Gift you better hurry up and order, this is the last day you can get in time with 2nd day air shipping.

Posted on Dec 20, 2012 8:32:04 AM PST
jsh1120 says:
LatteMom,

Like other posters above, I'm not a fan of BestBuy, either, especially since they've been known to sell returned stock as new. Having said that, however, some BB customers who have had problems with the first generation Kindle Fire have recently reported that BestBuy has replaced their first gen devices with second generation Kindle Fires, an exchange that is very, very rare from Amazon. I have no idea if the claims are accurate or if they are accurate whether these customers had extended warranties from BestBuy. Nevertheless, it may be worth investigating.

Posted on Dec 20, 2012 12:41:58 PM PST
G. Chen says:
I don't really know how some BestBuy employees can stand around and smile while saying things that are clearly not true. I stood in line to pick up an ipad (as a gift) and I heard an employee tell someone that the ipad 4G (4th Gen) had a faster processor than the ipad wifi (4th Gen). I look down at the plaques on the table (for the item specification) and it says A6X processors in both of them. I feel bad for people who have to rely on those folks for information.

Posted on Dec 20, 2012 1:41:16 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 20, 2012 1:46:34 PM PST
Ellen Ripley says:
The two differences I see between buying on Amazon versus Best Buy are:

1. If you buy from Amazon you have until Jan 31 to return it if you change your mind. If you buy from Best Buy you have until Jan 24th.
2. If you buy from Amazon and have a problem with it between now and Jan 31st you call Amazon for troubleshooting and possible replacement units. Amazon will replace it with a refurbished unit with the same 1 year warranty as a new one.
If you buy from Best Buy and have a problem with it between now and Jan 24, you have to take it back to Best Buy and they will replace it with a brand new device(at least they did for me).

After you get past both of the return dates, it doesn't really matter where you bought it. If you have problems with it you call Amazon Kindle Customer Service. You have a 1 year warranty no matter where you bought it.

--3rd difference is that for most(but not all) purchasing it on Amazon is tax free whereas Best Buy is not. So that an extra $20+ dollars you pay at Best Buy.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 20, 2012 1:49:54 PM PST
Whether it is "tax free" or not depends on the state where you live. Even for the states where Amazon doesn't collect the tax, you still owe it and are supposed to pay when you file your state income tax.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 20, 2012 2:03:38 PM PST
Bill Hansen says:
Best Buy's return policies are very good, but unless you're actually exchanging your item for something else of equal or greater value, they almost always charge a "restocking fee" of 10-15% of the price of the original item. They do have customer support of a sort, and they have the Geek Squad for tech support (but you usually have to wait several days or a week before the Geeks can get to you), I would always prefer to buy from Amazon. The couple of times I've needed customer support from them (about the KFHD 8.9) they've been almost instantly available, the reps have been cheeerful, courteous, and extremely helpful. What an amazing difference from most customer support experiences. Buy directly from Amazon, always!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 20, 2012 2:16:34 PM PST
W. James says:
I today bought a 8.9 at BB and was told the return period was until the end of January.

Posted on Dec 20, 2012 2:20:46 PM PST
Ellen Ripley says:
Sticking with the idea that the OP wants to purchase a Kindle Fire/Fire HD, at Best Buy there is no restocking fee if you return it.

Downside on both ends is that if this is a gift to someone and it gets returned, they will get gift credit, not cash back from either Amazon or Best Buy. I personally would rather have Amazon credit.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 20, 2012 2:22:22 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 20, 2012 2:23:04 PM PST
Ellen Ripley says:
Best Buy holiday return policy 2013:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Returns-Refunds/regularCat%3Apcmcat260800050014/pcmcat260800050014.c?id=pcmcat260800050014

Posted on Dec 20, 2012 2:37:06 PM PST
Personally, I would never give my money to Best Buy. I had one too many bad experiences with their employees.

Posted on Dec 20, 2012 8:52:02 PM PST
LatteMom says:
Thank you so much for the helpful information! I'm concerned that Amazon would send a refurbished KF/KFHD if we had a problem with it vs Best Buy exchanging it for another new one. I believe that if it's not my fault that an item is malfunctioning, and it's returned to them before the return deadline, it should be replaced by a new one rather than a refurbished one. Having said that, it seems that posters prefer dealing with Amazon overall, so that's where I ordered from today. I was amazed that within hours I received an email reporting that it had already been shipped and I should be receiving it tomorrow -- Wow! That's a good start! Thanks again, everyone!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 20, 2012 8:54:30 PM PST
Just as an FJI - I have three of the original Kindles - all bought in 2008. One was bought new, two bought as re-furbs. I defy you to tell which was the new one. They all work just fine, and the only thing I've ever done to them is replace the batteries.

Posted on Dec 20, 2012 9:09:25 PM PST
LatteMom says:
M. Francis -- That's reassuring to know! Thank you!

Posted on Dec 20, 2012 9:57:02 PM PST
jarand says:
I like going directly through Amazon vs BB. 1) When my Kindle arrives, it's all set up. 2) When (if) there's a problem, I have ready online and phone access to help, vs needing to physically go there. 3) No Tax 4) Square Trade ext warranty cheaper than BB. 5) BB employees often know less than you or I. Today, I listened to a BB employee tell a customer the difference in an Ipad mini and Kindle Fire. Customer was looking for productivity device, not media/reader. BB employee had no clue. I was actually relieved that BB was out of both.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 21, 2012 5:39:46 AM PST
You're welcome.

Posted on Dec 21, 2012 6:02:32 AM PST
NG says:
1. I don't have to drive to Dover.

2. (True) My 8.9 fell off the car with the Christmas presents and got driven over. No extended warranty. I called CS and got a replacement cheap. I can imagine going back to BB.

Posted on Dec 22, 2012 10:38:33 PM PST
LatteMom says:
Update...I understood that the Kindle for our daughter was to be delivered within two days (by Saturday). It's been two days and no package. I stayed home both days to be certain I wouldn't miss the delivery which was estimated to be Friday. Tracking says it's still in transit. Now I'm hearing that FedEx is often late with deliveries. I'm hoping to get this by Monday when we celebrate Christmas. Although going through Amazon is great for many reasons, going to Best Buy at least means having your item when you need it. Very disappointed.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 22, 2012 11:16:04 PM PST
Jacqueline says:
Ellen, or anyone - I returned a Paperwhite 3 G and plug (cannot believe those wall plugs are $20!) and I thought it would be credited back to the gift giver's account? Are you saying they will what, send me an email and I will get the $200 or so credit on Amazon? Wow, good thing he didn't order me a replacement gift yet! Thanks to anyone for some help on this.....

Happy Holidays!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 23, 2012 1:13:42 AM PST
Bixillarla says:
Don't know which state you live in but the Midwest was hit with a snow storm which is impacting shipping schedules. I have a Fedex package that is stuck in California due to the weather, it was suppose to be delivered yesterday. They are trying to get them through for Monday delivery but no guarantees.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 23, 2012 7:03:45 AM PST
Tillie-Ray says:
I have never had a problem with Amazon, but have you been watching the news about the weather?? My nephew flew from San Francisco to Chicago in an effort to get to WI. Gave up and flew back to Cali.

Posted on Dec 26, 2012 12:58:04 PM PST
LatteMom says:
We received the KFHD7 package Monday around noon instead of Friday/Saturday (2-day delivery dates)--later than expected, but I'm relieved it came before we handed out gifts! Whew! Close one! :) Thank you for your posts!
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  13
Total posts:  23
Initial post:  Dec 20, 2012
Latest post:  Dec 26, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions