Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

Kindle Paperwhite - Remove Special Offers after purchase?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-20 of 20 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 9, 2012 6:20:50 PM PDT
Keith says:
I am considering purchasing the new Paperwhite Kindle. Can I buy the one with Special Offers and if I find them annoying pay the $20 to remove them or do I need to make that decision now and purchase the specific version? I couldn't find any confirmation on the new Kindles.

Thanks.

Posted on Sep 9, 2012 6:23:07 PM PDT
No, you can decide later.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 9, 2012 6:36:19 PM PDT
Keith says:
Are you basing this on the fact of the way the current Kindles work or did you see something specific with regards to the new Paperwhite Kindle? I didn't see a mention of it on Amazon's site.

Thanks.

Posted on Sep 9, 2012 6:40:41 PM PDT
That's the way the special offers deal works. Amazon did try to make the Fire a "special offer" only device but the backlash was so big they changed and gave back the option to switch it to a non-ad device for $20.

Posted on Sep 9, 2012 6:43:54 PM PDT
Keith says:
I see.

So since this is going to be my first Kindle I guess there is no reason not to try the Special Offers version and then if I don't like it, just pay the extra $20 to have them removed. Is it a choice in the Settings of the Kindle to remove Special Offers?

Thanks.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 9, 2012 6:46:34 PM PDT
You will have to go to Manage Your Kindle on your account.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 9, 2012 6:48:10 PM PDT
@Keith: In the past, it has been done using the facility on the Manage Your Kindle page.

Posted on Oct 25, 2012 7:44:14 PM PDT
I paid $200 for this item...I should not have adware on my tablet. Probably returning this to get a ipad. I've said so many good things about Amazon only to look like a fool today when my Kindle throws ads and offers at me every time I view something on my carousel or lock my home screen. This is a slap in the face to loyal customers.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 25, 2012 8:01:07 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 25, 2012 9:36:05 PM PDT
Yes, you can pay them 20 bucks to get SO removed. However, half of your home screen is still populated by Amazon book recommendation. Right now, everybody must live with it, whether they have Kindle with or without SO. There is a workaround by activating parental control but that is a lame solution. There is a rumor that Amazon will let us remove it all together with the next software updates but there is no way to tell when they are going to implement it.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 25, 2012 8:02:38 PM PDT
King Al says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Dec 18, 2012 6:46:45 PM PST
D. Kincy says:
I think you can turn "Recommended Content" off under Settings Personalize Your Kindle and it will not display recommended content when in cover view

Posted on Dec 18, 2012 7:03:45 PM PST
This is nonsense, taking the fire back to the store picking up a Nook HD same price no ads....

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 18, 2012 7:42:48 PM PST
Okay.

Posted on Dec 18, 2012 10:34:26 PM PST
lonbeehold says:
I paid to remove the ads from both my KK and PW. Once you pay the fee, you can turn them on and off as you wish. And D.K. above is correct; you can turn off Recommended Content.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 18, 2012 11:09:47 PM PST
Bixillarla says:
Kincy when this post was created it was not possible to turn off the Recommendations. The recent update gave us that option.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 24, 2012 6:00:15 PM PST
Wes H. says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Sep 15, 2013 10:03:12 PM PDT
huskerdu says:

Posted on Sep 16, 2013 2:53:48 AM PDT
The ads only show up on a screensaver page, when the Kindle is sleeping, and at the bottom of the Home page when it is on. You can't bear to have the ads pass by your eyes in the second, or two, it takes to turn your Kindle on, and open a book?

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 16, 2013 2:56:34 AM PDT
Jim - When you get offended by some book, or feature, on your Nook, you will NOT be able to return it for a refund. All you will be able to do is to exchange it for something of equal, or greater, cost. Enjoy!

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 16, 2013 3:10:59 AM PDT
Geekbabe says:
Kevin, when you get your iPad be very careful to only install apps you pay for as most free apps have far more annoying ads than Kindle does. Also keep in mind that the price you pay for a Kindle with ads is less than one without, you are in effect being compensated for viewing them.

Let me also tell you I have actually received offers that are useful to me so the feature is not always a bad thing if you give it a chance. Besides, how long do we really sit and stare at lock screens after picking up our devices?
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
Software Update for the Original Kindle Paperwhite
0 5 days ago
Announcement
News: Kindle for Android app Update 4.13 Now Available
0 11 days ago
Announcement
Amazon Introduces New Kindle Paperwhite: The Most Popular Kindle, Now Even Better
0 18 days ago
Announcement
News: Kindle for iOS Update 4.9 Now Available
0 May 27, 2015
Announcement
Welcome to the Kindle Discussion Forum - A Congregation of Kindle Enthusiasts
0 Mar 20, 2015
Announcement
Meet other story lovers at Write On by Kindle
60 May 19, 2015
Announcement
Enjoy your print books and personal documents on your Kindle with Kindle Convert.
0 Feb 2, 2015
sharing my kindle books with my family 9 6 minutes ago
RAOK 82 has a spring in its step! 4687 7 minutes ago
Can I use my Kindle Paperwhite in Cuba? 3 8 minutes ago
OT: Discussion - (Freebie Books Links Only) 4013 21 minutes ago
Discounted / Price Dropped Kindle eBooks III 6496 24 minutes ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  16
Total posts:  20
Initial post:  Sep 9, 2012
Latest post:  Sep 16, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 5 customers

Search Customer Discussions