Automotive Deals Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Ruby jewelry Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports
Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

Cannot delete apps from Kindle Fire???

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 280 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 17, 2011 11:55:14 AM PST
Katchow says:
I can't delete any apps, even those that I downloaded from the Amazon store (not pre-installed). They still show up in "Apps" even after uninstalling. Am I missing something? How do you permanently delete an app?

Posted on Nov 17, 2011 11:56:47 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 17, 2011 11:57:17 AM PST
The Apps screen shows you apps both installed and "in the Cloud", i.e. paid for but not installed. You can tell the ones that aren't installed by the little down-arrow icon over the app icon. If you click on "Device" at the top you should only the installed apps.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 17, 2011 11:57:27 AM PST
 nospin  says:
I think you are looking at cloud view. The cloud will show everything you have purchased unless you delete it from your account under Manage My Kindle.

Posted on Nov 17, 2011 12:01:20 PM PST
Katchow says:
Oh, ok. Thats works. Problem is, there doesn't seem to be any way to delete them from the cloud (I'm logged in with my laptop). Any ideas? It seems like wasted space to me.

Posted on Nov 17, 2011 12:04:59 PM PST
Everything you do ends up on the carousel :(

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 17, 2011 12:07:26 PM PST
 nospin  says:
Method for deleting items from carousel posted on Fire forum.
http://www.amazon.com/forum/fire/ref=cm_cd_f_h_dp_t?_encoding=UTF8&cdForum=Fx2L8EBNTOXFSA7&cdAnchor=fire

Posted on Nov 17, 2011 12:07:43 PM PST
Katchow says:
Oh never mind. I get it. This is to give you infinite access to anything you've paid for, but I wonder if it takes up space.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 17, 2011 12:08:53 PM PST
 nospin  says:
I would have thought you could delete through Manage Your Kindle >Manage Apps and Devices but I just went through the process and I cannot see how to do it.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 17, 2011 12:10:10 PM PST
 nospin  says:
No, not on your device and not really on Amazon's.
Apparently we buy licenses and they store the item once and connect it to our licenses.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 17, 2011 12:10:47 PM PST
T. Anderson says:
There isn't a way. The point of them is a back up. If you never use the app just don't download it. Not sure what space you're worried about wating.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 17, 2011 12:11:44 PM PST
It doesn't take up space. Everything you buy from Amazon (movies, music, apps, etc) is stored for free and doesn't take any of your cloud storage up. You only use the storage space when you store non-amazon things in their cloud.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 17, 2011 12:27:01 PM PST
Katchow says:
Oh that's right. I forgot about space for purchased items being free. Thanks for the help everyone!

Posted on Nov 18, 2011 1:06:13 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 18, 2011 1:08:32 PM PST
KC Florida says:
I contacted customer support - here was their reply, "I looked for that information (as I don't remember all the details yet hehe) and found that pre-installed applications on Kindle Fire cannot be removed from the device..................Searching a little bit more, I found that pre-installed apps include apps from third parties. These companies provide their own support for their apps. You can find support options for most of these apps by tapping the Menu button at the bottom of the screen while the app is open."

So you have to load apps you dont want to try to remove them I think

Posted on Nov 18, 2011 5:12:44 PM PST
You are correct - very difficult to delete stuff you don't want - and some things appear in the carousel after they are opened and try to remove those. Another disappointment - one can't install software from other e-readers. I wanted to transfer my nook books, soney books and kobo books. Well, I guess I'll use my Velocity Cruise more than I will my Fire as I have all those apps on the cruz. I am not particularly pleased with the Fire. Bob

Posted on Nov 18, 2011 8:03:26 PM PST
A. Floyd says:
Here is a article on how to delete your browser history from kindlfe fire.

http://blog.laptopmag.com/how-to-hide-your-surfing-habits-on-the-kindle-fire

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2011 9:48:21 AM PST
owizzel says:
The problem isn't whether or not there is storage. The problem is that your home page on the kindle gets filled with junk, keeping you from getting directly to the content of current interest, which makes the device less useful. I hate the idea that if you buy an app that turns out to not be useful, you are stuck looking at its icon every time you turn your device on.

Posted on Nov 19, 2011 10:17:57 AM PST
I'm finding it more useful to fill up the Favorites shelves with the things I really use. You can put them in whatever order you like. Once you have over two shelves of Favorites you can scroll up and the Carousel nearly disappears.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2011 10:26:10 AM PST
Bruce...I didn't realize you could drag stuff on your Favorites around! Thanks for the tip!

Posted on Nov 19, 2011 10:34:18 AM PST
sam says:
i can delete every app just fine except for the facebook app. how in the heck do i delete that crap?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2011 10:43:48 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 19, 2011 10:44:40 AM PST
T.Ray says:
Here is a link to how to put Nook for Android app on your fire. I've done it - works fine. Sorry can't help with other content.
http://blog.the-ebook-reader.com/2011/11/15/ten-top-free-android-apps-for-kindle-fire-not-available-from-amazon/

Posted on Nov 19, 2011 4:27:28 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 19, 2011 4:28:22 PM PST
To clear your browsing history, therefore clearing the carousel of recently visited web pages:
1. go to web
2. click the 2nd to last icon at the bottom, looks like a sheet of printed paper
3. click settings
4. clear history, you can also clear cookies, etc from here.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2011 6:17:18 AM PST
bill says:
If you download GetJar app they have a nook app.
Works great on my fire.
First set your Kindle Fire to allow all apps.
I like like the Nook app for reading better than my Fire...

Posted on Nov 20, 2011 8:26:04 AM PST
[Deleted by the author on Nov 20, 2011 8:26:39 AM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2011 7:05:25 PM PST
Carl says:
I believe you can remove them from "manage my kindle" on the amazon site. Delete it from there and it should disappear. This is how you remove books from showing up as being available for download.

Posted on Nov 20, 2011 7:13:00 PM PST
Zombiequest says:
I FOUND HOW TO DO IT.... like a previous poster said, all you have to do is click on the app you want to delete and keep your finger on it for 4 or 5 seconds, like you would do a Hard Boot of your computer. And it will ask you if you want to "add it to favorites" or if you want to "delete it".. click "delete" and click "ok and it's gone forever... simple as that... I'm just surprised Amazon didn't mention such an obvious delete feature.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
Now Live - Join the Kindle Discussion Session
1308 7 hours ago
Announcement
Critical Software Update for Kindle E-Readers
0 Mar 23, 2016
Announcement
Welcome to the Kindle Discussion Forum - A Congregation of Kindle Enthusiasts
0 Mar 20, 2015
86th RAoK - Let the Games Begin 1984 39 seconds ago
How to make room on the Kindle? 48 2 minutes ago
How to remove factory installed apps like the weather app 1 26 minutes ago
Overdrive for Educational Institutions 2 29 minutes ago
Fire stick drops network connection 1537 45 minutes ago
Kindle forward button missing 19 1 hour ago
Freebie Books - Links Only - No Self Promotion IV 7937 1 hour ago
Music Not Working in Kindle Fire 114 1 hour ago
Australian/Kiwi kindle users thread #4 - "the BBQ" 6737 1 hour ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  184
Total posts:  280
Initial post:  Nov 17, 2011
Latest post:  Jun 20, 2016

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 55 customers

Search Customer Discussions