Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Pink Floyd Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer CafeSociety CafeSociety CafeSociety  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro
Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

Paperwhite in Japanese

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-19 of 19 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 7, 2012 11:02:39 AM PST
David G. says:
I just received a new Paperwhite and everything is in Japanese. Customer service had no clue, so they are sending me a replacement. Anybody else have this problem?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 11:40:39 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 7, 2012 11:42:39 AM PST
 Ann says:
Did they have you try changing the language setting?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html/ref=hp_200954000_language?nodeId=200954000#language

ETA: Settings is the 6th item on the menu, Device Options is the 4th item on the page, Language & Dictionaries is the last item on the page, and then Language is the 1st item.

Posted on Nov 7, 2012 3:43:58 PM PST
Fud53 says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 3:55:41 PM PST
Be sure to let Amazon know of your experience when they send you an email asking for feedback on you customer service question. Changing the language setting should have benn the first thing mentioned.

Posted on Nov 7, 2012 3:58:13 PM PST
David G. says:
We tried it, but evidently he didn't know all of the steps. I'm glad it's getting replaced as it appears this was a return. For $180 I want a brand spanking new one.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 3:59:25 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Nov 7, 2012 3:59:30 PM PST]

Posted on Nov 7, 2012 4:04:59 PM PST
David G. says:
The box it was shipped in was taped shut, so I'm thinking it was a return by someone who screwed it up and Amazon tried to foist it on me.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 4:27:12 PM PST
That's not really like Amazon to do that. I guess it could happen.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 4:31:33 PM PST
Tinker-bella says:
If you are interested in trying to change the language back to English, you don't really have to be able to read what it says now in Japanese... you can follow these steps (if you can count, you can do it):

1. Tap on the home symbol
2. Tap the menu symbol (the three stacked lines on the right)
3. Tap on the sixth item down (which is Settings)
4. Tap on the fourth item down (which is Device Options)
5. Tap on the fifth item down (which is Language and Dictionaries)
6. Tap on the first item (which is Language)
7. Tap on the third item down (which is English - United States)
8. Tap OK (which is in the bottom, right hand corner)

Posted on Nov 7, 2012 5:47:45 PM PST
David G. says:
I appreciate that. If I had posted this earlier I probably wouldn't have had to return it. But as I suspect it was a return I'm glad it worked out as it did.
Tha now everybody. This is the first time I've posted to this forum annd the responses ive fot warms my cockles.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 31, 2012 8:21:30 AM PST
Donna says:
it was easy thanks

Posted on Jan 23, 2013 6:38:35 PM PST
Ken Saito H says:
Hi all. Is it possible to set a Paperwhite Kindle bought in Amazon Japan to English or Spanish language? Instead of Japanese?
Thanks

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 23, 2013 6:40:03 PM PST
Ken Saito H says:
Hi Think-erbell. Is it possible to set a Paperwhite Kindle bought in Amazon Japan to English or Spanish language? Instead of Japanese?
Thanks

Posted on Jan 23, 2013 10:59:25 PM PST
CBRetriever says:
Paperwhite:

1. Tap the Home icon (House)
2. Tap the Menu icon (3 bars on upper right)
3. Tap the 2nd-to-last item on the menu (6th from the top if you have the offers, 5th from the top if you don't) = Settings
4. Tap the 4th item = Device Options
5. Tap the last (5th) item = Language and Dictionaries
6. Tap the 1st item = Language
7. English

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 23, 2013 11:35:35 PM PST
Ken Saito H says:
Hi CRBREtriever. Thank you very much. Just to confirm, then if I buy the JAPANESE Whitepaper Kindle here in Tokyo, I will definitely be able to change it to English, right?
Thanks once again.
Ken

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 23, 2013 11:45:27 PM PST
CBRetriever says:
yes - it should ask you when you start it up what language you want to use - make sure you stop and select English as there have been lots of people on these forums who just click OK, then have to figure how to change the language

aha, here's an excellent discussion on it:

http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=197450

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 24, 2013 12:09:25 AM PST
Ken Saito H says:
This is great. Thanks so much. Last one question: If I buy the Japanese Kindle, would I be able to buy books on amazon.com (US) and amazon.co.uk (UK)?
Once again, thanks!!

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 24, 2013 12:15:49 AM PST
CBRetriever says:
you can only buy books from one site as a kindle can only be registered to one site - the UK kindle store requires residence in the UK, so you're left with amazon.com and amazon.jp for ebooks

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 24, 2013 1:38:41 AM PST
Ken Saito H says:
Great piece of information. I will have to buy it in the states since most of the books I need are in that store.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
Critical Software Update for Kindle E-Readers
0 Mar 23, 2016
Announcement
Welcome to the Kindle Discussion Forum - A Congregation of Kindle Enthusiasts
0 Mar 20, 2015
Mr.Spock son of Serek for President 31 2 minutes ago
Harry Potter and the Cursed Child Pre order not delivered for anyone else?? 3 4 minutes ago
"repair needed" 1 10 minutes ago
86th RAoK - Let the Games Begin 2761 11 minutes ago
KINDLE KITCHEN #5: Home of Family, Friends and Good Food 9415 24 minutes ago
How Do I download(or copy) a Kindle ebook to a SD card in my tablet? 1 33 minutes ago
How to change the amazon country ? 56 34 minutes ago
fire exploded 42 51 minutes ago
We're Quirky And We Know It! Come Witness The Howling Dink, Hussy Turkey Hens, And A Veritable Plethora Of Other Beasts! So Geese! 4231 56 minutes ago
Kindle paperwhite continually resets while reading and goes back 30-40 pages on reset 1 1 hour ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  8
Total posts:  19
Initial post:  Nov 7, 2012
Latest post:  Jan 24, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions