Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

is Prime a necessity

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 41 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 11, 2012 8:55:23 PM PST
Tara Newman says:
Looking to buy a kindle but don't really want to subscribe to Prime. Thoughts?

Posted on Nov 11, 2012 8:59:00 PM PST
justlaura2u says:
You don't have to subscribe.

Posted on Nov 11, 2012 8:59:09 PM PST
C. S. Jones says:
Prime is a shipping program with a new perks available for users of a Kindle. It isn't necessary for any functionality with any Kindle.

Posted on Nov 11, 2012 9:06:39 PM PST
You didn't specify which Kindle you are thinking of.

If it is an e-ink Kindle, the only thing you get extra (besides shipping) is a free loaner book/month.

If it is the Fire, you also get unlimited free movies (similar to Netflix, but you may already have a Netflix account in which case you can stream that to your Fire so it may not be important to you).

BTW...The Fire gives you 1 month of Prime for free.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 11, 2012 9:07:09 PM PST
Tara Newman says:
But each individual needs to have their own amazon account? I'm looking to purchase 2 kindles for my family use.

Posted on Nov 11, 2012 9:09:55 PM PST
Tara Newman says:
I'm looking at one of the fire models. Looking to get 2 for the whole family to share but didn't want to pay for prime.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 11, 2012 9:23:53 PM PST
Snoozy says:
You can have the whole family using the same amazon account, then you get to share all the books you buy :)

Posted on Nov 11, 2012 9:25:17 PM PST
C. S. Jones says:
As noted above there is no "need" for it unless you have a use for the program.
You get 30 days when you register a Fire to your account but it will expire if you don't extend it. You can try it out and see if it of any use to you.

Posted on Nov 11, 2012 9:26:45 PM PST
Tara Newman says:
Thanks for the info!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 11, 2012 9:28:51 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 11, 2012 9:29:42 PM PST
The Artist says:
Tara, as someone else already posted, Prime is primarily a 2 day shipping program. There are free perks of being able to borrow one book per calendar months from a list of Prime eligible books (and that's only one book per account, not per Kindle), and access to some Prime eligible streaming media (movies and TV shows), but none of those movies or TV shows are current offerings. For current movies and TV shows, you have to pay to rent or buy them, and you don't need to subscribe to Prime to rent or buy any movies.

Bottom line, you do not need Prime if you have a Fire (or several Fires) if you don't want the shipping program and extra free perks.

Edited: Oops, late to the party!

Posted on Nov 11, 2012 9:39:31 PM PST
R. D. Clark says:
And, just to clear up a popular misunderstanding, you don't need a Fire to make use of Prime. The shipping benefits are of course unrelated to digital media. The streaming video is available on many devices, including many "smart TVs," Blu-ray players, Roku boxes, iThings, etc. Only the monthly book loan requires an actual Kindle.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 11, 2012 9:48:16 PM PST
Tara Newman says:
Thanks!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 11, 2012 10:08:41 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 11, 2012 10:10:09 PM PST
Only if you buy physical items from Amazon a lot and watch movies a lot.

You get free 2 day shipping and you can watch free video streaming but not all videos are available for free from Amazon Prime.

You get to borrow ebooks for free with Amazon Prime but not all books are available to borrow and you can only borrow max 1 book per month.

If all you do or most you do is reading ebooks and you read lots of them, Amazon Prime is not a good investment. And you don't need to be a member of Amazon Prime in order to use your Kindle.

Posted on Nov 12, 2012 8:26:36 AM PST
Tara,

Since you're thinking of multiple Fires, as an FYI you can stream the same movie simultaneously to 2 Fires. (2 is the limit for the same movie)

Also, Amazon recently added parental controls for purchasing or watching video content.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 12, 2012 8:42:19 AM PST
Kessa says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 12, 2012 8:44:51 AM PST
Just Peachy says:
I watch the Prime videos via my blu-ray player. I don't own a Fire.
Other people watch the videos via a Roku box.

Amazon seems to have a different selection of movies and tv shows than Netflix. I have both.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 12, 2012 8:55:12 AM PST
Nope. Totally optional.

*I* like it; I use the heck out of the streaming. But if you're not interested in that, or the shipping aspect, skip it!

Posted on Nov 12, 2012 9:09:15 AM PST
metz1295 says:
tara: i have prime and will have 2 kindles in my family. if you are a netflix online user, i strongly recommend dumping it for prime. you'll get access to somethign similar to netflix and the cool shipping and library features that come with prime for about the same amount of money. i watched part of a movie on my laptop last night through prime. good quality. tonight, i will plug into my hdtv to see what i get out of it.

we received our paperwhite last week and i'm looking forward to the fire HD 8.9 showing up in 10 days.

we're all in for kindle, prime and amazon for awhile.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 12, 2012 9:10:28 AM PST
Jazzy_Jeff says:
There is no reason to dump Netflix. You can have the best of both worlds. Netflix has a lot more content.

Posted on Nov 12, 2012 9:14:40 AM PST
metz1295 says:
jazzy makes a point. netflix does have more content. my pov was that of not being a huge movie watcher and not wanting to pay for two of the same thing. if you only want one, as i do, i recommend prime if you're going to be a kindle owner....from my pov.

Posted on Nov 12, 2012 9:23:00 AM PST
G. McNeil says:
Tara - as mentioned before, Prime is a great shipping program. 2 day delivery for free. At 79.00 a year, I have saved twice that this year when compared to standard shipping. As you can tell, I shop on Amazon a lot.

The streaming movies/TV shows for free is an added bonus that we have used quite a few times, more than I thought we would. We watched all three "Girl with the Dragon Tatoo from Sweden (available in both subtitles and dubbed in english) for nothing.

If I were you, I would sign up for the free 30 days, then order your fires for free 2nd day delivery, then play with the streaming, borrow a book for free (I think if you let Prime expire the borrowed book will quit working, so read it in the 30 days), and see if it fits your needs or not.

Then you can make a decision on keeping it or not. Like I said, it ends up being better than free for me with all the savings I see with free shipping.

Good luck, and enjoy your new toys (yes, I said toys - just like this overpriced, high speed computer of mine is a toy more than a workstation).

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 12, 2012 9:34:19 AM PST
Shan923 says:
Fire HD also has an HDMI out, so you can watch your content on your TV. :)

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 12, 2012 9:36:44 AM PST
Jazzy_Jeff says:
What if we don't have HD TV's??

Posted on Nov 12, 2012 9:43:37 AM PST
metz1295 says:
jazzy, they probably make mini hdmi to rca adapters, but i imagine the quality will not be as good as just watching on your kindle.

Posted on Nov 12, 2012 10:32:46 AM PST
Reed says:
Has anyone heard of a new "add on" policy of not including low cost items shipped by Amazon in Prime's free 2 day shipping. I read about this in another forum, but if it were true someone would have mentioned it in this discussion. Does Prime still cover free two day shipping for items mailed by Amazon with no minimum order?
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  23
Total posts:  41
Initial post:  Nov 11, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 15, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

Search Customer Discussions