Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

Amazon cancelled my order for my Kindle Fire HD because they called me during the aftermath of Hurricane Sandy and I didn't answer my phone

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 95 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 16, 2012 7:27:10 AM PST
A. Dana says:
My kindle fire hd was cancelled by amazon today. I ordered it on Sept 17th and have been waiting with bated breath for it to arrive. I was so excited when i heard it was here and went to check to see what my shipping date was to find that my order had disappeared. It doesn't even show up in my order history list. I called amazon and they said they tried to call and email me to confirm that i still wanted it and when i didn't respond they cancelled my order. Well they tried to call and email me but IT WAS WHEN WE HAD NO POWER from Hurricane Sandy. My banks, credit cards, telephone company all reach out to me to assure me that they understand that people have no power and even offer to Extend the due dates for bills. Amazon calls my house and gets a message that my phon has been reported as having a problem due to the storm, and stills cancel my order that i made two months ago. My email bounced back because my provider had no power either.

IF someone orders something and they don't cancel it, Amazon should be able to Cancel your order for you. Suspiciously it doesn't even show up as a cancelled order. It was part a multi item order and it has been removed altogether.

Amazon says they can't reinstate it and if I want a kindle fire HD i have to get back in line.
They had the nerve to say that if they made an allowance for me then others would be hurt by not getting theirs in order. When I point out that was how it was in the first place, they refused to escalate my issue any farther than the manager Jacob in the Customer Service center.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2012 7:34:02 AM PST
Sorry. That sucks.

That that said, you can't have expected them to send X number of electronic devices out to places that they had no way of even knowing if that location *existed* any more, can you?

I think they protected their assets, pending the dust settling. A natural disaster is a *natural* disaster, and they can't be expected to make every contingency available/convenient for every single person.

I know you're disappointed, and I still think it sucks big time, but I don't think they truly could have acted in any other course. Sorry.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2012 7:40:27 AM PST
I would go back to Kindle Customer Service a second and third time. If you can keep your cool, you may get what you want by persistence. I agree that it sucks.

Posted on Nov 16, 2012 7:46:34 AM PST
I will echo what Laura suggests, and agree with what Folina shared.

Policies regarding order confirmations are set into place, albeit unfortunately in this situation, for a reason. However, the CS rep you spoke with does not write that policy for Amazon, but is complying with it in accordance with his/her job.

That said, history has proven that Amazon does make exceptions, especially in extenuating circumstances. Making a second or third call will cost you nothing other than your time.

I wish you success.

Posted on Nov 16, 2012 7:48:03 AM PST
FlyingAce says:
I would place another order while you are continuing to call them about it. That way if you don't get them to make an exception, your order will be in the queue already.

Posted on Nov 16, 2012 7:51:45 AM PST
jsh1120 says:
While I can sympathize with the OP's problem, I have to say that if the worst thing that happened in the aftermath of Sandy was a cancelled order for a device that the OP will receive a bit later than planned, perhaps some attention to real human suffering is called for.

Posted on Nov 16, 2012 7:54:28 AM PST
Better to have to re-order, than have orders shipped with no where to deliver them to.

This is indeed a 1st World Problem.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2012 8:10:42 AM PST
Sorry to hear about Sandy affecting you. Here are the steps that I recommend to try and resolve the issue:

1) Put in an order now so that you at least get in line while trying to resolve the issue. This will be your "just in case" order so that you won't have to wait any longer than needed.

2) Escalate the issue yourself to Executive Customer Relations. Their email address is ecr@amazon.com. They've been very helpful to me and a few others in the past when regular CS was unable to do anything further.

3) When you email them, give them as much details as you can. The original order date, order number, which model you ordered, and the info from the earlier contact you had with Amazon. Give them the dates you were w/o power and phone as well as the dates your email provider was down (if you know). Be nice in the email while still letting them know that you are disappointed about the issue given that it was caused by a natural disaster that was out of your control.

4) If ECR does get you back in your original place in line, they may do it by either making a new order or by speeding up the just in case order you made. If they make a new order for you then you can cancel the just in case order.

Hope everything is back to normal for you and good luck with clearing this issue up.

Posted on Nov 16, 2012 8:26:49 AM PST
Is anyone else sick and tired of being told that one shouldn't be irked about something because something bad is happening in the world?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2012 8:28:42 AM PST
No, not when the issue at hand is a direct result of the "something bad" that has happened.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2012 8:29:31 AM PST
jsh1120 says:
Not nearly as sick and tired as listening to people with miniscule problems brought about by natural disasters that have affected millions of people in very serious ways....including the deaths of hundreds of people.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2012 8:30:25 AM PST
quilt lover says:
Not me. I sometimes need to be reminded that there are more important things to think about.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2012 8:31:21 AM PST
There are still thousands without power, and many buildings cannot be occupied either.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2012 8:32:00 AM PST
No.

In general, it's a good idea to keep perspective on the important things in life vs. those things that are really not. "Irked" is one thing, as long as it's a contained "irked".

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2012 8:38:11 AM PST
Jazzy_Jeff says:
Not at all. Not being able to get a new toy right away would be way down on my list...

Posted on Nov 16, 2012 8:54:23 AM PST
Uh...the person in question is one of the ones slammed by Sandy. So they should never ever be irked by anything in perpetuity because of it? Doesn't make any sense.

There always have and always will be bad things happening somewhere in the world. Who are we to say when a person has a right to be irked by something in any case?

Posted on Nov 16, 2012 8:57:07 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 16, 2012 8:57:47 AM PST
JennMars says:
Hey, folks in Washington, Arizona and wherever else you may be from ...

Thanks, but those of us who actually lived through Sandy -- who lost power ourselves, who know people who lost power for many days or who lost their homes altogether, who know people who died as a result of the storm -- don't need to be reminded that we are "lucky" to have lived in the cold and dark, often without water for bathing or flushing toilets for up to 2 weeks (and counting, for some). We KNOW how lucky we are that our houses were only basically uninhabitable for days, and not the months that our friends and relatives who live in the devastated areas will be homeless.

I'm sure the OP is fully aware that in the big scheme of things, not getting a Fire when promised isn't really a big deal. But maybe it's something that the OP thinks can actually GET FIXED. Haven't you ever had a day (or two weeks) where it seemed that everything that could go wrong did, but the thing that really got you upset was something small?

At this point, all those of us who live in NJ and NY want is for things to get back to normal. And frankly, being at a point where we can worry about things like this is part of that getting back to normal.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2012 9:00:11 AM PST
quilt lover says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2012 9:00:40 AM PST
~nospin says:
There is a difference to being without power for ten days and being homeless because your house was washed out to sea.

That said, my bet is that the OP was not polite when dealing
with CS.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2012 9:01:47 AM PST
Jazzy_Jeff says:
Susan Lynn Umpleby says: Who are we to say when a person has a right to be irked by something in any case?

I guess we do when it is brought up on a public discussion.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2012 9:01:52 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 16, 2012 9:02:34 AM PST
Hear, hear.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2012 9:04:09 AM PST
"So they should never ever be irked by anything in perpetuity because of it?"

No one is making that argument.

Try to follow along here:

A disaster happened in which dozens of people were killed, billions of dollars in property damage was done, and thousands were left out in the cold with no power, food, heat, water, or electricity for weeks. As a DIRECT result of that SPECIFIC disaster, the OP was unable to get a new shiny electronic toy as fast as she otherwise would have. The same event that caused the delay in her getting a new toy caused the death of others. Get it? The same event. Not some random bad event in another part of the world. The same event. One more time: THE SAME EVENT.

No one is saying that she couldn't be irked if there was a delay in getting her Fire because there was a bus accident in Kazakhstan.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2012 9:05:05 AM PST
S. Prewitt says:
A. Dana,
You obviously have every right to be annoyed at Amazon for not putting you back in line. I have to laugh at the Amazon fanboys and fangirls here: I think they've reached a new low. Apparently, according to them, Amazon should not be criticized for any transgression unless it ranks with natural disaster or murder!

Posted on Nov 16, 2012 9:06:06 AM PST
See JennMars' very apt post above.

Posted on Nov 16, 2012 9:06:41 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 16, 2012 9:07:29 AM PST
M. Kirst says:
It happened to me, too. I lost my place in line when I ordered it the first day we could pre-order because I thought I had confirmed the order but hadn't. I think this is probably a better policy though, than what they used to do. They simply charged you when it was ready to ship. I think it's better to get a heads up and ask for confirmation. I can see where getting the Fire would have been a bright point in what you've been going through, and was probably wanted even more than by someone who wasn't touched by this disaster. As for me I'm going to get back in line now.... bye. I hope they give you one now.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
NEWS: New Update for Kindle Reading Apps on Android and iOS
75 19 hours ago
Announcement
Hachette/Amazon Business Interruption
0 May 27, 2014
Announcement
Have a Kindle Question?
0 Sep 12, 2012
FB&C--Free Books and Chat--Thursday July 10, 2014 40 2 minutes ago
Al's Place 35mm 1550 3 minutes ago
Can Only Borrow 1 Book a Month 238 3 minutes ago
We're an International Quirky Bunch! Put a Stelvin Closure on Your Tequila Arm and Prepare for the Apocalypse! Grab the Midnight Goats, Orange Loving Cows, Cat and Dog Overlords of the Universe, Plus Cherie! So Geese! 9100 8 minutes ago
Found Kindle.... How to Return 11 9 minutes ago
KINDLE KITCHEN #4: Home of Family, Friends and Good Food! 1069 13 minutes ago
raok 77 - a glimpse of heaven? 6428 15 minutes ago
Dear Authors of Series books. 16 17 minutes ago
Kindle Fire HD shortcuts bar disappeared 23 18 minutes ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  30
Total posts:  95
Initial post:  Nov 16, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 18, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions