Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

FREE Books & Chat Wed. Dec. 19, 2012

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 167 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 18, 2012 9:20:41 PM PST
Courtney says:
Hello and good evening/afternoon/morning. Feel free to pull up a spot next to the tv. It's playing a nice crackling fire with Christmas tunes courtesy of the roku. I'll toss you a blanket, just don't sit on the toddler passed out on the floor. Oh, and mind the black dog and black cat as well.

Any requests for Christmas music? I have a very small selection of Hanukkah music, if you are still in the mood, so you may want to bring your own.

There are 5 days left until Christmas (depending on your time zone, but as an American in the Eastern Time Zone it is my job to assume mine is the center of the world **Just Joking***). Amazon keeps telling me I need to finish shopping if I want it there by Christmas. There are 344 days until Hanukkah 2014.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Links to daily free book sources:

Kinlib:
http://us.kinlib.com/

Ereaderiq:
ereaderiq.com/free/mn

Dailyfreebooks:
dailyfreebooks.com

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
** SPECIAL MESSAGE TO AUTHORS **
You are welcome to join us for conversation, however, self-promotion or posting a link to your book in this area is against Amazon's TOS. Please go to the "Meet Our Authors" area for that, as many of us do check there as well.
THANK YOU FOR FOLLOWING THE RULES!

Book Discussion:
Our next book discussion is on January 10, 2013 about the book NOT FREE In Deep Voodoo (Mojo, Louisiana humorous mystery series #1) NOT FREE also found in NOT FREE Love Can Be Murder (boxed set of humorous mysteries) NOT FREE

BubbaK - Thursday, December 20, Start time around 12 am EST
Lover of Blitzen - Friday, December 21st, Start Time: 12:30am PST
KayKay - Saturday, December 22, start time 12:30-1:30 EST
KayKay - Sunday, December 23, start time 12:30 - 1:30 EST
Twas The Night...Leo.. Monday, Dec. 24 Start Time: 12:30am PST
Elf Keeper - Tuesday, December 25 start time: 6-7:00AM EST probably earlier
Courtney - Wednesday, Dec. 26 Start time around 12am EST
MerryInTexas - Thursday, Dec. 27
Lover of Blitzen - Friday, December 28th, Start Time: 12:30am PST

Open Dates:

Saturday, Dec. 29
Sunday, Dec. 30
Monday, Dec. 31

*** Please consider volunteering to be a thread starter. If you have the desire, but not the knowledge, please ask. We are happy to give you the confidence boost and the knowledge to create a start.*********

Yesterday's link
http://www.amazon.com/forum/kindle/ref=cm_cd_pg_pg1?_encoding=UTF8&cdForum=Fx1D7SY3BVSESG&cdPage=1&cdThread=Tx15Y7AS3HPOOMI

Posted on Dec 18, 2012 9:20:56 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 18, 2012 9:22:46 PM PST
Courtney says:
Secret Santa is being arranged. If you are participating please make sure you have sent your email. Also, please check your wishlist to ensure it is ready! Otherwise, Merry Terry will put you on the naughty list ;)

Posted on Dec 18, 2012 10:01:14 PM PST
Courtney says:
Randomness: Tuesday my toddler and I were sitting on a train, and I had the random thought I wonder when he's 1000 days old. Turns out today he is 1000 days old. Maybe I'll make him a nice vanilla cake:

http://www.joyofbaking.com/VanillaCake.html

I made this Monday for my husband to take to work, and the little bit that I tried was wonderful. I think I need more.

Posted on Dec 18, 2012 10:46:05 PM PST
Lyn says:
When you say "he", does this mean you didn't make the cake a pretty pink like in the picture?

Nice start.

PPM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1hZhbJqX0fQ "A Soalin"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xujMdReCfgE "We Wish You A Merry Christmas"

And a droid app that people (all 6) loved or hated: Christmas RADIO
Christmas RADIO

Posted on Dec 18, 2012 11:34:21 PM PST
Courtney says:
Nah. I made the cake balls pink for husband to take to work :) I was thinking purple though...

Posted on Dec 19, 2012 1:12:48 AM PST
4Nbahu says:
If any bakers out there downloaded NOT FREE NOW The Home Baking Guide to Substituting and Measuring (In the Pantry Baking Standards) NOT FREE NOW on December 13th. Move it to it's own folder or top of you cookbook list. There aren't recipes per se just conversions. i.e. no Karo syrup? no buttermilk? How many tablespoons in a cup?

For many you may know the above by heart. But just in case you forget something at the store this will be very helpful.

Posted on Dec 19, 2012 2:23:51 AM PST
Good morning all. Thank you for getting us started this morning Courtney. I think my choice would be to start with Oh Holy Night and then more on to Silver Bells or Silent Night or..... well, just let the iPod play on cause I like them all! Thanks for the comfy blanket...

A few of my picks to start the day off...

Here, Have a Husband - Contemporary Fiction

Here, Have a Husband tells a story of the prospect of marriage in a society plagued by a strict, government matchmaking program that pairs and binds applicants to the perfect partner from a simple questionnaire. Told from the sarcastic point-of-view of strong-willed Rainy Clarke, the story begins when the fresh-out-of-college heroine receives the news of her government-assigned engagement to one of the most eligible bachelors in the country. Caught up in a high-profile engagement turned government publicity stunt, Rainy begins to realize that love and marriage are not always the same things, especially in the eyes of the government. The fight to reverse the strict marriage matchmaking system, that seems to be a thorn in the lives of not only her but those around her, falls on Rainy's shoulders. Filled with relationships that shape every part of existence, Here, Have a Husband triumphantly proves that the right to happiness is something worth fighting even the most formidable opponent for.

Are you looking for amazing Italian appetizers that will make your mouth water? Trying to find great tasting dishes that bring a little bit of Italy into your home? Look no further!

Mouthwatering Appetizers From Il Bel Paese (Italian Cuisine) - Cooking

You will learn how to prepare classics dishes like Biscotti, Bruschetta, Fig and Prosciutto Flatbread, Mozzarella Garlic Cheese Bread, Chicken Braciole, Homemade Italian Meatballs, Prosciutto Fontina Pinwheels, Salsiccia Bread, Prosciutto-Wrapped Persimmons, Margherita Pizza, Polenta Tart, Tomato Onion Tart, Stuffed Artichokes, Caponata, Roasted Red Pepper Involtini, Antipasto Skewers, Marinated Mozzarella, Marinated Vegetables, and lots more! You will receive 41 incredible Italian recipes in this book.

Highland Fling - Romantic Comedy

Love can be full of surprises.
Thirty-two year old Lizzie Marshall, fled to the Scottish Highlands after her husband, Max's affair. But running a B&B under her maiden name doesn't mean she's over him, and advice from her best friend, Jane, who can't sort out her own love-life, isn't helping. Max wants Lizzie back, but can she ever trust him again?
Jack Drake's having serious doubts about his fiancée, especially as he's not really sure how he came to be engaged in the first place! Does he love her enough to marry her, or should he end things before it's too late? He's hoping a weekend in Scotland with five of his friends, will help him decide.
Forty-five year old farmer, Iain Hamilton, vowed he'd never marry again, and a thirty-two year old woman from London is the last person he should be interested in. If only he could stop thinking about her....
When Jack and his friends arrive at Lizzie's B&B for a long weekend, love seems to be on everyone's minds. But more than one person, is in for a surprise.

Posted on Dec 19, 2012 4:32:50 AM PST
Courtney says:
I go to sleep and we fall to page 2?

Let me change the music to be more upbeat: how about Rockin' Around the Christmas Tree?

Posted on Dec 19, 2012 5:19:26 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 19, 2012 5:24:52 AM PST
Free again
Death Has a Name (The Brodie Wade Series) thriller/horror

New
Herbs Gone Wild! Ancient Remedies Turned Loose

Posted on Dec 19, 2012 5:57:45 AM PST
new mom says:
Can I pick 3 Christmas songs?
1. Joy to the World, because it's my 6 year old's favorite
2. Away in the Manager because my almost 4 year old loves it and there's nothing sweeter than hearing him sing it
3. Grandma Got Run Over By a Reindeer because it always reminds me of my dad who passed away when I was young. He loved that song!

Posted on Dec 19, 2012 6:02:37 AM PST
Suze says:
Thanks Courteny...great start! Cute idea of cake to celebrate 1000 days!

Posted on Dec 19, 2012 6:05:22 AM PST
new mom says:
Since we're talking Christmas music, you might want to check out this Christmas album on Amazon NOT FREE The Essential NOW That's What I Call Christmas NOT FREE It was on my wish list at $8 and the price dropped to $0.99 today so I had to grab it.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 6:06:52 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 19, 2012 6:29:23 AM PST
Good Morning All! Nice start Courtney. May I please have Glen Campbell's version of I'll Be Home For Christmas? That was my mom's favorite and while I get a bit teary eyed when it plays I also feel closer to her. Would also enjoy Bing Crosby's White Christmas, Nat King Cole's The Christmas Song, Winter Wonderland (maybe Johnny Mathis' or The Carpenter's version), Paul McCartney's Wonderful Christmastime, Wham's Last Christmas (gotta dance) and last but not least Snoopy's Christmas by the Royal Guardsmen. That will do nicely for now :-)

ETA: I'd have liked to pick this CD up, but as it's on my Christmas list this year I better not:
100% Christmas- The Greatest Artists 100 Hits (Sorry, but link does NOT seem to be coming up on Ammy today) NOT FREE I believe it was around $9.99

Posted on Dec 19, 2012 6:09:35 AM PST
Suze says:
¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨ ★
¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨ **
¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨*o*
¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨*♥*o*
¨¨¨¨¨¨¨***o***
¨¨¨¨¨¨**o**♥*o*
¨¨¨¨¨**♥**o**o**
¨¨¨¨**o**♥***♥*o*
¨¨¨*****♥*o**o****
¨¨**♥**o*****o**♥**
¨******o*****♥**o***
****o***♥**o***o***♥ *
¨¨¨¨¨____!_!____
¨¨¨¨¨.._________/¨¨¨

~~~~~~~SECRET SANTA~~~~~~

Very soon you will find out via email who you will play Secret Santa to! Also it is important for you to post here tomorrow or Friday, at least once. That way your Secret Santa can click on your name and see what's on your Wish List. Just post and say "Hi", if you're running short on time. This is going to be fun!!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 6:44:28 AM PST
Becky (NOLA) says:
The limit is 2.99 right? So we could so one 2.99 book, or three .99 books, or one 1.99 and one .99? it's the amount not the number of books? :)

Posted on Dec 19, 2012 6:44:44 AM PST
Linda B says:
Favorite Christmas songs:
O Holy Night
Rockin' Around the Christmas Tree
Blue Christmas by Elvis

Posted on Dec 19, 2012 6:45:28 AM PST
B.J. says:
Good morning everyone. Yes, Suze, it does sound like fun. Wonder how many 'pranks' this crazy group can think of? I'd love to try a few, but I'm too dense to think of any. Looks like another busy day here, Christmas is getting so close. Have a good day everyone.

BJ

Posted on Dec 19, 2012 6:52:55 AM PST
Selibeth says:
I don't post much on this board. I have always been a little shy. I just wanted to say thank you for this group of great people. I have been apart of this group for a little over three years now.

Thank you to the group of people that are doing the secret santa. I am so looking forward to spoiling someone a little extra.:) Thank you for letting be a part of it!

I want to wish everyone a very Merry Christmas and may all your dreams come true in 2013. :)

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 7:01:27 AM PST
Lyn says:
That's right Becky, it is the amount not the number of books.

Being a mid Sounder not a north or south one, we got our first dirty word of the season. But very little and the rain will have it gone in a bit.

Off to check out some books so Merry Terry will take my coal away.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 7:04:35 AM PST
Glad you overcame your shyness to post, Seli Elf.

Wishing you all the joys of the season.

Posted on Dec 19, 2012 7:12:42 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 19, 2012 7:14:15 AM PST
TerryInTexas says:
Hi and welcome to Seli, everybody make her feel at home!

Becky - yes it is the amount, so it is up to your Secret Santa to decide if they want to give one or several.......I noticed a number of wishlists where you wily elves already figured this one out....

Need to pull out my phone for my current favorite songs, but I want to introduce you to my new favorite group - this is all a capella - all of it - they are amazing -Pentatonix

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WSUFzC6_fp8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6irEr8-N38
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6eUsGM13ZV8

To really hear what they are capable of, listen to their version of Starships

Posted on Dec 19, 2012 7:19:58 AM PST
TerryInTexas says:
oh, and Ribbon - last night you mentioned that folks in Denver must know how to drive in snow, so why a snow day......yeah. I was in Denver last January, flew in right after a major blizzard, and the temps stayed below freezing the entire week. I drove. And felt right at home. Except for the part whenever my co-workers GPS needed to get us somewhere, it consistently took a turn on a street that was a)uphill b)icy and not sanded, and c)had cars lining either side of the street. Even managed to find restaurant parking lots in the same condition. Got to be the catchline, which uphill do you want me to take?

Posted on Dec 19, 2012 7:23:25 AM PST
TerryInTexas says:
Suze - check your email

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 7:33:54 AM PST
Lyn says:
A lot of that was my sense of humor or lack there of.

When my SO worked for T-Mobile over in Bellevue, a team from Denver was there. It was a lightly snowing day. They came and parked up the hill. And proceeded to wonder why all this concern with so little snow and ice. They had no problems driving. It wasn't until they were driving back to their hotel and had to come down a quarter of a mile on a very steep non-snowplowed, very icy but "sanded" road...

Posted on Dec 19, 2012 7:35:46 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 19, 2012 9:38:21 AM PST
4Nbahu says:
After making 18 of these over the past few days. I decided I'd share. For the party i use the sugar/walnut topping and for the kids the multi-colored sprinkles (I personally find the sprinkles a bit powdery after baked but the kids like them)

BROWNIES.
The basic recipe comes from my favorite cookie cookbook NOT FREE NOW "Better Homes and Gardens: Homemade Cookies " NOT FREE NOW. I adjusted the recipe for the following pan sizes.
I bake two 11X7X1.5 " pans at the same time. I butter and flour the pans and put them to the side. I also have the oven rack on the middle or higher shelf so the bottoms don't burn. I sift the flour twice. Once alone and once with the baking soda and baking powder. I think this gives a lighter brownie.
BROWNIE INGREDIENTS:
2 ¼ cups Sugar
1 cup almost melted butter.
¾ cup cocoa and one extra spoon for love.
3 eggs
2 tsp vanilla
2 ¼ cup sifted All Purpose Flour (measure before sifting)
¾ cup Milk
¾ tsp Baking Soda
¾ tsp Baking Powder
TOPPINGS

BROWNIES

1. Preheat Oven 350F or 190C
2. Sift the flour (again) with the Baking Soda and Baking Powder keep aside.
3. Place butter into pan and almost melt it.
4. Add cocoa and sugar and stir until thoroughly mixed,
5. Add milk and vanilla
6. Touch batter if not too warm
7. Add eggs and thoroughly mix. At this stage it can either be grainy from the sugar or almost soupy. Either way is fine.
8. Add the flour and mix just until all of the flour is incorporated. Do not over stir.
9. Pour into the two floured baking pans.
10. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes then switch pans' positions. Front/back AND Side to Side
11. Bake for another 10 to 12 minutes

******* DO NOT BAKE LIKE A CAKE. The brownies should be a little gooey on the inside. If you bake until a toothpick comes out clean then the brownie will be dry.

*Add preferred topping.

TOPPINGS

1. SUGAR & NUT TOPPING :Sprinkle sugar on top and then cover in chopped nuts (walnuts or pecans) (I just grab a handful of sugar and sprinkle until roughly covered with the sugar and I use about a half a cup of the chopped nuts.
2. PEPPERMINT ICING (from the grasshopper cookies) 2 ½ - 3 cups sifted powdered Sugar, ¼ cup very softened butter, ¼ cup milk, ½ teaspoon Peppermint Extract, Green Food Coloring. In a bowl put the butter, milk, extract and food coloring. Once it is thoroughly mixed and a smooth consistency slowly add the flour, keeping the consistency smooth. When all the powdered sugar is incorporated into the mixture continue mixing for a couple minutes more to make it light and fluffy.
3. SPRINKLE: Cover with any store bought multi colored sprinkles.
4. M&Ms

ETA: BECAUSE THE FLOUR IS 2 TWO AND 1/4 CUPS FLOUR NOT 3
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
Enjoy your print books and personal documents on your Kindle with Kindle Convert.
0 24 days ago
Announcement
Have a Kindle Question?
0 Sep 12, 2012
lost kindle 0 36 seconds ago
SwagBucks Thread 5042 3 minutes ago
KINDLE KITCHEN #4: Home of Family, Friends and Good Food! 8111 10 minutes ago
kindle fire hd 1 13 minutes ago
ECHO's of Friendship 811 14 minutes ago
kindle fire hdx 8.9 volume mayday 20 17 minutes ago
Overdrive Library Books Not in Kindle Format Recently 69 20 minutes ago
Delete iCloud books 9 20 minutes ago
Low internal storage space on Kindle Fire 375 20 minutes ago
Kindle Fire HD won't charge?! 277 21 minutes ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  49
Total posts:  167
Initial post:  Dec 18, 2012
Latest post:  Dec 20, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 4 customers

Search Customer Discussions