Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

RAOK #48 The Turkey Room

This discussion has reached the maximum length permitted, and cannot accept new replies. Start a new discussion

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 1000 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 1, 2012 6:13:15 PM PDT
Josue says:
Never to early for some turkey. Welcome to room 48. We have reached the month for giving thanks! Where has the year gone by? Here doing my duty in opening the room, wanna thank all the raok'ers and welcoming all new members if you choose to join us. (We don't bite)

Now for the requisite warnings and tips:

To quote our founder Virgoddess (to remember why this thread was started - over 1 year ago): "The point of this thread is to spread the word. What "we" do is click on a username of a poster (any poster in the forum) and scroll to the bottom, find their wish list. If you click on a book *in* their wish list, you can send it to them - without exposing your email address to them, or theirs to you.

To participate, you don't have to do a thing (except make sure your wish list is public!). You are under no obligation to buy anyone anything. If you'd like to thank the person that sent you a gift (which is very much appreciated), you can post here. Please be sure to link to the book you received; all our wish lists have grown from seeing what others are reading. You can just join in our chit chat, too. The point is to be positive, and hopefully bring a smile to someone's face. This isn't about repaying, or anything like that. It's about giving - a shoulder, a book, a smile.

SOME TIPS: To send a book, simply click on the username here in the forum of the person you want to gift to. Scroll down, and you will hopefully see their wish list. Click on "see all x items" to pull up their entire list (do NOT click a book jacket from their profile page). You will see a yellow button, under the title saying "give as a gift" and click that. It will take you to the message screen, where you can change the "from" name, and add a note. Their email address will be "hidden" for privacy, but it will be sent to them.

To make your wish list public, pull up the list and there is a quick link on the upper right of every page, titled "Wish List" directly under the "Your Account" link. Click that. It will take you to your wish list. Directly under the title of your wish list, you will see a drop down menu, titled "Manage this list". Click that, and in the drop down, click "Change Privacy Settings" and make sure it says "Make list public".

SAFETY TIPS and INFORMATION: Follow the above instructions to get to your wish list. Again, click the "Manage this list" drop down menu. This time, select "Edit Settings" and this will bring you to a screen that shows your privacy settings. The name you see on the Name line is the name that is shown to people you GIFT books to. Simply change it to the name you're comfortable with and save. This will prevent your full name from being displayed on your gifts.

To make your wish list visible from your profile, you have to go into your profile and edit it. You need to change the middle section (wish list and registries) to show everyone. If you have that set to private but your wish list public, others can find your wish list through the search, but not your profile. If you change that wish list setting on your profile to everyone, you'll be good to go. That just makes the list visible from the profile, it doesn't change any other privacy settings you have.

To change your Account Name, you have to go to Your Account in the upper right corner then Change Account Settings and edit your name. This won't affect anything that I can see except what it shows at the top of the page when it says "Hi Cyndie" instead of "Hi Cyndie MyLastName". And all people will see on their Digital Orders that send me any gifts is Cyndie, not Cyndie MyLastName." (this last one is important, since it doesn't change anything in YOUR view, lots of people end up having their real names showing on their WL instead of their screen names. Also, you need to make that change separately for EACH public wish list.) It sounds complicated, but it really isn't, and it's well worth a few minutes' work.

Finally, always remember RAOK's don't have to be books. They can be anything you do here or off the forum in your actual lives to do something nice for someone. No one is "keeping score" either. If someone does something nice for you, just find a way to pass it on.

Posted on Nov 1, 2012 6:17:57 PM PDT
seedlady says:
already? goodness me!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 1, 2012 6:22:09 PM PDT
Pipeline™ says:
You caught up, lurker.

Posted on Nov 1, 2012 6:24:38 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Nov 1, 2012 6:24:51 PM PDT
hi to everyone in the new room.... great job Josh...

Posted on Nov 1, 2012 6:28:58 PM PDT
Pipeline™ says:
Yeah RM!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 1, 2012 6:28:58 PM PDT
Josue says:
Jessica?? Why Belle? Very close to Bella, Ali will be jealous?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 1, 2012 6:29:22 PM PDT
Good job, Josh! :)

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 1, 2012 6:29:36 PM PDT
Pipeline™ says:
It's ALIVE!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 1, 2012 6:29:43 PM PDT
Jess! So nice to see you!!!

Posted on Nov 1, 2012 6:29:47 PM PDT
Loz says:
Hi to the new room. No turkey for me till Christmas and that's only cause I make my mum cook one for me! :)

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 1, 2012 6:29:58 PM PDT
It's a christmas name.... I did not feel like choosing a thanksgiving and then another one...too hard to pick...she was scrooges girlfriend

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 1, 2012 6:30:11 PM PDT
Hey there Jess! How are you?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 1, 2012 6:30:13 PM PDT
seedlady says:
true, dat.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 1, 2012 6:30:14 PM PDT
LOL yes ALIVE

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 1, 2012 6:30:45 PM PDT
Hi Carol.... it's nice to be back.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 1, 2012 6:31:03 PM PDT
Reading Mom says:
Cool!!! For the very first time I got to close the room :-) .......and not because I have smelly armpits or stinky feet either

Posted on Nov 1, 2012 6:31:10 PM PDT
seedlady says:
and i got next to last, and next to first, which is pretty good.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 1, 2012 6:31:17 PM PDT
Pipeline™ says:
It's easier to catch up when you can keep your fingers silent.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 1, 2012 6:31:32 PM PDT
Nisi assured me that you wouldn't mind if I took over the planning for our next party. I hope that's the case...?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 1, 2012 6:31:54 PM PDT
Hi SEP...I'm holding up. Lots going on this month. How are you?

Posted on Nov 1, 2012 6:31:54 PM PDT
Just Theo says:
I typed a whole paragraph and was locked out. !@$!@$1

So, I've got 3 co-workers to back me up. I finally figured out what he's been logging his work as..... the fool used MY bucket today. Says he did over 40 transactions. I only received 37 for the day, I did 18 of them myself and 3 I sent out to people other than him, another co-worker did the rest. I caught you, LIAR.

*discount double check dance*

Cause you've been checked.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 1, 2012 6:32:05 PM PDT
Reading Mom says:
Hi Jess--I was just asking Josh about you--it was the last post in the previous room. Hope your surgery goes well on Mon. I'll be thinking about you

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 1, 2012 6:32:06 PM PDT
:) Well done!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 1, 2012 6:32:25 PM PDT
Pipeline™ says:
Good, and the timing couldn't be better. See, there's this party coming up, and you need to tell everyone to leave me all by myself in here so I can sing to the walls and...I'm rambling again.

Posted on Nov 1, 2012 6:32:35 PM PDT
Josue says:
Thank you all.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 400 Next ›
Discussion locked

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  53
Total posts:  10000
Initial post:  Nov 1, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 20, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions