Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

Deregister my Kindle fire

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 93 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 14, 2012 9:21:29 AM PST
I am selling my Kindle fire and buying a new Kindle Fire HD next tuesday. I have a few questions:

1. Do I have to have my Kindle fire plugged into my computer to deregister it?
2. Do I delete all content on the old Kindle fire before or after I deregister it?
3. Will all of the music,books and app's currently listed in my account be available to download when I register my new kindle fire HD next week?
Thanks frank

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2012 9:24:13 AM PST
1. No, you can de-register from the device itself, without being connected to the computer. Look in the Settings...(I don't have the older Fire anymore, so can't give specific directions)

2. It will be wiped clean when you de-register.

3. Everything on your account will be available to download, with the possible exception of any app that hasn't been updated to work on the Fire HD. Sample books aren't stored for you, so if you have any of those, you need to make a note of them so you can download them again.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2012 9:25:55 AM PST
You don't have to plug the Fire into the computer. Just turn on the wi-fi.

Unlike e-ink Kindles, de-registering a Fire removes the content.

Your books and music will be available to download. Some apps will be and some won't, because the Fire and the HD have different operating systems. You may need to download an updated version, or contact the developers to ask them to update the apps you like.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2012 9:25:57 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 14, 2012 9:30:20 AM PST
There is a setting to restore to factory defaults. That removes everything that you did and restores back to the way it was when sent from the factory. That sounds like the setting you want.

Everything you purchased belongs to the account. Just be sure to register you new Kindle to the same account and everything is there to re-download and install

I highly recommend that the Kindle is fully charged before restoring but during the restore the Kindle should not be connected t othe computer

Edit - Here is a good website - http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html/ref=hp_k6land_troub?nodeId=200729330

1.Tap the Quick Settings icon, then tap More.
2.Tap Device.
3.Tap Reset to Factory Defaults.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2012 11:40:45 AM PST
Does this process also remove the old kindle fire from my computer as well?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2012 11:47:02 AM PST
Deregistering does remove it from your account.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2012 11:56:25 AM PST
OK, then how do I remove it from my computer?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2012 12:01:05 PM PST
I'm not sure what you mean by removing it from your computer. Do you mean you have the Kindle for PC (or Mac) app on the computer? If that's what you mean, it's completely separate from the Kindle itself. You can keep it or not; it will have no effect on the old or new Fire.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2012 6:11:02 PM PST
Thanks to everyone who responded in such an awesome time frame, you guys rock with excellent answers to my questions

Posted on Nov 15, 2012 1:36:55 AM PST
J. Nurse says:
I bought a kindle for my mom, but it was registered to my amazon account. This morning I deregistered it and created an account for her so that the kindle is now tied to that account, but now none of the books she had purchased are there. How do I get them back? I shouldnt have to repurchase them.

Please advise

Posted on Dec 29, 2012 9:25:02 PM PST
mccshe says:
ok so forgive me for being technologically impaired..lol...I AM over 50 after all.I just got a kindle fire hd 8.9 4g LTE...have someone who wants my old kindle fire, how do I pass it along and remove my account from the old device without losing it all on my new tablet?

Posted on Jan 2, 2013 1:41:55 AM PST
SexyBum says:
i have deregistered by kindle but does that include anything that was downloaded on the device not just via amazon cloud drive etc ?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 2, 2013 3:26:28 AM PST
flipoid says:
Deregistering your old Kindle Fire will have no effect on the content of your new Kindle Fire. It will simply wipe all content off the old Fire.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 2, 2013 3:27:49 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 2, 2013 3:28:46 AM PST
flipoid says:
Don't understand your question--deregistering a device has no effect on the content of your Cloud/Archive.

Edit to correct a word--darn auto-correct!

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 2, 2013 6:05:22 AM PST
SexyBum says:
Hi, sorry i understand my content would still be on cloud/archive but if i stored photos directly to the device not via amazon cloud - is that deleted as well? many thanks

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 2, 2013 9:45:13 AM PST
flipoid says:
Yes, anything that you transfer manually to your Kindle should be backed up from your Kindle (back to your computer) so it's not lost when the device gets wiped.

Posted on Mar 31, 2013 10:59:52 AM PDT
shopdrop says:
If I deregister my kindle am i able to access all the books on my iPad if I have the kindle app and reregistered my kindle account to the iPad?

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 31, 2013 11:01:12 AM PDT
Jazzy_Jeff says:
Yes

Posted on Apr 2, 2013 4:11:38 AM PDT
Can I de registet my kindle from amazon account without haven't the acctuali device in hand

Posted on Jun 28, 2013 9:23:24 AM PDT
Can books/apps from an inherited (grandma died; my daughter inherited) Kindle Fire be backed up to a computer and loaded back onto the Kindle Fire after it has been deregistered & then registered on my daughter's Amazon account (so she can buy books for it, participate in eloan, etc.)?

Posted on Jun 28, 2013 9:27:08 AM PDT
A. Sisk says:
No. They belong to the account, not the device. By starting a new account, anything on your g'ma's account is gone.

Posted on Sep 2, 2013 7:07:00 PM PDT
Coley says:
Im waiting on my laptop to get fixed so I got a kindle from the pawn shop and downloaded music directly to the device not realizing its still registared in someone else name. Will they get my music? And when I deregistar it will I lose the music I added?

Posted on Sep 2, 2013 9:33:25 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 2, 2013 9:35:20 PM PDT
Retired EE says:
If you got the music from Amazon you just donated it to whoever owned the account (PO). If you bought the music from Amazon, if that's possible without logging into the PO's account which you couldn't have done, then it would have been purchased using their credit so it wouldn't be yours anyway. If you got the music using the the Kindle's browser or some app (assuming a KF) which didn't use the PO's login and used your credit card then it would not be transferred to the PO and would be yours. When you get your PC back you need to save the music, if it's yours, on the PC unless it can be re-downloaded from wherever you got it. If you used an app, write down its name and the name of any other app you liked to aid in using the Kindle after the next step. I recomment that you perform a Restore to Factory to remove all the PO's content that isn't removed when you deregister it and reregister it into your amazon account. Be sure you save any of your content you wish to keep (i.e. pictures etc.) before doing the Restore to Factory because that will remove ALL content and there is no reversal for that process. That will give you a factory new Kindle (from a software standpoint).
Enjoy your Kindle which ever model it is.

Posted on Oct 11, 2013 6:07:05 PM PDT
my grandson keeps accidently deregistering my kindle. Is there a way that I can prevent this from happening?

Posted on Oct 22, 2013 12:35:16 AM PDT
S. NEAL says:
I have de-registerd my old Kindle but all the content is still there. Can I delete this without it having any effect on my new Kindle Fire?
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
NEWS: New Update for Kindle for Android 4.6
88 4 hours ago
Announcement
Update re: Amazon/Hachette Business Interruption
0 Jul 29, 2014
Announcement
Hachette/Amazon Business Interruption
0 May 27, 2014
Announcement
Have a Kindle Question?
0 Sep 12, 2012
Freebie Books - Links Only - No Self Promotion III 4422 4 seconds ago
RAoK #78 and still going! 3656 5 minutes ago
Book will not download for USB transfer 2 7 minutes ago
We're an International Quirky Bunch! Put on Your Chiffon and Taffeta, Sashay In, Pet a Midnight Goat, Cat or Dog, Crack Open Your Stelvin Closures and Say "Hi" to Cherie! 4344 10 minutes ago
kindle fire 1 11 minutes ago
sharing my books with family 28 22 minutes ago
FREE Books & Chat - Saturday 30th August, 2014 20 35 minutes ago
Facebook Videos on Kindle Fire HD 8 36 minutes ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  45
Total posts:  93
Initial post:  Nov 14, 2012
Latest post:  24 days ago

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 22 customers

Search Customer Discussions