Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

Just took the plunge.

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 43 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 27, 2012 5:29:03 PM PST
jp7395 says:
I bought a Kindle Paperwhite 3G earlier today, should be here tomorrow. I accidentally broke my K3 on Christmas Day and decided to buy the Paperwhite instead of a new K3. The only thing I do not like about the Paperwhite is the experimental browser, considering I do not have Wi-Fi where I live and must have 3G to buy books wirelessly. But I played with the display Paperwhite at Best Buy for quite a while and made my decision. I am so very excited. Do you Paperwhite owners love your Paperwhite?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 27, 2012 5:31:30 PM PST
Yes. LOVE. :0)

Posted on Dec 27, 2012 5:35:52 PM PST
jp7395 says:
Why do you like it? :]

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 27, 2012 5:36:58 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 27, 2012 5:37:25 PM PST
Dog Lover says:
I'm contemplating this too but I LOVE that keyboard. I don't like touch screens. Don't know if I will try the PW or not. However, to retain my status in KAnA, I feel I must either buy the PW and/or one of the Fire models.

Decisions, decisions.

DL

Posted on Dec 27, 2012 5:38:22 PM PST
CarolinaGirl says:
Isn't the experimental browser the same on all the kindles except the fire? Yes I love my paperwhite and use it everyday.

Posted on Dec 27, 2012 5:41:28 PM PST
jp7395 says:
Dog Lover: I liked it too, but never used it except when I was on the Internet. I don't take notes or anything. I think the thing I will miss most about the K3, physically, is the page turn buttons. But I think I'll adapt without too much trouble haha.

CarolinaGirl: No, the Kindle Keyboard allows you to, on 3G, go to other sites than just Amazon or Wikipedia, I think.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 27, 2012 5:41:53 PM PST
Oh. You didn't say I had to qualify it.;0)

Um...the screen is crisp & clear, even with the light all the way down. The light is amazing; I can adjust it to suit any situation.

I was skeptical about the touch screen, but I like it just fine. It' s smaller & lighter than my KK.

I do wish it had TTS but I can live without that. I just love it.

Posted on Dec 27, 2012 5:42:48 PM PST
P.S. I should add that I'm a Kindle addict.

Posted on Dec 27, 2012 5:44:48 PM PST
Tinks says:
I really like my Paperwhite. I went from a KK to PW. I did not think I would like the touchscreen, but I love how easy it is to look up a word now. I also love the Time to Read feature and of course the built in light.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 27, 2012 5:45:01 PM PST
monilee says:
Absolutely LOVE my paperwhite. Hope you enjoy yours!

Posted on Dec 27, 2012 5:51:18 PM PST
jp7395 says:
Yes, I only used TTS once on my K3 and I didn't like it much. I think I will really like my new PW, though I am a bit anxious about the colored spots on the screen. Has Amazon fixed that? I know about the light banding at the bottom and have seen it in person and it won't bother me. But the colored blobs?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 27, 2012 6:07:15 PM PST
BethW says:
I have relegated my KK to audiobooks. I love my PW. The page turning is better than I expected. I especially like the reading in bed without needing external light. The page quality is great.

Posted on Dec 27, 2012 6:10:55 PM PST
jp7395 says:
In Best Buy I was floored at how sharp the text was and how much quicker the page turns were than my K3. It is a speedy little device. I can't wait to try it out at night sitting in bed!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 27, 2012 6:11:47 PM PST
BethW says:
I forgot how much I enjoy how light the PW is compared to the KK.

Posted on Dec 27, 2012 6:18:57 PM PST
jp7395 says:
Yeah in Best Buy I was very excited because it was lighter. I am worried though about holding it. When I read on my K3 I would hold it by the keyboard, or with my thumb resting on the page-turn button. I have big toe thumbs which are really wide and when testing out the display PW my thumb kept inadvertently touching the screen, though I had it resting on the bezel.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 27, 2012 6:20:56 PM PST
BethW says:
Small thumbs but I do occasionally 'drop' when drowsy and turn the page.

Posted on Dec 27, 2012 6:22:24 PM PST
jp7395 says:
I'm sure I will get use to keeping my thumb out of the way. That isn't a big enough issue for me to truly be annoyed at. :D

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 27, 2012 6:23:42 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 27, 2012 6:33:11 PM PST
Dog Lover says:
I depend on the covers to help me avoid accidental page turns, etc. for both the KK and the Basic models.

This thread has helped me. I have decided to postpone any new Kindle purchases (I can hear the gasps now!) For now, at least, SIX will have to be enough.

I'm even tracking my book purchases toward a financial goal! Who'd a thunk it. I set up a Gift Card for $100 thinking, "Aha! This will help me understand how much I'm spending as I spend it!" It worked. I "understand" that I spent $164 in one day. That Gift Card is history.

I will keep trying though. Primarily because it is ridiculous that I don't even know how much I spend until the monthly credit card bill arrives.

So ... with high goals but realistic expectations of achievement, I am yours,

DL - PWless and Fireless (for a while)

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 27, 2012 6:25:43 PM PST
BethW says:
But you spent a lot of money on gifts for others so that does not count!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 27, 2012 6:26:54 PM PST
Dog Lover says:
Thanks - those gift purchases go into a different "bucket."

DL

Posted on Dec 27, 2012 6:28:53 PM PST
jp7395 says:
Dog Lover: Good Lord man! Well, I am happy that my thread helped, however much. I don't use a credit card for exactly that purpose, haha. Debit cards are my bffs. :P

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 27, 2012 6:30:50 PM PST
~nospin says:
I use it in landscape mode and find resting my thumb on the edge of the bezel allows me to use the exact same movement as pushing the button on the kk.

I do think the Amz case for this model is almost a necessity.

Posted on Dec 28, 2012 6:40:34 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 28, 2012 6:41:15 AM PST
Dog Lover says:
Update (because I know you are all SO curious about my "plan")

It does not help in reducing spending when 1) Amazon offers such terrific deals on Kindle books, 2) those are accompanied by a !@#$%^ reduced price (SIGNIFICANT reductions!) on sync'd audible.com books, and 3) the reduced price thread alerts me to these deals!

Already bought a bunch today. This means, of course, that my, er, um, resolution to hold off on buying yet another eInk device is, um, er, wavering.

Yours, TSTL,

DL

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 28, 2012 6:43:10 AM PST
Cassie Anne says:
Wait. New deals? Where?

(Because I need more books and audio books like I need another hole in my head.)

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 28, 2012 6:44:44 AM PST
Just Peachy says:
Love mine.
Love the lighted screen even in a room with lights.
Love the x-ray feature and instant translation.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  13
Total posts:  43
Initial post:  Dec 27, 2012
Latest post:  Dec 29, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions