Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

8.9 as main ereader

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-12 of 12 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 20, 2012 3:57:16 PM PST
I have owned a kk as well as 1st gen k-fire. I loved my fire as a reader however never
really used the tablet function as it's too small to negotiate websites and constantly zooming in and out exasperated me. I recently bought a Samsung galaxy that I love! I miss my beloved kindle for reading. My galaxy is 10.1 and a tad too big for my hands. Does anyone here use a k-fire 8.9 as their full time reader? I've held it in best buy and it seems a good choice. I have some serious health issues and my kindle really allows me to escape from daily pain and toxic drugs that are supposed to heal lol. Please share with me your experience using the 8.9 as your main reader? Thank you!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 20, 2012 4:10:30 PM PST
Just Peachy says:
I don't have a 8.9 Fire but have you considered getting one of these for reading Kindle, 6" E Ink Display, Wi-Fi - Includes Special Offers (Black) and keep your tablet for web browsing?

Posted on Dec 20, 2012 4:11:35 PM PST
Betty says:
yes I use the 8.9 as my main ereader Great. I bought the original kindle Fire last yearand loved it. I wanted to share my books with another family member and gave it to her. She loves reading on it. Then I bought Blackberry Playbook because I wanted to pair it with my phone. I used it as my main ereader although font size wasn't as goodto adjust as kindle. When 8.9 KF came out I wanted it and it is so much better than Blackberry PB and the size in hand is perfect. I have been listening to music on it while I read. Perfect font size, quick response, played movie on my tv with hdmi cable. This is the perfect tablet for me. I was thinking of going to 10.1 Samsung note but glad I didn't.

Posted on Dec 20, 2012 4:15:09 PM PST
Old Rocker says:
Adding a case to the 8.9 makes it easier to grip and hold while reading. I waited a month before buying a case. I'm glad I have a case now.

Posted on Dec 20, 2012 4:18:27 PM PST
it's my main reader, and I love it.

Posted on Dec 20, 2012 4:30:30 PM PST
Ty! Peachy I have considered it but after my kindle fire I can't go backwards lol. I was more enquiring as to how ppl enjoyed the 8.9 as far as comfort when holding for long periods of time and any other insights to be shared. Thank you for your kindness in reply and suggestion. Ty old rocker and bantibus I'm leaning towards the 8.9

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 20, 2012 4:35:20 PM PST
The Blade says:
I have the 8.9 and love it. But I can't use it as my main reader. Too heavy and I don't like the eyestrain created by the LCD screen.

Typically, I use the 8.9 for short form reading - periodicals and such, but if I am going to settle in and read for a couple of hours or more, then I use an eink Kindle. I don't see that as a step backwards. To me, it is two different devices designed for two different purposes.

JMO. :-)

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 20, 2012 4:39:23 PM PST
Sarida says:
Chaya,

I have a retina display iPad 3, I don't consider my Kindle Keyboard "going backwards." I LOVE my KK.

Posted on Dec 20, 2012 4:48:19 PM PST
Opinions are why I'm here ;@) . Going back for me meaning after my fire purchase I can't imagine using the other models. I love love love amazon and my kindle fire. My husband bought me a nexus tab for Hanukkah so it was re gifted right back to him 2 nights later lol. I did not like using the kindle app as much as an actual kindle.

Posted on Dec 20, 2012 4:51:36 PM PST
Sarida .............. my phrase going backwards wasn't an attempt at being insulting but rather my take on how I feel about my fire.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 20, 2012 4:52:45 PM PST
~nospin says:
The ideal set up is a Paperwhite and the 8.9 Fire.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 20, 2012 5:04:59 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 20, 2012 5:05:28 PM PST
Bixillarla says:
The Fires uses a Kindle app for Ebooks, it is part of the operating system though.

The Fire is not a ereader, though it can be used to read books, it is a media consumption tablet.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  9
Total posts:  12
Initial post:  Dec 20, 2012
Latest post:  Dec 20, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions