Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

Kindle Fire HD and Watch ESPN

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-21 of 21 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 3, 2012 10:39:30 AM PDT
Mr. Lee says:
I would really like to watch ESPN 3 on my Kindle Fire HD. Has anyone found an app for this? The Fire is such a good media device, I am surprised that there is not an app to watch live sports video.

Posted on Nov 3, 2012 1:35:53 PM PDT
Fud53 says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 11, 2012 3:33:11 PM PST
jazzfan216 says:
I just watch it from the website. You have to pinch and zoom out the video screen to make it fit but it works. Just watched the Uof L game and it works just fine. Oh, BTW I use the Dolphin browser.

Posted on Nov 11, 2012 3:53:59 PM PST
There is an Espn app. I believe you can get it from 1mobile. The issue is that it only works with certain cable/satellite services. I was reading some reviews on the App on Google Play, and Directv users were disappointed that the content was not available for them. I have the same issue with the Showtime app. I subscribe to Showtime through Directv, but they are not one of the providers that works with the app.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 11, 2012 10:05:20 PM PST
Mr. Lee says:
Interesting. You watched it on what website? I go to the ESPN 3 and it wants the watch ESPN app to display the live sports programs. There is a "watch ESPN" app but it is not compatible with the Kindle Fire HD. I also use Dolphin browser. Can you provide more detailed information? I have Cox as my ISP and it supports ESPN3 videocasts.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 15, 2012 4:32:46 PM PST
If you use the dolphin browser you can access ESPN3 by changing the browser settings from android to desktop, installing flash player from dolphin
, and using the desktop version of espn.com.

Posted on Nov 18, 2012 6:49:44 AM PST
jazzfan216 says:
Yes, what Christopher said is how I do it. Also, you can sideload the older version of WatchESPN from freefireapps.net version 1.3.3 The providers are limited to Time Warner, BrightHouse and Verizon so if you subscribe to one of those you are good to go and that version works just fine on the fire.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2012 4:17:39 PM PST
Mr. Lee says:
Thank you very much, Christopher, for you insights. Changing the Dolphin browser to desktop did the trick. I used my desktop version of ESPN.com [cox communication] and "walla" I am now able to watch ESPN live. Thanks also to jazzfan216 for the help.

Posted on Nov 20, 2012 4:34:56 PM PST
Old Rocker says:
WatchESPN

This shows it is available for my HD

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2012 5:59:49 PM PST
Mr. Lee says:
Neat. I had checked this app a few weeks ago and it was listed as not compatible with my HD. Sweet.

Posted on Nov 20, 2012 11:03:36 PM PST
Allison says:
I installed dolphin, changed my settings to desktop and i still cant watch video. In the viewing box, i get a message telling me that the content is not authorized for my device. Any suggestions?

Posted on Nov 20, 2012 11:04:23 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Nov 21, 2012 5:41:30 AM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 21, 2012 6:34:32 AM PST
Mr. Lee says:
Have you also installed the Flash Player? Flash may be required to run certain videos. See the post below from Meya on installing Flash

Posted on Nov 3, 2012 11:14:19 AM PDT

Meya says:

You need to install the Dolphin Browser, then you can run Flash under it. Here's the directions:

To install Flash: (You have to have a Flash compatible browser in order to install Flash. You can't install it under Silk.)

Do the following on the Fire HD itself:

Swipe down from the top > More > Device > Allow Installation of Applications.

Install ES File Explorer: ES File Explorer

Install Dolpin (browser). The most current version of Dolphin won't work. You need the 8.5.1 version.
You get Dolphin here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1787595

The file downloads. You'll get a Notification that it did.

Launch ES File Explorer, and look in the Downloads folder. You'll see the Dolphin icon...tap it to install.

You get Flash here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1771463

Posted on Jan 1, 2013 11:13:26 AM PST
Steve says:
Waaayyy too much trouble for those who do not wish to surrender completely to total geekdom. There should just be a goddamn app for it, as there is for the iPad.

Posted on Jan 5, 2013 3:29:46 PM PST
lauriegd says:
I have Charter, which works only with ESPN3, not all of the ESPN channels. It works fine on my PC but I have spent all afternoon trying to get it to work on my ipad and/or kindle fire. No luck with either one. IPAD wants me to access only through Watch ESPN app which does not recognize Charter as provider. I installed Dolphin and Flash for Kindle Fire but when I go to the web site, it keeps telling me to download Flash again. This is EXTREMELY frustrating. If anyone has any other ideas, I would appreciate any advice.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 5, 2013 9:15:01 PM PST
Mr. Lee says:
I also was very frustrated trying to watch ESPN3 on my Kindle Fire HD. There is now a "Watch ESPN" app that will work on the Kindle Fire HD. I downloaded it and it works great, but there are only a select number of Internet providers with which it will work. I have Cox Communications and it works with Cox. Previously, I had downloaded Dolphin Browser and set it to 'desktop' operation, ES File Browser and Flash Player. I would then bring up the webpage that I used on my PC to 'Watch ESPN' and it worked fine. Like you I initially had problems with the Flash Player but there was a good post from Meya who told me exactly how to do it. You may want to review this post and follow its recommendation.

Posted on Nov 3, 2012 11:14:19 AM PDT

Meya says:

You need to install the Dolphin Browser, then you can run Flash under it. Here's the directions:

To install Flash: (You have to have a Flash compatible browser in order to install Flash. You can't install it under Silk.)

Do the following on the Fire HD itself:

Swipe down from the top > More > Device > Allow Installation of Applications.

Install ES File Explorer: ES File Explorer

Install Dolpin (browser). The most current version of Dolphin won't work. You need the 8.5.1 version.
You get Dolphin here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1787595

The file downloads. You'll get a Notification that it did.

Launch ES File Explorer, and look in the Downloads folder. You'll see the Dolphin icon...tap it to install.

You get Flash here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1771463

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 22, 2013 4:21:50 AM PST
Can any US citezens help an avid American sports in fan United Kingdom obtain watch ESPN I'm a huge 49ers fan can't wait for the superbowl plz reply thanks Alex !

Posted on Jan 22, 2013 6:22:05 PM PST
Mary McManus says:
Alex, Watch ESPN is only available to those who have certain cable providers. I am in the US and can't get it because I have satellite service with Directv. However, the superbowl will be on CBS. My iPad has an app called CBS Sports and it plays just about any sporting event which is being shown on CBS. Do you have an iPad? For those with a Kindle Fire, check the Android app stores for CBS Sports in case there is a version available. You may be able to watch the superbowl on your computer as well. Go Niners!

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 22, 2013 9:21:27 PM PST
Hi Mary thanks for your help and infomation I have a UK sports cable provider so I won't miss superbowl but I'll have a look on amazon for a CBS app hopefully they'll have one for Kindle thanks again Mary GO NINERS!

Posted on Nov 12, 2013 5:35:16 PM PST
Watch ESPN won't work on my Kindle Fire HD. App loads and goes to a still shot representing the game I want. The loading icon spins but the feed never starts.
Frank in Syracuse

Posted on Apr 27, 2014 3:56:11 PM PDT
Maybe the best solution is to return my Kindle Fire and buy another ROKU? Watch ESPN app via Charter works fine with that device.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
News: Kindle for iOS Software Update 4.6
0 6 days ago
Announcement
Simon & Schuster Agreement
0 Oct 20, 2014
Announcement
Have a Kindle Question?
0 Sep 12, 2012
Why don't kindle books start in the Cover? 129 2 minutes ago
Amazon Cart Broken In Chrome 0 2 minutes ago
FREE Books & Chat (FB&C) Sat-Mon, 20-22 December 2014 82 12 minutes ago
Classic Words Solo 253 13 minutes ago
Fire HDX 7 Update - 4.1.1 1311 15 minutes ago
My kindle won't turn on 1972 23 minutes ago
I think it's time... 30 27 minutes ago
Freebie Books - Links Only - No Self Promotion III 7336 28 minutes ago
Anyone know how to take off back of Kindle HDX 3rd Gen to replace battery? 5 31 minutes ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  13
Total posts:  21
Initial post:  Nov 3, 2012
Latest post:  Apr 27, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 7 customers

Search Customer Discussions