Professional restaurant supplies BDD_MSW16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Made in Italy Amazon Gift Card Offer out2 out2 out2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors Kindle Paperwhite Shop Now SnS
Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

Scholastic Storia app

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 61 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 2, 2012 8:00:22 PM PDT
Scholastic has a new ereader app which can be linked to school teachers and students. Why can't I get this for the kindle fire? It's only available for google android market devices.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 2, 2012 8:01:37 PM PDT
CLS10 says:
Scholastic has to submit it to the amazon app store.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 2, 2012 9:30:16 PM PDT
R. Nelson says:
Sonia - I haven't checked, but I know what app you are talking about, it might work just fine if installed direct from scholastic site. You have to set the Fire to allow installation of applications in the device settings. You can set it to allow, install and then turn off again.

Let us know how it goes.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 7, 2012 12:00:58 PM PDT
I tried to do that and it downloads, but then it says that it cannot open the file. I even tried to load it as an android device, but it wouldn't let me.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 7, 2012 12:53:34 PM PDT
R. Nelson says:
Autumn - I'll try taking a look at the app in next few days.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 8, 2012 8:35:45 AM PDT
R. Nelson says:
Autumn - I did look at the FAQ for the product and it says "You can also use Storia on the following Android Tablets running operating systems Honeycomb 3.0+ and Ice Cream Sandwich 4.0+: *Samsung Galaxy 10" screen, *Asus EEE Transformer 10" screen, *Motorola Xoom 10" screen"

I don't know if you tried on the Original Fire, which was running a 2.x version of Android or on the newer Fires, which do use a 4.x version. I don't have my new Fire yet, as I ordered the larger screen, so I won't have in my hands until late November at earliest to test. They did list all 10" screens on the devices they tested, so maybe they have coded it as such. But with so many devices out that run a version of android they won't likely test for them all. Could also send feedback to scholastic asking them to look into supporting the Fire. Seems like it would be benefical to them being able to sell more of their books for use in the app.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 8, 2012 8:52:08 AM PDT
Jazzy_Jeff says:
Correct it is only available for select tablets at the moment. I just tried to get it with my Toshiba Thrive and it is not available.

Posted on Oct 18, 2012 7:05:06 PM PDT
Will eStoria run on the new Paper white Kindle?

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 18, 2012 7:08:53 PM PDT
 Ann says:
No, the Paperwhite cannot run Android apps.

Posted on Nov 15, 2012 7:51:59 AM PST
Britster18 says:
Any updates to this??

Posted on Nov 29, 2012 10:33:39 PM PST
http://scholastic.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5025/kw/kindle/session/L3RpbWUvMTM1NDI1Njk4MS9zaWQvM3BqbWp5Y2w%3D

As of 11/11/2012 Scholastic says no.

Posted on Dec 1, 2012 9:33:31 AM PST
C L L says:
Any hope of Scholastic submitting an app that will work on the Kindle Fire. I just purchased 3 of these for my children.

Posted on Dec 3, 2012 6:14:09 AM PST
TeamV says:
I purchased Kindle Fire for my kids, but I REALLY want this app on there!!! They use my iPad to use Storia right now. It would be nice since they are getting their own devise to be able to stop "borrowing" mine! I hope Scholastic and Amazon can get together to fix this.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 3, 2012 1:32:52 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 3, 2012 1:38:52 PM PST
P Momma says:
Just found out my daughter's grandmother bought her a Kindle Fire Hd. We haven't received it yet but I was wondering if you were able to try when you received yours (that is if you received it yet...) Thank you!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 3, 2012 1:38:57 PM PST
R. Nelson says:
I tried looking into it this morning. Put it said I needed to sign into google play to download the app. I steer away from google products, so I don't have a google account to download onto my 8.9" device to see if it will work on the larger device.

I will get a friend with a google account to download for me so I can test on the larger screen.

Posted on Dec 3, 2012 1:53:29 PM PST
If you have another android device like a phone, it might be very easy to sideload the Storia app onto the Kindle Fire. A great article about sideloading apps from Google Play on the Kindle Fire might be of interest:

http://androidcowboy.com/2012/01/how-to-sideload-apps-on-kindle-fire/

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 3, 2012 2:48:35 PM PST
R. Nelson says:
No, we only use Windows Phones. I know how to load it once I get the file, I just thought you use to be be able to download direct from Scholastics without going to google app store.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 3, 2012 6:46:57 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 3, 2012 6:48:21 PM PST
P Momma says:
Any information you can provide would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for responding!

Posted on Dec 4, 2012 9:42:17 AM PST
Carrie Kelly says:
This app could be sideloaded but the first version of kindle fire is not running the correct version of android to support the app. Amazon probably will not offer this app because it would take away from their sales of kid's books. The same reason the nook app and google play are not available.....

Posted on Dec 4, 2012 6:39:10 PM PST
R. Nelson says:
OK....after forever messing around with finding the APK file for this app. As even with my friends google account it wouldn't allow the app to be download.

I ended up finding it here: http://goodereader.com/apps/android-apps/e-reader-apps/?did=3505

I was able to download and install it using the ES File Explorer on the my 8.9" Fire HD. It was being really picky about setting up the account and a shelf. But I think it may have just been taking forever to talk back and forth with Scholastic site for the new Storia account. I do have an account for book orders, so it wasn't a fully new account.

So it will work on the 8.9" Fire.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 4, 2012 8:06:36 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 4, 2012 8:07:37 PM PST
P Momma says:
Ok, thanks for cking and sharing your findings. Once we get it, I will give it a try, although hopefully Scholastic will eventually make it more accessible. I looked into children's books on amazon, barnes n noble, public library; the assortment of children's books for tweens is very limited. Only scholastic seems to have a great variety; plus these are books I know my child reads. Unless does anyone else have any suggestions of websites to try? Looking for age 10 and up....

Posted on Dec 4, 2012 8:41:30 PM PST
R. Nelson says:
P Momma - You really have haven't been happy with the tween books available on the Kindle? For 10 and up I think you should find plenty, we have had plenty of luck finding books. I could see younger, those are still coming along.

Not sure what types of books they are interested in but I'm sure with some information plenty can be suggested.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 5, 2012 6:54:11 AM PST
Thank you!! I tried downloading the app after a book fair in October and was disappointed when I couldnt - I havent tried again since. I will try again when I get off work

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 5, 2012 8:26:53 AM PST
R. Nelson says:
Laura - I didn't try this on the new 7" Fire HD, it could be a screen size issue since I used the 8.9" to test. The official tablets they support are larger screen sizes.

Posted on Dec 5, 2012 8:36:26 AM PST
I have an original - that is what I tried it on in October - but I also have an 8.9. I will try it on both
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
Critical Software Update for Kindle E-Readers
0 Mar 23, 2016
Announcement
Welcome to the Kindle Discussion Forum - A Congregation of Kindle Enthusiasts
0 Mar 20, 2015
85° and Sunny - A Perfect Day to RAOK! 4359 46 seconds ago
FREE Books & Chat - April 2016 924 1 minute ago
Emailing invoice from Kindle 1 1 minute ago
Kindle / Audible Recommendations and Deals (KARD) 3131 2 minutes ago
"Critical Software Update for Kindle E-Readers" breaks STORE page on Gen 5 FireHD 8 5 2 minutes ago
Suddenly Deregistered Kindle without my knowlege 214 8 minutes ago
Freebie Books - Links Only - No Self Promotion IV 7243 8 minutes ago
April Informal Poll--What are you reading? 198 10 minutes ago
Discounted / Price Dropped Kindle eBooks III 9047 16 minutes ago
my kindle fire wont turn on or charge 179 16 minutes ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  30
Total posts:  61
Initial post:  Oct 2, 2012
Latest post:  Oct 5, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 12 customers

Search Customer Discussions