Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Songs of Summer Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors
Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

kindle audio

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-24 of 24 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 5, 2012 1:42:43 PM PST
Lannie Reads says:
How do the audio books work on Kindle. Does it work on all of them. My kindle is about 2 years old, but I don't understand if or how it would read to me.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 5, 2012 2:00:07 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 5, 2012 2:00:37 PM PST
There are three separate types of audio books, so I'm going to give you three answers. Pick the one that fits best.

The Kindle Keyboard and Kindle Touch have a feature called "Text-to-speech" which allows them to read some books aloud. The publisher has to allow it, so not all books can be read this way. It's also a computerized voice, so some people don't like the way it sounds or find it hard to understand. You can turn this on by opening the book and, on the Touch bring up the menu and select "Turn on Text-to-speech", or on the Keyboard click the Aa button and select Text to Speech.

The Kindle Keyboard, Kindle Touch and Kindle Fire can play Audible audio books. To play an Audible book on the Touch or the Keyboard, go to Audible, link your Audible and Amazon accounts, and you will then be able to download Audible books from your Archives over WiFi. On the Fire, open the Audible app, log in to your Audible account, and download directly from your Audible library.

Finally, the Touch, Keyboard and Fire can all play MP3 files. You can download some audio books as MP3 files, copy them to the Music directory on your Touch, Keyboard or Fire, and play them using the MP3 Player.

I hope I answered your question. If not, please tell me what you want to know and I'll try again.

Posted on Mar 5, 2012 2:02:38 PM PST
Artist says:
If you Kindle is 2 years old, it might be the K2, which does have the text to speech function. Open a book, click the Aa button, and if the book is enabled for TTS, you just have to turn it on.

The K2 also plays audio books. You have to download them to your computer (using the Audible Manager if they're books from audible.com), then move them to your Kindle via the usb cord. You move all audio books into the Audible folder on your Kindle.

Just as with other Kindles, audio books from sources other than audible.com need to be in MP3 format.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 5, 2012 2:20:45 PM PST
Q says:
Lannie,
The Kindle Keyboard (K3), the Kindle Touch, the DX and the Kindle Fire all play audiobooks, but not the Kindle Basic ($79) as it has no speakers or headphone jack.

My son has a K2, which what it sounds like you have, but I don't have it in front of me. I do have a DX here, which runs on the same OS as the K2.

When you plug it into a computer, you can see it has a folder called "Audible". If you put an MP3 audible book in that folder, when you unplug it & turn on the K2, in your book list, you should see its title with the word "audio" next to it (or something similar.)

I just did this on my DX and it worked fine.

Give it a try and see!

Posted on Mar 5, 2012 2:47:50 PM PST
Lannie Reads says:
Thank all you kind folks for of this helpful info. I am one of the "older" kindle users and considerably challenged by technology. I'm not sure I have the necessary cord or how to plug this kindle into my computer. Do I need to buy a USB cord specifically for the kindle? I'm also embarrassed to be asking all these dumb questions! But I will keep on stumbling around until I learn to do this. I am an avid reader with deteriorating vision, so very interested in the audio capability.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 5, 2012 2:51:15 PM PST
You haven't said what model Kindle you have. If you have the Fire, you will need a USB cord - specifically, USB to Micro-USB. It isn't a special cord - anyplace that sells cell phones will have them. AmazonBasics USB Cable - 2.0 A Male to Micro B (6 Feet / 1.8 Meters) is one example, but you don't have to buy it from Amazon.

If you have one of the other Kindles, the white cord that comes with them is what you need.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 5, 2012 2:54:33 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 5, 2012 2:58:47 PM PST
Q says:
Lannie,
The Kindle you have should have come with a white charging cable. The cable actually unplugs from the part that plugs in the wall. This leaves you with a micro-USB cable that can plug the Kindle into a computer.

If navigating a file manager under Windows is confusing or more than you want to know, then the best may be to buy Audible books directly from your Kindle, if that is even possible.

If you are okay with Windows Explorer or your computer's file manager, then you would download a book for Audible.com or some other source for audio books, and copy it from your hard disk over to your Kindle's "Audible" folder.

Many public libraries have free audiobooks for checkout. And some very helpful people to assist you in getting an audiobook onto your Kindle. I see them helping people all of the time.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 5, 2012 2:56:50 PM PST
Q says:
Hi Bruce,
She can't have the Fire if her Kindle is 2 years old, as she reports. The date would suggest she has the K2.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 5, 2012 2:57:43 PM PST
Yep, missed that. I didn't go back there when I answered the second question. Thanks.

Posted on Mar 5, 2012 3:25:52 PM PST
Lannie Reads says:
This is a great start! I learned I already have the cord. Didn't realize it had the usb plug on the electrical end! Thank you! I have to go one step at a time here. I'm relatively sure mine is the Kindle 2. I bought it just before the clearance price drop, of course! It does have the text to speech "turn on". So many thanks to you all. I will likely be back here with more questions. I am making the assumption here that I can't just turn it on and have the books I already have become audio, but will have to actually download an audio book from somewhere. Is that correct?

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 5, 2012 3:28:07 PM PST
Text-to-speech works with existing books, where it is enabled. It reads from the text and converts it to a rather computer-sounding voice. Open a book and give it a try.

Audio books can be downloaded via USB as Q explained, and will sound much better - an actual person (or people) will be reading the book to you.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 5, 2012 4:17:54 PM PST
Q says:
Lannie,
Some of Amazon's ebooks have Text-to-Speech (TTS) as and added feature (but not all. It depends on the publisher's permission.)

The sound is okay, though robotic since it is the computer software reading. I use it frequently on my Kindle 3.

To see if your book has TTS, open a Kindle book and press the Aa key to pull up that menu. There you will see "Text-to-Speech" and a choice to "Turn on".

To adjust the speed of reading and male/female voice, press Aa again.

Here is a YouTube K2 TTS demonstration how-to:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FgxSR72TWrY

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 5, 2012 6:21:38 PM PST
Lannie Reads says:
Thank you! I'll try it. Is there a volume control anywhere? Any special way to make it "start" reading?

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 5, 2012 6:29:10 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 5, 2012 6:30:00 PM PST
Q says:
This article answers your question about the volume switch:

http://www.ehow.com/how_5197706_use-__-_read-out-loud.html

"the volume control is a bar located on the upper right hand OUTSIDE edge. Pressing the top of the bar (there is a very small + sign) will increase the volume."

Posted on Mar 5, 2012 6:35:51 PM PST
Jami says:
You can hit the up arrow and SYM key to toggle on and off the TTS function. I LOVE the TTS and use it every day when driving to and from work. :)

I am not a big fan of the audible books on the K2 - I used to listen to Books on CD from the library all the time before I got my Kindle. I have really goten used to listening to the TTS - and I like that I can glance at the screen and "read" something if I missed something. With the Audio Books, you can not see the text on the page and I happen to really like that. A lot of people do not like the "computer" voice but I have gotten so used to it...it does not faze me.

You do have a volume control - on the K2 I think it is on the side. I had to smile at your post...I bought my K2 right before the price drop too, but never regretted it. Then I bought a KK then a Fire and they have all been used more than any other device I have ever invested in!

Enjoy.

Posted on Mar 5, 2012 6:48:51 PM PST
Lannie Reads says:
I love my Kindle even more since learning all this and no, never regretted the cost:-). Worth every penny. I thank you all. I am sure this thread will help more than one "techie" granny!!!

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 5, 2012 6:51:06 PM PST
Artist says:
I forgot to mention that I also bought my K2 three months before the price drop. I had three months of blissful reading during that time, so I wasn't upset at the price drop either.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 15, 2013 7:30:44 AM PST
I bought a Kindle expressly for the audio feature. I was disappointed because I expected it to sound like James Earl Jones. It sounds more like Stephen Hawking, and in fact probably worse because it
does not recognize normal words.
Unfortunately, not returnable after 30 days.
Leila Schueler, MD

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 15, 2013 7:34:30 AM PST
Dog Lover says:
That is the funniest thing I've ever read on this forum!

Do you read the descriptions of medicines with the same thoroughness that you read the product descriptions on Amazon?

Too funny!

DL

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 15, 2013 7:57:09 AM PST
T. Cannon says:
Sadly she probably does meaning her patients are in trouble. Anyone who signs a forum post for a reading device with their academic degree is, well a little stuffy and arogant for my taste.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 15, 2013 8:00:00 AM PST
I hope "MD" means she's in Maryland, not that she's a medical doctor. I really, really, really hope that's what it means.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 15, 2013 8:10:09 AM PST
T. Cannon says:
Well her profile says that she is in Boston, MA and she uses her real name and, well along with the MD you can google and learn quite a bit about her. Starting to make me glad that I only use my first initial.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 15, 2013 8:13:56 AM PST
We're doomed. Truly doomed.

Supposed readers, and ones who hold advanced degrees at that, who cannot or will not read. :-(

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 15, 2013 8:15:47 AM PST
Dog Lover says:
I agree,

DL,

BS,MBA,TSTL
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
Critical Software Update for Kindle E-Readers
0 Mar 23, 2016
Announcement
Welcome to the Kindle Discussion Forum - A Congregation of Kindle Enthusiasts
0 Mar 20, 2015
We're Quirky And We Know It! Come Witness The Howling Dink, Hussy Turkey Hens, And A Veritable Plethora Of Other Beasts! So Geese! 1686 3 minutes ago
It's After Midnight and I Just Opened a Bottle of Wine 5619 8 minutes ago
Discounted / Price Dropped Kindle eBooks III 9546 13 minutes ago
Kindle Fire HD - ethernet adaptor 154 14 minutes ago
June Informal Poll -- What are you reading? 197 14 minutes ago
85° and Sunny - A Perfect Day to RAOK! 9702 16 minutes ago
Amazon Fire 7" tablet questions 8 36 minutes ago
Elephants Three at The Ģrandest Hotel - Part IV 4739 39 minutes ago
Factory Resetting Kindle Fire 103 39 minutes ago
KINDLE KITCHEN #5: Home of Family, Friends and Good Food 8693 42 minutes ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  9
Total posts:  24
Initial post:  Mar 5, 2012
Latest post:  Jan 15, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions