Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

Camping Mysteries

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 41 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 28, 2012 10:48:35 PM PST
B. Hartman says:
I was a voracious reader in grade school. Still am. After I went through the "mystery" section, in the school library, my PTA advisor suggested I read sports books. Her kids were captains on the sports teams. I said I liked mysteries and a new box just came in. She convinced my teacher that I needed to diversify my reading and I read hockey and baseball books for the rest of the year. I always eyed the new mystery box while learning about Babe Ruth.

Flash to today. With Kindle, I'm able to read lots of previously unavailable very old, out of print mystery books. Why, as an adult would I want to? They comfort me.

With all the shill going on today, they comfort me, and I want to share some stories with my boys. Here's the thing, I'll never know what was in the box in 1972--there were new and old books in there. But, I can do this. Through the miracle of Kindle and the forum, I can ask you to suggest a mystery book you liked. I especially like the ones involving camping and cabins, as self-sufficiency used to be a big part of childrens' books, and I want my son to read some before we camp this summer.

By no means is that a limit, though. What were your favorite series books, or individual books as a child?
What were your favorite camping books? I'd really like to know.

Posted on Nov 29, 2012 12:41:25 AM PST
B. Hartman says:
No one?

Posted on Nov 29, 2012 2:24:29 AM PST
bookcrazy says:
It almost goes without saying-----Nancy Drew and the Hardy boys!

Would it bring you comfort if I told you that there were really no mysteries in that long-ago box? They were really sports-related books with mystery jackets on them as part of a ploy designed to torture you for the rest of your life? :)

Posted on Nov 29, 2012 2:32:59 AM PST
B. Hartman says:
Yeah, it would. Thanks for the reply.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2012 4:35:40 AM PST
Sarida says:
The first thing I thought of was "The Happy Hollisters." Would that be the series? I was in a book of the month club, and I got one of those a month and LOVED them. I grew up camping - we went at least once a month and those books went with me.

Posted on Nov 29, 2012 6:38:57 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 29, 2012 6:39:33 AM PST
Anastassia says:
Series books : I loved Nancy Drew, Cherry Ames (a nurse), The Five Little Peppers, Little House on the Prairie, and The Bobbsey Twins. (I'm sure there are more - I have to reach way back to my childhood years and try to remember.)

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2012 6:41:43 AM PST
Trixie Belden, Ginny Gordon, Donna Parker, Connie Blair, Nancy Drew, Dana Girls........

Posted on Nov 29, 2012 6:51:06 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 29, 2012 7:02:30 AM PST
Susan says:
Does anyone remember the SRA (?) program? I loved to read and went through a lot of books in elementary school, late 60's, early seventies. lots of Nancy Drew, Hardy Boys and the famous American books.
I found a nice website that may jog some memories -
http://www.best-childrens-books.com/best-selling-childrens-books.html

edited to fix typo.

Posted on Nov 29, 2012 6:56:54 AM PST
K. Rowley says:
For those of you who liked the Nancy Drew series.. another one by the same author...

The Penny Parker Megapack: 15 Complete Novels

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2012 7:07:55 AM PST
Boxcar Children?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2012 7:30:51 AM PST
Just Peachy says:
I enjoyed the Little House books by Laura Ingalls Wilder. Read them a few years before the TV show started. They aren't mysteries but I still love them.

Have you read My Side of the Mountain Trilogy (My Side of the Mountain / On the Far Side of the Mountain / Frightful's Mountain) ?
Doesn't seem to be available on Kindle but it is a great set of books? I liked the first one the most. Read them to my son when he was about 9 years old. We both enjoyed them.

Posted on Nov 29, 2012 7:39:42 AM PST
Marmer says:
Never really liked Nancy but I loved Trixie Belden! Plus Anne of Green Gables, Cherry Ames and Little House on the Prairie.

Posted on Nov 29, 2012 1:58:12 PM PST
B. Hartman says:
To all who replied, Thank You. To Sarida and Ingrid:
Yes and I like them, thank you.

To M. Francis, you've been around since the beginning. You know I know of these series. Thank you for reminding me. We corresponded about childens book series about 4 years ago.

Posted on Nov 29, 2012 2:01:56 PM PST
B. Hartman says:
To M
I can't believe it's been that long. If I remember, I sent you a link for the campfire girls series. I haven't seen you on here for a while, how are you?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2012 2:04:04 PM PST
I'm ok, I guess. How about yourself?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2012 2:07:55 PM PST
B. Hartman says:
The SRA program with the paperbacks in boxes? I remember it well and also read all the books. Go up to teacher and tell her you finished. She'd quiz you and then give you the next one. That SRA?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2012 2:10:51 PM PST
B. Hartman says:
Very well, thanks. I remember chatting with you in the early days; it's nice to do so again.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2012 2:18:21 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 29, 2012 2:30:37 PM PST
B. Hartman says:
I'm a member of the Laura Ingalls Wilder Memorial Society (they're in in De Smet.)
I will try your links, thank you. I'm sure you've read The Long, Hard Winter of 1880-81: What was it really like?. It's a good history of the book.

ETA "Memorial"

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2012 2:19:38 PM PST
Just Peachy says:
Actually I've never read that book. Will put it on my list.
A few years ago I got to visit Laura's home in Missouri. Wonderful trip.

Posted on Nov 29, 2012 2:21:28 PM PST
B. Hartman says:
To K. and Folina, thank you! Yes I've read them.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2012 2:24:40 PM PST
B. Hartman says:
To Marmer, Thanks. Never heard of Trixie Belden. I'll check it out.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2012 2:27:32 PM PST
B. Hartman says:
I am jealous. A wonderful tour, I'd imagine. What were your favorite things?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2012 2:40:23 PM PST
The ones I love are the first six, written by Julie Campbell. Once someone else took over, they weren't any good IMO. And 5 of the first six are Kindles.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2012 2:45:28 PM PST
Just Peachy says:
Seeing the house was great. It is much smaller than I thought. I had seen pictures of the inside but you really have to be there to see how low the ceilings are and how small the rooms are. Everything is like she left it when she died in 1957. She designed the house and they did much of the original work themselves. It is beautiful country there.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2012 3:28:42 PM PST
Susan says:
Yes! you have a much better memory than me. :)
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  16
Total posts:  41
Initial post:  Nov 28, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 30, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions