Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

Nook app for Kindle Fire?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 121 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 1, 2011 12:32:21 PM PDT
Terry Caig says:
I have several books on my Nook but really like the look of the Kindle Fire. Does anyone know if the Fire will have a Nook app so I could access all my Nook books too?

Posted on Oct 1, 2011 12:39:14 PM PDT
I doubt it unless you hack the Fire. Barnes and Noble also doesn't have a way to read their ebooks thru a web browser either.
If you like the Fire, I would sell your Nook and use some of the money to rebuy the nooks for Kindle.

Posted on Oct 1, 2011 12:45:53 PM PDT
At the introduction, an Amazon exec told a reporter that they "would be willing to have that discussion" with B&N about adding the Nook app, but I doubt very much that it's going to be a high-priority item.

Reference: http://www.suntimes.com/technology/ihnatko/7929634-452/amazon-kindle-fire-explodes-onto-tablet-scene.html

Posted on Oct 11, 2011 12:24:04 PM PDT
casey head says:
A better solution is to buy an android tablet and install both the Nook and Kindle applications.

Posted on Oct 11, 2011 12:42:04 PM PDT
Saltraker says:
Ditch the Nook. Fire is going to blow it out of the water.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 11, 2011 6:49:48 PM PDT
You can read your nookbooks on any number of devices, including a PC. You can read them on your ipad (my sister does), your ipod (my daughter does), your computer, or your nook! All you need is to download the free nook-app. I am VERY interested in the Fire for my daughter (I have the NookColor :) But it needs the capability of reading the nookbooks, as we have a ton! I think that Amazon is smart enough to see this as an advantage for them, should they choose to ensure the compatibility of all ebooks from all sources, to sway B&N customers their way (we already have Prime and shop with Amazon ALL the time, but the NookColor was the better device for me last year when it came out).

Posted on Nov 4, 2011 6:40:19 PM PDT
Doc says:
I have a rooted Nook Color where I can read my Kindle books also. I also buy 99% of my eBooks from B&N. There are only 3 eBooks in my Amazon Kindle account. I have also pre-ordered a Fire. If they make the Nook app available I will sell my Nook and buy more Amazon stuff.

Are you reading this Marketing? Product Managers, this is a feature that will switch more people to Kindle and thus buy more Amazon stuff.

Posted on Nov 4, 2011 6:44:10 PM PDT
C. S. Jones says:
You do realize that B&N would have to submit their app to the Amazon app store. Kobo already has their app there.

Posted on Nov 15, 2011 10:27:24 PM PST
Sheltie Mom says:
Just found these step-by-step instructions for adding the Nook app to the Kindle Fire. Check it out!
http://www.businessinsider.com/android-kindle-fire-apps-2011-11?op=1
I'm still waiting to receive my Kindle Fire, so I haven't been able to try it yet, but it looks pretty easy.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2011 5:45:49 PM PST
Beelissa says:
I had read and heard that this would work, as well, from several sources, each of which mentioned the getjar website. But I can't get it to work on my new Kindle Fire. It won't let me go to the getjar mobile site, or if it does, when I put in the code it hangs. I think Amazon is blocking it. Anyone know of a work-around?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 21, 2011 5:01:58 PM PST
Data says:
I was just able to put the nook app using this method- I couldn't find the apps even though it said it was downloaded- come to find out you have to click on the notification bar on the top and install it from there. Worked perfectly- now- it's my first "Nook" app and I never used their ebooks before- so how in the heck can I get ebooks- it opens up just fine, but I cant download any ebooks... any help? :)

Posted on Nov 21, 2011 7:21:48 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 21, 2011 7:38:45 PM PST
I downloaded my Nook app from here...
http://androiddev.orkitra.com/download/apps/?appid=4326194365634038438

I was able to download the app from my KF, but I have also download to PC and Sideloaded it. In either case I still had to install it.

I just signed up for a B&N account and logged into it through my KF. I downloaded a free sample of Stephen King lastest book using the Nook app on the KF. The book cover and jacket had display issues, so I downloaded the sample sample from Amazon. I noticed the cover and jacket details shrank to fit the screen. Ignoring this glitch, I went to the text of the B&N version of the Sample. The text was find and could be read with no issues.

Posted on Nov 21, 2011 7:38:04 PM PST
saraf says:
I had the nook app on my fire 10 minutes out of the box. No rooting. Followed instructions I found here to install GetJar then the Nook app. Worked great.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 21, 2011 7:46:18 PM PST
Malachi says:
Do you have a B&N account? You might want to start there.

Posted on Nov 21, 2011 7:51:05 PM PST
G. Rascon says:
the nook app is available at Getjar.com

Posted on Nov 21, 2011 7:57:30 PM PST
J. Williams says:
It's easy to sideload. Just go to getjar.com on the Kindle and download it. I don't have many books on B&N since I've always purchased from Amazon but I tried it out just to see how well it worked. It's actually smoother and not laggy like the Kindle app on the Fire and Nook has actual 3D page turns versus the simple laggy sliding pages that Amazon is currently using. I hope the Kindle app gets a good update soon!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 21, 2011 9:25:40 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 21, 2011 9:26:19 PM PST
Data says:
Yep- I made an account and all is well. But- is there a way I can uplaod books to the nook library instead of buying them or getting them from BN- ones that I already have on my PC?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 21, 2011 9:47:31 PM PST
@Data,
Try looking for the NOOK folder on your KF. Once you find that folder, look for the Content folder. I found my downloaded book there. Try sideloading books to that folder.

I will add, when I Clicked on my book in that folder Overdrive opens. Overdrive did not have the book jacket issues the NOOk app did.

Posted on Nov 22, 2011 11:31:27 AM PST
Data says:
@Joseph
Thanks for the info- I found the Nook folder and the content folder with my downloaded books. I side-loaded a epub book from my pc into it, and when I go into the nook it doesn't show up. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Posted on Nov 22, 2011 11:57:30 AM PST
@Data,

Do you have a program like AndroXplorer, ES File Explorer or File Manager on your KF. Those 3 are free. They will let you access the folder structure from within your Kindle Fire. Try navigating to the Content Folder that way and click on the epub book. I have a couple of epub versions of books at home, but nothing bought through B&N with their DRM. Let me see what I can figure out when I get home this evening.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 22, 2011 12:15:48 PM PST
Data says:
I think I figured it out- I had to put them in the my documents folder and then I had to make sure I was online and sync my library- I can now see it in the documents link on the nook app. It wont show up if I put it in the other folder- but at least I can see it now- thanks you so much!

Posted on Nov 22, 2011 12:19:49 PM PST
Glad you found a method that worked. Mysome of my non kindle e-books end up in the book folder and other in the Document folder. I noted the Content folder since that is the location the Nook stored the e-book I downloaded through the app.

Posted on Nov 22, 2011 8:39:09 PM PST
Beelissa says:
I have a question for those of you who had no trouble getting the Nook app from GetJar.com: when did you install it? I got my Kindle Fire on Saturday Nov. 19. I tried two or three times to get this app. I followed the directions at one of the web sites that explained it, And it didn't work. GetJar wouldn't go to the mobile version, even when I typed in the "m." or it hung when I was clicked on download. Each time if was a different problem but none resulted in it working for me. So I wondered if maybe Amazon or GetJar had blocked it somehow, and it only worked for those who got their Kindle earlier in the week?

I don't have any nook books, but I do have some ePUBs and I also have a sizable B&N gift card, and my brother is a big B&N gift-card giver, so I'll probably get more. Plus I just want to do it, just so I can say I did it. :-)

Thanks for your help! :-)

Posted on Nov 23, 2011 9:04:20 AM PST
Data says:
@Beelissa, I put it on through GetJar on Monday- the 21st. It took a few trys- what I was doing wrong was it was telling me to go to this web page on the device and click "Quick download" at the bottom of the page. Once I did that it said downloading- then, at the top of the fire is a line- clicked on that and the getjar app was there waitign to be downloaded. Also- try changing your device to kobo or something like that. I heard that it works that way too. If you do it right you should get this message:

To download to your phone:
1) go to m.getjar.com on your phone
2) Select Quick Download at the bottom of the page
3) Enter 16914

Posted on Nov 23, 2011 12:27:06 PM PST
Beelissa says:
I finally got it to work. There are two things that were unclear to me. I'm going to explain them in case there are others who want to know:
1. As others have said, you have to download the GetJar app first. But it's not clear how to do it. I think I finally searched for it. It has a picture that looks like the G in the GetJar logo at the top of the page. Then, as Data has said above, it tells you to go to m.getjar.com "on your phone" which, of course, means on the Kindle. But I was having problems with this, too. See below.

2. In my kindle (and yours too if you haven't messed around with the browser settings) the browser is set to decide for each website whether to use the "desktop" version or the mobile version. These settings have worked okay for me except in this instance. So I temporarily changed them to force it to go to the "Mobile" version (click on the menu icon at the bottom of the browser, and then on "settings" in the little menu that comes up -- this is where you can change settings for the browser itself. Scroll down under "Advanced" and click on the little arrow next to "Desktop or mobile view" and set it to "Mobile." Then try going to m.getjar.com. Before I did this, everytime I went to their mobile site, it automatically switched it to the non-mobile site which doesn't have the QuickDownload link on it.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
NEWS: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Generation Software Update 5.4.5
21 2 hours ago
Announcement
NEWS: New Update for Kindle Reading Apps on Android and iOS
115 1 hour ago
Announcement
Hachette/Amazon Business Interruption
0 May 27, 2014
Announcement
Have a Kindle Question?
0 Sep 12, 2012
It's After Midnight and I Just Opened a Bottle of Wine 129 31 seconds ago
We're an International Quirky Bunch! Put on Your Chiffon and Taffeta, Sashay In, Pet a Midnight Goat, Cat or Dog, Crack Open Your Stelvin Closures and Say "Hi" to Cherie! 405 1 minute ago
The offer of $ 9.99/ month, 9 1 minute ago
Kindle Unlimited 0 7 minutes ago
magazine subscriptions transfer to Kindle Fire HDX 1 10 minutes ago
Filtering out self-published books 362 12 minutes ago
Email transfers to Kindle HDX 1 12 minutes ago
blue screen 3 17 minutes ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  56
Total posts:  121
Initial post:  Oct 1, 2011
Latest post:  Nov 28, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 14 customers

Search Customer Discussions