Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

How to disable purchase from Kindle Fire?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 254 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 23, 2011 9:49:58 AM PST
X. LI says:
I have 2 Kindle Fires (registered under my name) for my children. Now they mistakenly bought some apps from amazon's appstore. I tried to disable 1-click purchase and hoped that can stop purchasing wrong items but apparently it does not work well.

Is it possible that I can totally disable purchases from Kindle Fire? I'd like all purchases/orders can be placed from amazon's website using my computer or my other android tablet (not Kindle Fire) ONLY after I correctly input my password (which currently only I know).

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 23, 2011 9:54:16 AM PST
~nospin says:
The only sure way currently is to remove your credit card from your account.

For the apps ordered in error, contact customer service for a refund.

Posted on Nov 23, 2011 10:25:21 AM PST
X. LI says:
Hi Nospin,

Thanks for the reply.

I hope there's a better way.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 23, 2011 10:43:17 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 23, 2011 10:45:40 AM PST
~nospin says:
I believe they are working on it.

For more information, do a search on the forum for Parental Control.

ETA: Apparently now you can go to your Manage Your Kindle page, and through there click to disable 1 click purchasing.

Posted on Nov 23, 2011 10:50:00 AM PST
Eric J. says:
Happy to help you with this. I have done this on mine. Go to the amazon box app, then go to your account. I believe you will see something that says one click settings. and then select to turn it off. Hope this helps!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 24, 2011 9:32:11 AM PST
X. LI says:
Can you post the url? I went to
http://www.amazon.com/gp/digital/fiona/manage/ref=sv_kinc_8

but only got a list of my books. I didn't see link to disable 1-click at the left side either.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 24, 2011 9:33:16 AM PST
X. LI says:
What's "amazon box app"? is it an app for android?

Posted on Nov 24, 2011 10:04:39 AM PST
Sorry, but your kids were on here before you and they made us promise not to tell you how to do it. Our lips are sealed.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 24, 2011 10:26:36 AM PST
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Nov 26, 2011 9:05:11 AM PST
Eric J. says:
The amazon box app is the app that is preinstalled that has the box on it, and when pushed brings up amazon's shopping page!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 26, 2011 9:08:10 AM PST
~nospin says:
Go to your account.
Under Settings you will see 1 click settings.
Select it and then disable 1 click for the devices you want disabled.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 30, 2011 4:14:08 AM PST
Well, that's not good. Unless I can delete the app, it'll take my 8-yr-old under a week to figure it out. :) He's already ordered 41 copies of Lego Star Wars from Amazon; cost me $40 in shipping! :)

Posted on Dec 11, 2011 2:24:16 PM PST
All
I just got off the phone with levels #1 and 2 of Amazon help desk on my question to turn off purchasing via the Kindle Fire. The only way to limit/control purchasing via the Kindle Fire is to turn off the 1-Click setting. The help desk had to turn it off for me as I told them there is NO WAY to turn off the 1-click setting myself via the Amazon web-site. They agreed and proceed to turn off the one-click setting from their end. On my further analysis , Amazon users are enable to turn on but NOT TURN OFF the 1- click setting on their own. The other bad news is that the 1 click setting affects BOTH the purchases made via a computer desktop and the Kindle Fire. My attempt to disable purchasing via the Kindle (as it is for my kid) has also resulted in the turn off of the 1 click via the computer desktop by an adult..!!! This means the parent/adult now has to enter addresses, credit card info for all Amazon purchases done via the website via the computer as well. In short there is zero/zip/nada parental control on purchases via Kindle Fire without affecting the adult/parents

I believe Amazon is getting tons of these kinds of feedback and hope they have software fix for this problem. This should be an easy problem to fix...Take a page from Apple iTunes..as they have got it right..!

Regards

Kandiah

Posted on Dec 11, 2011 6:34:23 PM PST
Mary McManus says:
I do not have one click enabled except for e-books (where one click is required) and I do not have to enter my credit card info each time. Nor do I have to re-enter my address.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 11, 2011 8:47:29 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 11, 2011 8:48:55 PM PST
Georgia Tuss says:
There is an app called "Child's Place" in the Amazon App Store. You can disable the shopping function with this application. Download the app on your children's Fire and set up as you desire, then lock it down with a password as instructed.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 11, 2011 10:45:51 PM PST
C. Scilley says:
Another way that might work is to turn the wifi off on the Fire when the children are using it. You can also have the Fire forget the password on the internet router. Grounding the Children if they purchase anything might help also. :)
Carolyn

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 11, 2011 10:50:53 PM PST
C. Scilley says:
The app Kid's Place works well for parental controls. The child cannot just leave the app. The parent must put in a password for the Child to leave. It is only for using apps on the Kindle Fire. They cannot go to the web from the app. It will not work for books.
Carolyn

Posted on Dec 20, 2011 2:39:10 PM PST
TxDrifter says:
So far Kid's Place is helpful. The only problem with it is that it needs to allow video shortcuts to downloaded videos. I am trying to locate a Gallery app or something similar that displays only the locally loaded movies.

Posted on Dec 21, 2011 6:42:40 PM PST
Just a DJ says:
I heard on the radio that Amazon has set this device up to make it FAR TOO easy to purchase from their site. It made me hesitate to order it for my daughter, but I did anyway. Now that I have it, I almost wish I had spent the extra 250 to get an iPad, because I can't turn 1-click OFF. This is the worst, and I won't recommend Kindle Fire to anyone, citing this as the reason. Like the other post read, take a hint from Apple - they are far more successful and did it without forcing you a purchase method. Seriously unhappy customer.

Posted on Dec 23, 2011 1:01:01 AM PST
P. Chan says:
I have an ipad, a Nook, and now a Kindle Fire. I've been in the software business for 20 years so I would think i know what I'm doing. After turning parental control off and disabling all kinds of switches, I gingerly press the buy key to test my result... Bam! any app purchased on my behave. What a scam!

Posted on Dec 25, 2011 10:40:54 AM PST
I have been trying all morning to fix this same problem for the Kindle Fire we purchased for our daughter for Christmas. I finally just registered her Kindle under a separate, new Amazon account without saved payment method. Only problem is will take longer and be a bigger ordeal to add apps. I'm disappointed Amazon doesn't have an easy fix for this.

Posted on Dec 26, 2011 4:47:50 AM PST
I agree with all the comments, I believe part of the entire marketing set-up was to buy content very (too) easily from Amazon. I had a hard time believing a company such as Amazon would compromise child safety over profit. I have already told all of my family members to avoid the kindle fire at all costs and have given the one I purchased for my daughter to my wife.

However, I did find a solution. Go to the store and buy a Visa or Master Card gift card. Spend all but $0.25 on the card. Set this card up as the default payment option. You won't have enough to make any purchases.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 26, 2011 7:57:00 AM PST
chemosh6969 says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 26, 2011 8:06:46 AM PST

Posted on Dec 26, 2011 8:22:51 AM PST
L. Leverton says:
You can turn off 1click for the kindle fire and not for hte computer, it is easy. THe only problem is it doesn't stop kids from purchasing apps. I forgot to tell my son about 1click. He has his own prepaid american express, but my debit card was on the account already. He thought he could buy an app and then put in his card info. He was so distraught when it took the ,99 from my debit card he threw up. He deleted my card by himself and applied his own, wrapped up a dollar in a letter and went to bed. I am so proud of him.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
NEWS: New Update for Kindle Reading Apps on Android and iOS
82 1 day ago
Announcement
Hachette/Amazon Business Interruption
0 May 27, 2014
Announcement
Have a Kindle Question?
0 Sep 12, 2012
FREE Books & Chat - Sunday 13th July, 2014 96 21 seconds ago
raok 77 - a glimpse of heaven? 6793 1 minute ago
Australian/Kiwi kindle users thread #3 9296 3 minutes ago
Kindle to Cloud? 6 3 minutes ago
is there any way to track a lost kindle fire? 1 6 minutes ago
International markups 49 9 minutes ago
How do I loan a Kindle book to my husband or friends? 2 9 minutes ago
Prime Music on first generation Kindle Fire. 10 10 minutes ago
We're an International Quirky Bunch! Put a Stelvin Closure on Your Tequila Arm and Prepare for the Apocalypse! Grab the Midnight Goats, Orange Loving Cows, Cat and Dog Overlords of the Universe, Plus Cherie! So Geese! 9327 13 minutes ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  78
Total posts:  254
Initial post:  Nov 23, 2011
Latest post:  1 hour ago

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 23 customers

Search Customer Discussions