Automotive Holiday Deals Books Gift Guide Books Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Beauty Deals Gifts Under $50 Amazon Gift Card Offer minions minions minions $30 Off Amazon Echo $30 Off Fire HD 6 Kindle Black Friday Deals Shop Now HTL
Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

Kindle Charging Port issue Part Deux

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-13 of 13 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 19, 2012 12:46:26 PM PST
Gadget Guy says:
Bought the original Kindle Fire as a Christmas gift for my mother last year. Had to send it back for a replacement maybe 3-4 months ago due to the charging port issue. Well, the same thing happened again this week and as I was out of town I let my mom handle it. Customer service was great as usual, but they did tell her they were sending an "upgraded" version of the Kindle as she had obvious concerns about it happening again.

Kindle came today, the box is new (very sleek btw), but the Kindle appears to be the exact same one. The model numbers match up from her last one to the new one so I'm guessing it's safe to assume it's the same one? Just checking as I know sometimes they switch around internals, but from everything I can tell it's the exact same one as the last two...definitely not the HD and I'm not sure if there's any other version as I'm a Nexus user and don't know all that much about the Fire's.

Any advice on the matter would be appreciated, told her I'd look into it before she re-contacted customer service about the issue. Rather have all our ducks in a row so to speak before we address the whole "sending you an upgraded version" thing. She loves her Kindle, but the whole charging port thing seems to be fairly widespread with the G1's, may have to sell it off and put her on the Nexus if there's no way to upgrade and the issue persists.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 12:51:27 PM PST
Check the memory. The newer version of the one she had has twice the memory.

Kindle Fire 7", LCD Display, Wi-Fi, 8 GB - Includes Special Offers

Posted on Dec 19, 2012 12:56:39 PM PST
soulJAHmon says:
I have a wall charger (usb) for my apple i-pod nano. Can I use it to charge the kindle also?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 1:06:58 PM PST
Gadget Guy says:
Do you know how much memory the new version have? Already sent the old one back, no way to cross-check it now

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 2:47:11 PM PST

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 2:50:52 PM PST
8GB is storage - not memory.

The 1st gen Fire has 512 MB of RAM, the new models have 1GB.

Posted on Dec 19, 2012 2:56:48 PM PST
The simplest way to check is to look for the gear icon at the top right of the home page. If you see the gear it's still the first generation. No gear means second generation.

Posted on Dec 19, 2012 3:04:28 PM PST
Gadget Guy says:
First off, thanks for the info guys and gals : )

Okay, here are the stats I could find on the unit. I just powered it up and went through the settings...

5.2 of 5.5 GB storage
System version 10.2.4 (jellybean me thinks)

Have no idea where to find the Ram is to check, but the gear is gone and it's a regular pull down notification bar now.

Looks like she has the G2, but is it supposed to have 8GB of storage instead of 5.5?

Posted on Dec 19, 2012 3:07:05 PM PST
The storage is less the part used by the system.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 3:07:06 PM PST
Jazzy_Jeff says:
You never get the whole amount listed. The operating system always takes up some of the space.

Posted on Dec 19, 2012 3:09:22 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 19, 2012 3:09:45 PM PST
Gadget Guy says:
Gotcha. G2 it is, she will be thrilled to say the least; 2 days without her Kindle was rough on her lol.

Thanks again!

Posted on Dec 19, 2012 3:31:25 PM PST
Cool! :)

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 26, 2012 12:33:35 PM PST
D. Netzel says:
If they said it was an upgrade, my guess is they beefed up the way the charging connector is attached to the board. Mine was out of warranty and had samee issue. I am pretty handy with electronics, so I decided to open it up. The charging connector had completely broken away from the board and the posts that solder the connector to the board didn't appear to have any solder on them. I resoldered the posts and then carefully resoldered the power connections (not recommended for the novice) and all works well. If they said it was 'upgraded', my guess is they addressed the issue. Have faith.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
What's New in IOS Version 4.12?
56 1 day ago
Introducing Fire-Setting an Entirely New Standard for a Tablet under $50
0 Sep 18, 2015
Introducing the All-New Fire HD: Powerful Tablets Designed for Entertainment
0 Sep 18, 2015
Welcome to the Kindle Discussion Forum - A Congregation of Kindle Enthusiasts
0 Mar 20, 2015
Apps not showing up in Kindle Freetime despite being told to 84 19 minutes ago
kindle fire web browser No Picture??? 2 23 minutes ago
The Quirkier, The Better! Bring Your Dogs, Cats, Exploding Chickens, So Geese, Fighting Turkeys, Goats, Fluffy Sheep, Cows, Velvet Monkeys, Big Honking Bats, Fishlettes And Cherie! Tally Ho! 4738 49 minutes ago
Kindle Touch Screen 13 53 minutes ago
R. Lee Smith loan please 15 59 minutes ago
Rent audiobooks without a subscription? 1 1 hour ago
Amazon Prime Day, 7/15/2015 - kindle deals? 441 1 hour ago
Speech won't turn off on KINDLE GS 94 1 hour ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  7
Total posts:  13
Initial post:  Dec 19, 2012
Latest post:  Dec 26, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions