Best Books of the Month Shop Costumes Learn more nav_sap_plcc_6M_fly_beacon Janet Jackson All-New Fire TV Stick with Voice Remote Grocery Introducing Handmade New Kitchen Scale from AmazonBasics Amazon Gift Card Offer redoaks redoaks redoaks  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage UnchartedBundle Fall Arrivals in Amazon Outdoor Clothing Learn more
Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

my Kindle fire split open on one side. now what

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-11 of 11 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 17, 2012 8:18:04 PM PST
TD says:
what do you do when your kindle fire splits open can't fix it screen is lifting off

Posted on Nov 17, 2012 8:22:11 PM PST
L. Hill says:
Contact customer service right away!!! Get a new one!!! Make sure you go through KINDLE CS...I have always used the "call me" option...

Posted on Nov 17, 2012 9:37:06 PM PST
It's a bad battery. This is a known issue. Contact Kindle Customer service immediately! Use the Help link at the top of the page, and then the "contact us" button.

Posted on Nov 18, 2012 4:05:17 AM PST
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on May 20, 2013 11:16:45 AM PDT
prb03 says:
I am having the same issue. I thought I was losing my mind because I knew that I had not dropped my kindle and keep it in a pretty good case since I got it. It looks exactly like the battery self destructed in there. The case is split open on the right-hand side just as others have stated happened to them.
I did call Customer Service and am waiting for them to get back to me to see if they are going to back up their product. I am a month out of warrenty but I think the battery should not ever self destruct so they should stand behind it.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 4, 2013 7:15:20 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 4, 2013 7:22:05 PM PDT
I am 6 months out of warranty and the best they would do was offer a replacement at a reduced price with a one year warranty. I could choose from either a new model or a refurbished one. I don't know if I want another kindle if this is going to happen again.

Posted on Aug 4, 2013 4:22:01 PM PDT
this happened to my kindle today. its a year and half old. past the warrenty they offered me a new one at a discounted price. i too beleive they should replace this as this is a safty issue. did anyone have luck getting it replaced at no cost?

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 4, 2013 4:23:15 PM PDT
did they replace it for you at no cost?

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 4, 2013 4:58:03 PM PDT
MikeJW says:
Actually, that seems like a pretty good deal: a discount on a replacement for an out of warranty device. Go for it!

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 4, 2013 5:59:19 PM PDT
CatChat says:
wrong Patrick. just because the forum is titled "kindle forum" does not mean all questions are kindle related. search the whole forum. some days there are more non-kindle AND even non-amazon questions asked. public forum means anyone can ask anything as long as they are within amazons guidelines.

Posted on Aug 4, 2013 7:25:29 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 4, 2013 7:44:57 PM PDT
Retired EE says:
Someone with moderate technical skills could replace the battery on an out of warrant KF. The battery has a connector and pricing for a new battery starts at under $40 for ether 7 inch KF on Ebay. This YouTube video shows how to open and close the KF and replace the battery.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
What's New in IOS Version 4.12?
4 22 hours ago
Introducing Fire-Setting an Entirely New Standard for a Tablet under $50
0 21 days ago
Introducing the All-New Fire HD: Powerful Tablets Designed for Entertainment
0 21 days ago
Welcome to the Kindle Discussion Forum - A Congregation of Kindle Enthusiasts
0 Mar 20, 2015
Account closed. What do I do with all of my books? 5 3 seconds ago
Fire 10 Home screen missing 13 30 seconds ago
Unable to find a book downloaded from Axis360 from my library on the device 1 3 minutes ago
Cannot delete borrowed book? 26 5 minutes ago
Echo feature forum 2 8 minutes ago
FB&C Nominations and voting for November 2015 discussion. 3 11 minutes ago
Kindle Touch Application Error + other errors 101 14 minutes ago
FREE Books & Chat - October 2015 428 26 minutes ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  10
Total posts:  11
Initial post:  Nov 17, 2012
Latest post:  Aug 4, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions