Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

FreeTime Unlimited DATA HOG!

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-18 of 18 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 14, 2012 8:51:33 PM PST
jarand says:
Just a word of warning: FreeTime Unlimited really sucks the data! We use our phones as hotspots, and were prepared for some extra data, but wow! Luckily we bought the FireHD's for grandkids, and their parents all have landline unlimited internet.

Posted on Dec 15, 2012 2:12:10 PM PST
PS56k says:
I'm confused -
You purchased the service, which is a DOWNLOAD CONTENT ON DEMAND service,
and now realize that when you use it, it actually downloads content ?

Posted on Dec 15, 2012 2:26:37 PM PST
R. D. Clark says:
Tablets should be considered to require unmetered wifi, with 3g/4g to be used only for emergencies and connecting to mostly-text sites.

Video streaming uses data usually measurable in gigabytes per hour.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 15, 2012 2:28:00 PM PST
CBRetriever says:
yep - the people with the 4G data plan can eat that up with a few movies and a few hours of browsing

Posted on Dec 15, 2012 2:35:39 PM PST
jarand says:
Geez PS56k, no need to be snarky. Yes it's a content on demand. Yes I realized it would download and that would take data. Not having streamed video before, I was simply shocked at the amount of data it sucked. The other two posters verified what I recently learned--"a few movies and a few hours of browsing"..."measurable in gigabytes per hour."

Just a heads-up for all of us newbies out there.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 15, 2012 2:37:06 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 15, 2012 2:42:08 PM PST
CBRetriever says:
actually on the 4G data plan, I believe wifi is required for any movie over 50MB

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 15, 2012 2:40:47 PM PST
Yes, you are correct. But they are using their 3G/4G phones as wi-fi hotspots for the Fires. So their cell phone data plans are getting hit with the data usage.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 15, 2012 2:40:48 PM PST
Yes, that is correct. Here is a copy & paste of 4G information:

*Overages - This is a prepaid plan. When a customer reaches their 250MB limit, they will receive a message letting them know they can either wait until the following month, or upgrade their plan to a 3GB or 5GB plan. There will be no overage charges.

*Restrictions - To prevent the data from being used in one sitting or accidentally, there are some restrictions to the data usage. They include:

-Downloads over 50MB from Appstore, Amazon MP3, Amazon Instant Video (AIV), Audible, or the Kindle Store require a Wi-Fi connection to complete.
-Transitioning from Wi-Fi to cellular (e.g. customer leaves home Wi-Fi network) when downloading an item over 50MB will result in the download stopping and asking the customer to connect to Wi-Fi to complete it.
-Transitioning from Wi-Fi to cellular when streaming AIV content will result in the stream stopping and asking the customer to connect to Wi-Fi to continue watching.

*Customers may see a restriction to their AIV streaming, this restriction will be removed with a software update once the device is connected via wireless and has at least a 40% charge.

*If a Wi-Fi network is recognized by your device and you're in range, it will connect to it automatically.

*When you're connected to the 4G network, the status bar will display the AT&T logo, the network type, and the network signal strength bars. If you're connected to Wi-Fi, the mobile network type will not be displayed.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 15, 2012 2:43:41 PM PST
CBRetriever says:
thanks Meya & Pineapple - as that doesn't affect me (I can't do videos anyway) I just had a vague idea hence the I believe

Posted on Dec 15, 2012 2:45:49 PM PST
jarand says:
Yes *~*Pineapple*~* The Twinkle-Toed Elf *~*, you are correct. We used our cell phone hotspot-- thankfully for just one day. We'll watch the usage for the rest of the month and be okay, but I did want to alert anyone else out there who might be as naive as we were!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 15, 2012 2:54:32 PM PST
Yep. A movie can be up to 2GB. Music is a data hog, too.

Posted on Dec 15, 2012 3:11:22 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Dec 15, 2012 3:12:09 PM PST]

Posted on Dec 15, 2012 3:11:34 PM PST
Cell phone companies have had free evenings and weekends for years. Why don't they do the same thing for data plans? At the very least, they could give us an off peak discount.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 15, 2012 3:13:26 PM PST
Just Peachy says:
Streaming large amounts of data at the speed you want for video takes more bandwidth than sending voices across the air.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 15, 2012 3:15:39 PM PST
Congestion based pricing could convince people to watch their movies when the demand is low.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 15, 2012 3:17:21 PM PST
flipoid says:
Then the demand would increase for those currently "low-demand" times.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 15, 2012 3:18:41 PM PST
...decreasing the demand during the "high-demand" times.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 15, 2012 3:27:17 PM PST
flipoid says:
... shifting the high-demand times ...
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  9
Total posts:  18
Initial post:  Dec 14, 2012
Latest post:  Dec 15, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions