Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

Quick Buyer's Guide

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-12 of 12 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 19, 2012 1:54:49 AM PST
If you are considering a Kindle, but wonder which to buy, consider this:

* - The Touch, and DX, have been elliminated from the line up.

* - If you want to watch movies/play video games on your Kindle, you need one of the Fire, or Fire HD, models.

* - If you want to listen to Audio Books, or music, on your Kindle, you need either a Fire, or Fire HD, or a Kindle Keyboard, model.

* - If you want a front lit E-Ink screen, you need the Paperwhite.

* - If you want a backlit LCD screen, you need a Fire, or Fire HD, model.

* - If you want a touch screen, you need either the Paperwhite, or one of the Fire/Fire HD models.

* - If you want button control, rather than touch screen control, you need either the Kindle (Basic), or The Kindle Keyboard, models.

* If you want the lowest price, on a new unit, you need the Kindle (Basic) model.

When I bought my first Kindle, I wanted: an E-Ink screen, audio capability, 3G capability, and button control...so I got a Kindle Keyboard which was then called The 3G+Wi-Fi.

When I wanted a second unit, to take on trips, and to read when the Keyboard was charging while I was home, I bought a Kindle otherwise known as the 'Basic'. I did not need audio capability, as I had that on the Keyboard model. I still wanted both an E-Ink screen, and button control, and wanted to pay less since I was getting less. The Kindle (Basic) was just right.

Your wants, and needs, will determine which features you require, which will determine which model(s) suit you best.

Posted on Nov 19, 2012 2:48:35 AM PST
Fud53 says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2012 3:04:38 AM PST
@Erin: A good listing, Erin. Thanks. :>)

Posted on Nov 19, 2012 5:25:47 AM PST
great post, erin! thanks for providing such a concise, point-by-point comparison. it will be very useful and, btw,you may want to ignore fud53, as most of us do.

Posted on Nov 19, 2012 6:07:11 AM PST
Liz says:
I need help. I want to buy a Kindle for my 11 year old who has reading problems---I thought a nifty Kindle which could also support audio books would be good. But the reviews make it sound like an Ipad with games and ads and flashing lights---NOT what I want for a kid I am trying to convince to read more. That said, I don't think she'd go for the black and white versions. Should I go ahead with a Kindle Fire and pay the 15 dols to get the ads blocked?

Posted on Nov 19, 2012 6:47:41 AM PST
I'd probably go for the base model $159 Fire. To me, the special offers aren't really a distraction and can be easily removed after purchase for the same cost so I'd get the SO version.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2012 6:50:59 AM PST
Just Peachy says:
With any of the Fires you will have "Free Time" -

Kindle FreeTime - a free, personalized tablet experience just for kids on the new Kindle Fire. Set daily screen limits, and give access to appropriate content for each child

You can use that to keep her from playing games when she should be reading.

Posted on Nov 19, 2012 7:09:23 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 19, 2012 7:10:22 AM PST
G. McNeil says:
Elizabeth - tough choices I know... So, I will add my two cents.

For ease of reading, you just can't beat the e-ink readers. They are B&W, so if that is a deal breaker, then I would seriously consider a Fire HD model. With Kindle Free Time, you can control just about every use the device is capable of. The HD models will also do "Imersion Reading" (that is, read the book to you as you read along).

And, the sound capabilities of the HD models are far better than the basic Fire. This would be important for audio books as well as music.

The music, videos, and games could become a part of her rewards or just a means to keep it in her hands, or totally restrict usage to books only. She will, much quicker that you might think possible, be 16 (in a wink, I'm tellin' ya) and the added functionality may become important as she improves her reading skills.

Anyway, good luck with your choice.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 21, 2012 12:08:33 PM PST
Hater, don't hate.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 21, 2012 12:11:25 PM PST
Dittie says:
Judge, much?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 21, 2012 12:14:43 PM PST
Elizabeth...I would get him the Kindle Fire or equivalent. It is a pseudo Android operating System so many apps from the Amazon App Store are compatible with it. The Reader has an excellent screem and it is audio-book capable. You may be able to rent one at your local library to see if he likes it and then surprise him with it as a gift. He will appreciate the colors on the screen and will enjoy playing the games as well. Be sure to enable parental controls, tho, or he may be able to access unworthy websites.

Good luck!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 21, 2012 12:16:59 PM PST
Ya got me...
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
NEWS: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Generation Software Update 5.4.5
33 4 hours ago
Announcement
NEWS: New Update for Kindle Reading Apps on Android and iOS
121 22 hours ago
Announcement
Hachette/Amazon Business Interruption
0 May 27, 2014
Announcement
Have a Kindle Question?
0 Sep 12, 2012
downloads are coming with huge nos of pages eg 5000 for 44 page book 2 1 minute ago
Has Anyone Used Kindle Lending Library? 24 3 minutes ago
turn off 1 click for kindle books 126 4 minutes ago
July 2014 Informal Poll--What are you reading now? 277 7 minutes ago
Netflix vs Amazon Prime 238 8 minutes ago
We're an International Quirky Bunch! Put on Your Chiffon and Taffeta, Sashay In, Pet a Midnight Goat, Cat or Dog, Crack Open Your Stelvin Closures and Say "Hi" to Cherie! 1016 8 minutes ago
Kindle Book Duplicates: Same ASIN, Not in the Public Domain 1 14 minutes ago
Please Improve Kindle! 7 15 minutes ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  9
Total posts:  12
Initial post:  Nov 19, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 21, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions