Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

Jack Reacher movie out 12/21

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-19 of 19 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 3, 2012 5:33:43 AM PST
Surveyah says:
I saw a trailer for the new Jack Reacher movie while watching the Today show this morning:

http://www.jackreachermovie.com/

I haven't made my mind up about seeing it yet, but I have never bought into Tom Cruise playing him. Still, I might like to see how it is...curiousity always gets the best of me :)

Posted on Dec 3, 2012 7:01:26 AM PST
Esse says:
I'm not really a Tom Cruise fan and I've only read one Jack Reacher novel in prep for seeing this movie, but based on the trailer the casting looks like it'll work. I think the key is that it reads like an action movie that appeals to people like me who don't really have a relationship with Jack Reacher as a character. Personally, I'm looking forward to it.

Posted on Dec 3, 2012 7:15:02 AM PST
Surveyah says:
I read the first 5 or so, then they started getting more expensive so I stopped for awhile. I really think they could have done a MUCH better casting job.....some candidates (among others):

1) Hugh Jackman

2) Gerard Butler

3) Jim Caviziel

Posted on Dec 3, 2012 7:15:27 AM PST
R. D. Clark says:
There is a long history of movies based on books where the source material was acknowledged, the book author was paid, but the name of the character was changed. Paul Newman starred in two Lew Archer movies -- but the character was called Lew Harper. Two of Westlakes Parker novels were made into movies, but in both Parker was renamed (Point Blank with Lee Marvin and Payback with Mel Gibson).

Here, they changed the name of the book, apparently to rub "Jack Reacher" in fans' faces. I imagine Cruise seeing all the adverse reaction to a tiny little guy playing the hulking bruiser Reacher and decided, "screw that, I paid for him, Jack Reacher is MINE!"

It could be a great movie, or at least a fun movie. I may even see it someday, when it becomes available via a streaming service I'm paying for anyway. But I don't feel like paying theater prices to finance this sort of cynicism.

Posted on Dec 3, 2012 7:20:17 AM PST
Surveyah says:
More Casting choices:

4) Ray Stevenson (Titus in Rome)

5) Sean Bean

I just don't think the producers dug DEEP enough in casting this role.....IMHO

Posted on Dec 3, 2012 7:22:47 AM PST
emily swan says:
Can not see Tom Cruise as Jack Reacher. Reacher is supposed to be a big man, tall, 210 lbs. Doesn't sound like Tom Cruise. He must have bought the rights in order to be the star. I love Sean Bean and Ray Stevenson but they might be too old for the part; then so is Cruise.

Posted on Dec 3, 2012 7:28:52 AM PST
Surveyah says:
Well ..i hope that when this movie BOMBS....they will consider re-casting for the next one. That being said.....it seems as though once Cruise gets his skinny fingers locked into a franchise that he sticks with it.

Posted on Dec 3, 2012 8:14:56 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 3, 2012 8:15:17 AM PST
Surveyah says:
hmmmm..the author thinks Tom Cruise is "fantastic" - and apparently TC's company was involved in buying rights to the movie:

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-505270_162-57512085/lee-child-tom-cruise-a-fantastic-jack-reacher/

It also says he wrote another Jack Reacher novel while the film was being made - I hope he doesn't have visions of TC dancing in his head now......

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 3, 2012 11:04:05 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 3, 2012 11:05:40 AM PST
epb says:
What this means is that Lee Childs/Tim Grant discovered, as Anne Rice did, that the check cleared despite the improbable amount of zeros.

I don't understand what people expect Tom to do? Is there a lot of popular fiction about middle-aged short guys that he should be tapping into for projects?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 3, 2012 11:08:50 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 3, 2012 11:09:44 AM PST
Surveyah says:
The point is this.... that Jack Reacher is NOT short - he's like 6'4" 250 and built like a brick SH. Tom Cruise is 5'7" in Katies high heels....

(EDIT: guess you meant not a lot of roles for guys of TC size....sorry)

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 3, 2012 11:11:02 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 3, 2012 11:18:52 AM PST
"Tom Cruise is 5'7" in Katies high heels...."

And the moment she discovered this was right before the divorce filing. Suspicions confirmed. Just sayin'.

Posted on Dec 3, 2012 11:16:51 AM PST
Debi says:
Some people will love it. He has a huge fan base. I'm not very interested in it myself. I've seen the commercial for it a couple times, just can't make myself believe he's Jack Reacher. LOL

It's too bad Tom didn't cast someone who fit the description. Of course Lee Childs said he was fantastic. He wants to sell him another book. :)

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 3, 2012 11:25:35 AM PST
Surveyah says:
I'd like to know how HUGE his fan base reallly is....i have a hard believing its that large anymore.....compared to other stars......

Posted on Dec 3, 2012 11:39:14 AM PST
R. D. Clark says:
One Shot is a very good book. It can form the basis for a great movie. There is no need for the character to be called "Jack Reacher."

People who don't know the books won't care what the character's name is. People who do are already upset.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 3, 2012 11:40:29 AM PST
See: John Carter.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 3, 2012 11:49:39 AM PST
Debi says:
I've seen posts on other boards that can't wait to see it, so no telling.

For me he's just another self absorbed actor, but I don't want to date him, if he's in a movie I'm interested in, I'll watch it. I just want to be entertained. I can't think of an actor I'd actually cross the street to meet.

Posted on Dec 4, 2012 7:49:31 AM PST
emily swan says:
I guess that when you reach the amount of fame he has and the money, there's not much you can't get done. Somehow I have a real problem trying to imagine him as Reacher but perhaps he'll stand on a ladder. This must be an ego thing for him. Movies always spoil books for some reason. Remember, he was also in Anne Rice's first vampire book too. And I didn't imagine him in that part either.

Posted on Dec 4, 2012 8:15:07 AM PST
R. D. Clark says:
There is a scene in the trailer where Cruise eludes police by stepping into a crowd of bystanders and blending in.

This is something Jack Reacher simply could not do.

Posted on Dec 4, 2012 1:17:06 PM PST
epb says:
I think most people's issue is that, unlike a lot of characters, Reacher's size is a part of the character, and one of the most notable features about him. Jared Padalecki from Supernatural would have made a good Reacher, using the early books when he'd just gotten out of the service.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
NEWS: Kindle for iOS 4.8
0 27 days ago
Announcement
Welcome to the Kindle Discussion Forum - A Congregation of Kindle Enthusiasts
0 Mar 20, 2015
Announcement
Meet other story lovers at Write On by Kindle
41 5 days ago
Announcement
Enjoy your print books and personal documents on your Kindle with Kindle Convert.
0 Feb 2, 2015
FREE Books & Chat - May 2015 169 3 minutes ago
Al's Place 35mm 7960 3 minutes ago
Monthly free ebook with narration 31 4 minutes ago
RAOK 82 has a spring in its step! 405 9 minutes ago
Kindle Fire HDX Dropping WiFi 1745 12 minutes ago
Kindle Paperwhite 26 17 minutes ago
SwagBucks Thread 5906 17 minutes ago
kindle unlimited 3 22 minutes ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  7
Total posts:  19
Initial post:  Dec 3, 2012
Latest post:  Dec 4, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions