Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

Kindle Fire HD 8.9 Skype Camera Wrong Orientation

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-12 of 12 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 16, 2012 3:19:35 PM PST
m.furnari says:
I just received my kindle Fire 8.9 today and the first thing i did was load up skype to test the new front facing camera. The screen worked well, the person on the other end looked great, and the camera was recognized but my image was rotated 90 degrees.

I appear rotated 90 on my screen and on the other devices screen. It doesn't matter how I rotate the kindle, I am always 90 degrees rotated. Is anyone else having this problem?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2012 3:24:17 PM PST
Did you think to contact Kindle support? If it is a hardware issue, then you need to contact Kindle support.

Click on help at the top or bottom of any Amazon page and then the contact us button on the next page. I suggest using the phone for quickest resolution.

Posted on Nov 16, 2012 3:33:17 PM PST
m.furnari says:
I will eventually but I was just hoping someone else with the device could check to make sure it is not some incompatibility between the software and the kindle fire 8.9

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2012 3:40:33 PM PST
Old Rocker says:
There are several reviews up and none mentioned a similar issue. Mine hasn't yet arrived so I can't try to duplicate the issue.

Posted on Nov 16, 2012 3:56:49 PM PST
m.furnari says:
My first attempt was a skype video call to a Samsung Galaxy S3 phone. My image was rotated 90 degrees clockwise.

I have just tested with a laptop and this time my image was rotated 180 degrees, completely upside down.

I then tested with the SGS3 phone again and it was back to 90 degrees.

Very weird stuff.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2012 4:37:30 PM PST
Jazzy_Jeff says:
Have you tried using standing on your head ;p

Posted on Nov 16, 2012 5:45:20 PM PST
Old Rocker says:
The orientation on mine is correct. I don't see any settings to rotate the screen. I suppose it is possible that the camera was installed incorrectly.

Posted on Nov 16, 2012 8:21:05 PM PST
m.furnari says:
The more I think about it, the more I think you may be right. I am going to try a camera app to see how the photos come out. I will post back what I find out.

Thanks Rocker.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2012 8:25:17 PM PST
Old Rocker says:
There's a built in camera app

Posted on Nov 16, 2012 10:13:31 PM PST
m.furnari says:
Well, the built in camera app, as well as 3rd party apps both behave correctly. I guess that's a... good thing?
Next up is uninstalling and re-installing the skype.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2012 10:44:52 PM PST
Old Rocker says:
That's really odd. Wish I could help more.

Posted on Nov 16, 2012 11:53:54 PM PST
m.furnari says:
Well I solved the problem!!

When I went to download skype there were 2 versions, Skype for kindle Tablets . and another skype app called. "Skype for Amazon Test Applications" I downloaded them both, but I only ran the Skype for Kindle Tablets app. I guess they have the same footprint and the Amazon Test Application overwrote the Skype files. I had some debug options and could display logs and such. I uninstalled Skype for Kindle Tablets, and actually both apps uninstalled at the same time. I then re-installed Skype for Kindle Tablets, and everything works fine. I now cant find the Test Skype app in the app store anymore but it is still under my cloud apps. I guess I wasn't supposed to be downloading that anyway. Thanks for everything Rocker!
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  4
Total posts:  12
Initial post:  Nov 16, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 16, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions