Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PME Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro STEM
Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

Kindle Fire HD security software?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-12 of 12 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 21, 2012 9:08:00 PM PST
Lorr914 says:
what security software is needed with tablets like the fire HD?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 21, 2012 9:46:52 PM PST
A. Dietz says:
None.

Posted on Nov 21, 2012 10:09:23 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 21, 2012 10:09:39 PM PST
Bixillarla says:
There is mobile version of virus protection but it is not a big issue like it is with computers. You can use a virus software if it makes you feel better but it is not really needed for a tablet.

Posted on Nov 21, 2012 11:59:02 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 22, 2012 12:00:38 AM PST
I agree that virus protection isn't much of an issue but id theft and privacy violations are serious concerns for anyone who uses public wifi hotspots with a KF. I use a vpn service on my Nexus 7 but the original Fire didn't support vpn connections and I don't think the HD does either. This article discusses the problem and offers some suggestions: http://www.esecurityplanet.com/trends/article.php/3929541/How-to-Securely-Manage-WiFi-on-Smart-Phones-and-Tablets.htm

Posted on Nov 22, 2012 4:57:13 AM PST
Lorr914 says:
Thank you for the feedback, it's appreciated

Posted on Dec 15, 2012 5:59:10 PM PST
breaux says:
I agree: a VPN capability is very much needed for the Kindle Fire. Without it, I would be very careful when using any wifi connection that I wasn't sure had adequate security. For me, I will disable the wireless feature when in public and won't use on any wifi networks absent an emergency. Some might see this as extreme, but, obviously, I don't think so. Without VPN or the knowledge that you're using a protected wifi connection, your signal is ripe for the picking.

Posted on Jan 4, 2013 6:20:10 AM PST
Edwina Lay says:
What kind of security c
an i get for my new kindle?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 4, 2013 7:21:13 AM PST
Edwina, if you have a Fire, the Avast Mobile Security App available in the Amazon App Store is good (recommended by a lot of the geeky sites I frequent). It's free, but has no ads and does not constantly "phone home" (except for updates). I'm not sure if it has been updated to include all the Fires yet, so check first. I have it installed on my 2nd Gen Fire.

Posted on Jan 31, 2013 5:43:18 AM PST
Richmond99 says:
Whoever answered "none,"what is your proof? So we can never download malicious software or visit a site with it? No virus can ever access our credit card or email info? No one can ever snoop on an unprotected hotel wifi? wow amazon can do that with all of kindle's issues while no one else can with their hardware?

Posted on Jul 7, 2014 5:23:33 PM PDT
marc sidoti says:
my 7 yr old has a kindle fire and im looking for a way to stop him from purchasing all the apps he wants all the time is there a way to stop him?

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 21, 2016 2:49:54 PM PDT
Joy Upton says:
Please explain why you say none. Have a Kindle Fire and Avast Secuirty is not available. When I want to check my email when I'm on a train, is it secure with a Kindle Fire? Is reading my books in 3M Cloud?
Need help understanding. Verizon says their security on my Samsung phone is enough security that I don't need Avast away from home. Do you know if that is accurate? Thanks for any help with my understanding.
Joy

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 21, 2016 2:53:47 PM PDT
T. Cook says:
"Please explain why you say none."

Since they wrote that statement on "Nov 21, 2012 9:46:52 PM PST", that statement might not be accurate....
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
Critical Software Update for Kindle E-Readers
0 Mar 23, 2016
Announcement
Welcome to the Kindle Discussion Forum - A Congregation of Kindle Enthusiasts
0 Mar 20, 2015
can a prime member borrow books on their ipad kindle app? 1231 31 seconds ago
So can you turn the Paperwhite light completely off? 749 2 minutes ago
Adding money to my kindle account 12 3 minutes ago
FREE Books and Chat - July 2016 11 9 minutes ago
It's After Midnight and I Just Opened a Bottle of Wine 5648 20 minutes ago
86th RAoK - Let the Games Begin 221 24 minutes ago
Discounted / Price Dropped Kindle eBooks III 9574 26 minutes ago
Kindle book I paid for suddenly not available to read on Kindle 67 46 minutes ago
We're Quirky And We Know It! Come Witness The Howling Dink, Hussy Turkey Hens, And A Veritable Plethora Of Other Beasts! So Geese! 1904 54 minutes ago
KINDLE KITCHEN #5: Home of Family, Friends and Good Food 8793 1 hour ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  11
Total posts:  12
Initial post:  Nov 21, 2012
Latest post:  Apr 21, 2016

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

Search Customer Discussions