Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

parental control

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 28 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 2, 2012 3:58:33 PM PST
What is the best parental control for kindle fire & how do I get it?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 2, 2012 4:18:10 PM PST
Check the one that is built-in on the latest software version. Which model Fire?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 2, 2012 4:55:14 PM PST
Gosh, I don't know. I haven't bought it yet. Is one better than another as far as parental control?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 3, 2012 9:51:40 AM PST
K. Williams says:
I'm not sure if there is anything for the kindle just yet, it's running a proprietary version of android. But if you use a android tablet, you can check out mobile spy.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 3, 2012 10:04:13 AM PST
Just Peachy says:
Amazon has a free app called "Free Time" that is specifically for the Fire.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 3, 2012 10:30:56 AM PST
Honestly, YOU are the best parental control. You get it by telling your kid "no" and taking the Kindle away if the kid disobeys.

Yes, there are apps, and many of them are awesome. However, kids are getting better and better with technology. It's only a matter of time before they figure out a way around any restrictions you put on a device.

Posted on Dec 25, 2012 11:15:16 AM PST
Sharon says:
I have a kindle and my daughter has a kindle under my account .(2nd kindle). How do I work with the free time app so I can parental control and remove my books from her kindle . Do I install the app on her kindle ?

Posted on Dec 25, 2012 11:23:52 AM PST
jarand says:
How old is the child? Free Time is great for young kids. It allows you to control what content she has access to, but there is no way to allow web browsing or library check out while she's in Free Time.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 25, 2012 11:39:56 AM PST
Sharon says:
She is 10... My books are showing on hers and amazon told me that the free time app will give me the ability to delete those books... I just don't know how to do it

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 25, 2012 11:40:47 AM PST
Just Peachy says:
Click on Help at the top of the page and go to the Kindle Help pages for the Kindle you bought.
Or Click on the Freetime app on her Fire and follow the instructions.

Posted on Dec 25, 2012 11:45:02 AM PST
jarand says:
Yes FreeTime will do that. It creates a 'closed environment' into which the parent specifically selects what is and is not available. Nothing else will be seen as long as she's in that closed environment. Also, there is no web browsing available and no purchasing ability. To exit the Freetiime environment, and return the Kindle to its regular home screen, a parent password is required.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 25, 2012 12:01:29 PM PST
C. Fegley says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 27, 2012 8:46:18 AM PST
Bea says:
I spoke to a Amazon about parental control apps to control website visits. According to a Kindle Fire rep there isnt anything create to limit or restrict visits to inappropriate website. I was a bit disappointed because i purchased the Kindle fire hoping that the new addition to Kindle free time would offer that service or apps to block inappropriate websites. Had I known, I wouldnt had purchased the Kindle....Great tablet but considering young children, it doesnt offer much protection.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 27, 2012 8:57:55 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 27, 2012 9:17:41 AM PST
A Customer says:
When did you buy the Fire? If you bought it on or after November 1, 2012, you have until January 31, 2013 to return it.

Problem solved.

Edited to correct monumental error! Yikes!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 27, 2012 9:15:31 AM PST
Dittie says:
Psst, *on or after* November 1.

Posted on Dec 27, 2012 9:16:21 AM PST
jarand says:
BEC, there is nothing that is 100% foolproof in blocking "inappropriate" websites if kids are given free acces to the web. For young kids, we love the Kindle FreeTime. It creates a closed environment where kids are able to do only what their parents have selected. If you do the monthly FreeTime Unlimited subscription, Anazon will also populate the environment with hundreds of age appropriate books, apps, and videos. BUT, to access the web, you must exit the closed environment with a parent password. So when parents can't be right with the kiddo, they have tons of safe stuff to do. When they can, the option of web browsing us still there. For younger kids, we love this!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 27, 2012 9:19:09 AM PST
A Customer says:
Thanks! I'm going to blame it on my fingers. Or gremlins. Or something. ;-)

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 27, 2012 9:25:25 AM PST
Dittie says:
I do it all the time. I only notice it when it's someone else, though. lol

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 27, 2012 9:31:24 AM PST
A Customer says:
I swear typos creep *after* I hit post. I'll re-read a post, correct some errors, then hit post. Just after I do, I see more typos. :-(

Damazon!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 27, 2012 9:32:39 AM PST
Dittie says:
Damazon -- ruining typing skills since 1996!

Posted on Dec 27, 2012 9:34:55 AM PST
I also set up the Free Time for my kids, but I am wondering if they have any specific control for videos like Netflix does. I have Netflix set to only show family friendly/kids shows and movies. If I go to the Videos section (not in Free Time) everything is available. I guess I could require the password, which looks like my only option but I'd much rather not even have her see what is out there.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 27, 2012 9:35:00 AM PST
Dog Lover says:
Listen. I've actually copy/pasted from one-notes and have PROOF for at least one instance that the posting changed after I hit "post." I think the bots that examine for deletion can, on occasion, actually modify a posting. I'm gonna try to copy more but, admittedly, will probably not take the time to do that.

It is embarrassing to have words completely changed!

That is my story and I'm stickin' to it. It is those gremlins who are actually agents of the DVFs that are behind it, I'm certain.

DL

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 27, 2012 9:36:25 AM PST
Just Peachy says:
Your child needs to be in FreeTime to use the Fire.
Why not just use the FreeTime?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 27, 2012 9:38:59 AM PST
A Customer says:
"...gremlins who are actually agents of the DVFs..."

YES! That would explain so much!

Posted on Dec 27, 2012 10:16:01 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 27, 2012 10:33:08 AM PST
The reason I want to know is because all of the videos in Freetime are for pre-school aged kids, at least as far as I can tell. We have prime, so I would like her to have access to prime videos (icarly, etc.) that aren't showing up in Free Time.

Edited: I found this link in another thread, https://www.amazon.com/pin where I was able to set the instant video to Family or Family 13. We'll see if that works.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
NEWS: New Update for Kindle for Android 4.6
89 21 hours ago
Announcement
Update re: Amazon/Hachette Business Interruption
0 Jul 29, 2014
Announcement
Hachette/Amazon Business Interruption
0 May 27, 2014
Announcement
Have a Kindle Question?
0 Sep 12, 2012
OT: Discussion - (Freebie Books Links Only) 1762 8 minutes ago
Silk Browser Issues 11 12 minutes ago
Freebie Books - Links Only - No Self Promotion III 4441 14 minutes ago
SwagBucks Thread 2553 19 minutes ago
FREE Books & Chat - Sunday 31st August, 2014 9 21 minutes ago
Discounted / Price Dropped Kindle eBooks III 3234 36 minutes ago
We're an International Quirky Bunch! Put on Your Chiffon and Taffeta, Sashay In, Pet a Midnight Goat, Cat or Dog, Crack Open Your Stelvin Closures and Say "Hi" to Cherie! 4389 59 minutes ago
KINDLE KITCHEN #4: Home of Family, Friends and Good Food! 2831 1 hour ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  15
Total posts:  28
Initial post:  Dec 2, 2012
Latest post:  Dec 25, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

Search Customer Discussions