Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

Reading in the dark?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-13 of 13 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 3, 2012 10:54:28 AM PST
Leanne says:
I have a kindle reader but see that there is now one with a light for night reading. Does the Kindle Fire have a light for reading at night too. Dumb question maybe? I figure if it does then the Fire for $20.00 more might be a better way to go.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 3, 2012 10:56:03 AM PST
Fires are backlit, just like computer screens.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 3, 2012 10:57:27 AM PST
**Meya** says:
The Fire is a tablet device, with an LCD backlit screen. It is nothing like reading on an e-ink Kindle. It is designed for media consumption, streaming video, music, email, browsing, all of which requires an active WiFi connection. It has a battery life measured in hours, not days, and it is heavier than the e-ink models. It is not good for use outside in the sunlight.

The Paperwhite is a dedicated ebook reader. It has a front light system, making it great for reading in all light conditions, the dark to the bright sunlight, and everything in between.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 3, 2012 10:57:45 AM PST
Anne Shirley says:
The Fires are BACK lit, like a computer screen. The Kindle Paperwhites are FRONT lit, like a lamp on the page. Most people prefer an e-ink, i.e. the PW, for prolonged reading.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 3, 2012 10:58:04 AM PST
The Fire's screen is just like a cell phone. They're great little toys, but the drawback is that they are very hard to see outside. That said, they do a WHOLE LOT of other things an e-reader does not.

But if you JUST want a reading device, the Paperwhite is awesome. :0)

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 3, 2012 10:58:40 AM PST
Leanne says:
Thank you

Posted on Dec 3, 2012 11:08:39 AM PST
Kathy says:
I have had a KK for several years, but decided to try a Paperwhite because I mostly read at night. I LOVE it. You can adjust the light brightness so it doesn't hurt your eyes when you wake up at night and want to read in the dark. Definitely the one to go with if you use it just for just reading (be sure to check out and compare other features you may use/want before you decide on which is right for you though)

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 3, 2012 11:16:15 AM PST
You're welcome.

Posted on Dec 3, 2012 4:24:25 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 3, 2012 4:25:47 PM PST
Shabuboy says:
We sideloaded Aldiko to our Kindle Fire, Aldiko is a reading app which allows to customize its night theme to any colors (fonts and background) you might like.
Perfect to read and night without the need for a light, perfect to read outside when is sunny, overcast, etc.

But it does take some techie skills tough...

Posted on Dec 3, 2012 4:57:30 PM PST
JHorne says:
Does the fire come with the charger? If not what kind of charger does it take?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 3, 2012 5:32:01 PM PST
@JHorne: It says on the Fire's product page that it comes with a USB cable, and that's all. You get the opportunity to buy a fast charger at a discount when you buy the Fire.

You can use a smartphone charger, or you can use the USB cable attached to a computer USB socket.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 3, 2012 5:35:26 PM PST
JHorne says:
Thank I must have been over looking it and getting ready to purchase one for Christmas and we have several smart phone chargers.

Posted on Dec 3, 2012 5:35:43 PM PST
lollykinz says:
I have a kindle fire too and i found one one here for 2.00!!!!so yea but there are only 1 left so if any of u want 1 u should get one quick and no I m not the seller.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
Software Update for the Original Kindle Paperwhite
0 Jul 1, 2015
Announcement
News: Kindle for Android app Update 4.13 Now Available
0 Jun 25, 2015
Announcement
Amazon Introduces New Kindle Paperwhite: The Most Popular Kindle, Now Even Better
0 Jun 18, 2015
Announcement
Welcome to the Kindle Discussion Forum - A Congregation of Kindle Enthusiasts
0 Mar 20, 2015
RAOK 82 has a spring in its step! 7157 28 seconds ago
games 1 40 seconds ago
Al's Place 35mm 9136 7 minutes ago
Amazon Echo 6420 8 minutes ago
Free Books and Chat... July 2015 1042 10 minutes ago
is there a way to mark the books read? 1 10 minutes ago
Welcome To The Quirky Zoo! Home To Many Exotic and Everyday Creatures Including a Platypus! 4884 12 minutes ago
Book should be REMOVED from Amazon!!!!!!!! Shameful! Pedophilia! 2 12 minutes ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  10
Total posts:  13
Initial post:  Dec 3, 2012
Latest post:  Dec 3, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions