Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

Kindle Paperwhite Update Version 5.3.0

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 798 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 7, 2012 10:26:26 AM PST
We have a new, free software update available for the Kindle Paperwhite that you can download. The software update will be delivered automatically via wireless to your Kindle Paperwhite in the coming weeks or you can download it here: http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html/ref=kindle_help_forum_faq?nodeId=201064850

New features in this update include:
* Improved Fonts: We have made changes to Palatino, Baskerville, and Futura fonts to make them look even better on Kindle Paperwhite. You will notice this when reading books, as well as in menus. We've also improved the Japanese and Chinese fonts on your Kindle and tuned spacing to provide a better reading experience.
* Turn off Recommended Content in Home: You can now turn on or off recommended content from the Kindle Store on the Home screen.
* Smoother sample-to-book experience: When you buy the book after reading the sample, we will now automatically start the book at your last reading location in the sample and remove the sample from your Kindle.
* Easier access to Settings: When reading a book, you can now access Settings directly from the menu.
* Simplified Chinese Support: You can now use your Kindle Paperwhite in Simplified Chinese.
* Improved Manga: We've added a new Fit-to-Screen Mode that improves the readability of Manga and maximizes the use of your Kindle screen.
* Page Refresh in Comics and Manga: You can now specify a page refresh setting for comic books and manga independent of the refresh setting for books.

If you have updated your Kindle Paperwhite and have questions, please visit the Kindle Help Forum: http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/forums/kindleqna/ref=kindle_help_forum_gd

Posted on Nov 7, 2012 11:18:46 AM PST
Kathy says:
Thanks for the great updates!

Posted on Nov 7, 2012 11:51:04 AM PST
Just Peachy says:
Thanks for listening to your customers!

Posted on Nov 7, 2012 12:03:19 PM PST
T. Gray says:
Thanks, now add ability to turn off light completely.

Posted on Nov 7, 2012 12:14:22 PM PST
George Kirk says:
I am glad about being able to remove Recommended Content from the home screen (with icons instead of a list of books.) I like the look of the book icon images, but I did not like the Recommended Content. I much prefer the new update. Thanks!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 12:21:57 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 7, 2012 12:22:53 PM PST
@T.Gray - I totally second this, I'd love to be able to completely disable/shut off the light.

Maybe include and easier way to disable wireless mode too?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 12:26:15 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 7, 2012 12:26:30 PM PST
@T. Gray I'm really hoping they add this ability!

Posted on Nov 7, 2012 12:30:33 PM PST
MOM2JTV says:
woohoo, I like these updates!

Posted on Nov 7, 2012 12:58:22 PM PST
Nobody says:
Just downloaded the update and love it. Fonts much better and I love being able to use the cover view without the recommendations for other books.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 1:30:13 PM PST
John D. says:
I'm running 5.2.0 on my Kindle Paperwhite, and tried to force an update this way: Home | Menu | Settings | Menu | Update Your Kindle... but Update Your Kindle is grayed out. Can I force this update by any means other than connecting to USB?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 1:32:42 PM PST
Jazzy_Jeff says:
You either have to wait for it to update automatically through WiFi or you can download the update and transfer it via your USB cable from the computer and then use the steps you tried. Only 2 options.

Posted on Nov 7, 2012 1:58:49 PM PST
Benjamin says:
Update makes it much easier to turn wifi off and on while within a book.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 2:03:02 PM PST
John D. says:
You're right, of course. I'm just used to wireless updates now on my Apple devices, so expected it to work the same way. Once I found a cable there was no problem with the update.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 2:32:14 PM PST
Just Peachy says:
It will eventually update via wireless. They just don't push it out to everyone at the exact same time.

Posted on Nov 7, 2012 3:21:02 PM PST
DinDC says:
Great update, especially the ease of buying a book that one just sampled and the ability to turn off WiFi when reading a book. Thank you!

Posted on Nov 7, 2012 3:25:05 PM PST
Just Peachy says:
I was reading a sample earlier today. After doing the update I downloaded the book from my library. It worked great -- deleted the sample and the book started where I left off in the sample.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 3:30:29 PM PST
 Ann says:
Nifty. I've wanted this feature since the K1!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 3:46:52 PM PST
QuietWinds says:
Now *that's* the Amazon I know and love.
Thank you for listening to us, Amazon and for your quick response.

Report Card ~~
o Turn off recommendations - A+
o Improved fonts - A+
o Sample-to-Book Experience - A+ (huge bonus)
o Easier Access to Settings - A+

Responsiveness to Customers - A++

I'm thoroughly delighted.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 5:25:43 PM PST
Quang Tu says:
turn off light completely by pressing and holding the "-" sign at the bottom of the light bar

Posted on Nov 7, 2012 6:07:46 PM PST
T. Gray says:
Quang Tu, it doesn't turn completely off by doing that. To observe this, look at your kindle in a pitch black room with kindle light setting all the way down. It will still have a glow.

Posted on Nov 7, 2012 6:42:32 PM PST
I cannot figure out how to turn off recommendations from the home screen. Please help!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 7:05:58 PM PST
@Reading: After updating the Paperwhite to the 5.3.0 software version, from the Home screen, tap on the menu button at the top right, then tap on Device Options,then personalize your Kindle, and then turn off recommended Content.

Posted on Nov 7, 2012 7:13:45 PM PST
@John: Thank you. It worked. I appreciate it.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 8:18:25 PM PST
@Reading: You're very welcome. Enjoy! :>

Posted on Nov 8, 2012 12:13:18 AM PST
Jeanne says:
Nice! Thank you, Amazon. : )
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 32 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
Software Update for the Original Kindle Paperwhite
0 18 hours ago
Announcement
News: Kindle for Android app Update 4.13 Now Available
0 6 days ago
Announcement
Amazon Introduces New Kindle Paperwhite: The Most Popular Kindle, Now Even Better
0 14 days ago
Announcement
News: Kindle for iOS Update 4.9 Now Available
0 May 27, 2015
Announcement
Welcome to the Kindle Discussion Forum - A Congregation of Kindle Enthusiasts
0 Mar 20, 2015
Announcement
Meet other story lovers at Write On by Kindle
60 May 19, 2015
Announcement
Enjoy your print books and personal documents on your Kindle with Kindle Convert.
0 Feb 2, 2015
RAOK 82 has a spring in its step! 4275 19 seconds ago
Kindle wall charger and Screen protector 3 29 seconds ago
It's After Midnight and I Just Opened a Bottle of Wine 3705 8 minutes ago
Access Lending library with prime when using ipad kindle reader 244 8 minutes ago
Australian/Kiwi kindle users thread #4 - "the BBQ" 4915 9 minutes ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  232
Total posts:  798
Initial post:  Nov 7, 2012
Latest post:  Dec 27, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 32 customers

Search Customer Discussions