Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

dump-log.js

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 29 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 11, 2012 4:34:56 PM PST
NG says:
What is this message "do you want to open dump-log.js from Amazon?" We keep getting on amazon buying from the pc? Completely different pcs on completely different accounts are getting it.

Just got it buying a charger for my 8.9.

Posted on Nov 11, 2012 4:41:44 PM PST
SeaLevel274 says:
I don't know, but I have been seeing it today too. I am using Windows 8/IE 10.

Posted on Nov 11, 2012 5:10:13 PM PST
Same here; never saw it before today - have no idea what it is.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 11, 2012 5:17:37 PM PST
B. Marks says:
I don't have a real answer for you but as a retired programmer I'd say something was crashing, probably something involving Java, and it's offering to give you a dump, which is the state of RAM at the time the problem occurred. I'm not a Java programmer so the dump may be less than that in Java.

My guess at the cause is that there's a bug on Amazon's website that's causing some kind of problem in Java on IE.

Of course this is all guessing on my part. It might be early signs of a Martian invasion. :)

Anyway, if I'm right Amazon will probably fix it soon and the problem will go away.

I don't use IE so I haven't seen this.

Barry

Posted on Nov 11, 2012 6:58:31 PM PST
I'm getting it too. The message is "Do you want to open or save dump-log.js from Amazon.com?" As Barryem said, it is probably a failed JavaScript applet. Whatever it is, they need to fix it. Don't like seeing dump logs on a page where I do financial transactions!

Posted on Nov 11, 2012 7:09:05 PM PST
Hovaner says:
Same problem. It would be nice for Amazon to provide a prompt response.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 11, 2012 8:29:06 PM PST
NG says:
Barryem,

Pretty sure you are right. I am very uncomfortable with this because it involves spending money (not surfing.)

Needs an immediate response.

Willescalate tomorrow.

Posted on Nov 11, 2012 10:53:13 PM PST
I'm getting it too and it won't stop. It's actually asking me to run (or save) a file and it keeps popping up even when I hit cancel. Great...

Posted on Nov 12, 2012 12:11:40 AM PST
This has been reported to the technical support team. Updates on the situation will be posted here:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/forums/?cdThread=Tx3DL1TLVHPLYM9

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 12, 2012 6:54:37 AM PST
NG says:
Pineapple,
I read it. So there is a defect in Amazon (or Oracle's and therefor Amazon's) Java software for 1 click. If you use IE, you see it. If you use another browser you don't see it. Amazon's solution is if you see it, destabilize your operating environment and install a browser where you can't tell the defect is there. WOW.

Posted on Nov 12, 2012 12:38:19 PM PST
Tom V. Craft says:
I did a little experimenting today and noticed that if I go to the Amazon Kindle books page I do not get the java popup when hovering over 1-click. It does appear if looking at any hard merchandise and pass over the 1-click.

Posted on Nov 12, 2012 8:20:47 PM PST
Chainsol says:
Here's the line, it's not a defect so much as an odd way of serving the file. IE doesn't play nice.

<script type="text/javascript">
var ocInitTimestamp = 1352779412;
amznJQ.onCompletion("amznJQ.criticalFeature", function() {
amznJQ.available("jQuery", function() {
jQuery.ajax({
url: 'http://z-ecx.images-amazon.com/images/G/01/orderApplication/javascript/pipeline/201201041713-ocd._V401278235_.js',
dataType: 'script',
cache: true
});
});
});
</script>

It'll look different on each, more than likely, that script is inserted dynamically, I think.

Posted on Nov 13, 2012 11:20:14 AM PST
E. Rocha says:
Thank you, everyone, for your input.

I've just talked with Amazon.com Customer Service at 1-866-216-1072 about the dump-logs.js message I am getting, also, when I try to order or to "Read Inside" a book. No ready solution at the moment. Representative said she is filing report with Tech Department and, hopefully, a solution will be reached in the next 24 hours.

Posted on Nov 13, 2012 2:09:09 PM PST
A. Pfeffer says:
I encountered this same problem in IE9/Windows 7 after installing Amazon Cloud Drive. The Amazon tech agent I spoke to said it doesn't relate to Cloud Drive, though.

Posted on Nov 13, 2012 5:18:35 PM PST
I'm getting the same message. Obviously, Amazon doesn't think solving this is high priority. So I'm not going to make the purchase I was planning. I'll make the purchase on another site where I don't get messages that make me nervous right in the middle of a financial transaction.

Posted on Nov 13, 2012 5:18:35 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Nov 13, 2012 5:19:31 PM PST]

Posted on Nov 13, 2012 5:59:37 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 13, 2012 6:01:47 PM PST
E. Rocha says:
This afternoon, I received from Amazon.com a follow-up email to my online discussion with the customer service rep with a suggeston that while their technicians are looking into our problem, I download the browser for Mozilla Firefox then try to access Amazon.com through Firefox instead of Internet Explorer.

I'm reluctant to download Firefox just in case it would throw off my IE settings etc. for starters. Importantly, since it appears to be an Amazon problem, I shouldn't have to download a separate brower just so I can use their site.

Anyone have Firefox and already tried to access Amazon.com through that browser?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 13, 2012 6:24:52 PM PST
Hovaner says:
Firefox is a reliable and actually quite stable browser. I also try to use just IE to keep my environment simple, but continuously resort to using Firefox. Our company, one of the top 10 software firms in the world, recommends Firefox to run many of our products.

I have used Firefox to access Amazon. On my Mac, I use 90% Firefox; on Windows I am 50/50.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 13, 2012 6:39:31 PM PST
Actually, js is a javaSCRIPT extension, not Java. This is a javascript file, which has nothing to do with Java.

Posted on Nov 13, 2012 6:50:37 PM PST
E. Rocha says:
I was just able to place an order by
accessing my Amazon account through my Kindle. Doesn't solve the basic problem we're having of course but its my temporary fix instead of downloading Firefox as Amazon suggested.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 13, 2012 7:38:25 PM PST
E. Rocha says:
Eric, thank you for your very helpful information on Firefox. I will give it a go tomorrow when I've refueled my enthusiasm for trying to solve the problem from my end while Amazon's tech people work to permanently provide a fix.

Posted on Nov 14, 2012 9:50:58 AM PST
Bob Green says:
My message relates to all the above,when i scroll over this text box it automatically ordered books,it's only when i checked my account that it was showing orders that i had not made

Posted on Nov 14, 2012 10:16:53 AM PST
A. Pfeffer says:
As of 10 am PST today (Nov. 14), the "dump" box isn't coming up any longer in IE9. Looks like Amazon (or Microsoft??---naaaah!) nailed it. Hope it's for real.

Posted on Nov 14, 2012 4:38:01 PM PST
E. Rocha says:
I installed Mozilla Firefox but it didn't cure my problems with http://amazon.com. Firefox appears to have thrown off my settings to my att.net mail account so I had to switch over to classic mode in order to get and send emails. I uninstalled Firefox and will now work on correcting glitches I seem to have created by installing it in the first place. In the meantime, amazon.com lumbers on without me.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 15, 2012 12:33:08 PM PST
china lover says:
Never had this problem until Java kept trying to nstall updates and then the updates from java wouldnt completly install-the error first started wth java and their automatic updates! Java crashed my prevous computer nand this one is only 5 months old and here it is again. They java install msn as abrowser, its difficult to remove. As soon as removed the msn search they installed along came the updates and then the crazy dump log on amazon. ????????????????? Why do we even need java it really does feel like spy crap.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
NEWS: Kindle for iOS Software Update 4.5
67 15 hours ago
Announcement
Update re: Amazon/Hachette Business Interruption
0 Jul 29, 2014
Announcement
Hachette/Amazon Business Interruption
0 May 27, 2014
Announcement
Have a Kindle Question?
0 Sep 12, 2012
October Informal Poll--what are you reading now? 50 1 second ago
We're an International Quirky Bunch! Put on Your Chiffon and Taffeta, Sashay In, Pet a Midnight Goat, Cat or Dog, Crack Open Your Stelvin Closures and Say "Hi" to Cherie! 7289 55 seconds ago
RAoK #78 and still going! 8715 1 minute ago
Facebook has stopped. 2 3 minutes ago
WiFi problems with Kindle Fire HD 7" 204 8 minutes ago
Freebie Books - Links Only - No Self Promotion III 5222 11 minutes ago
Battery - Should it ever be completely run down? 20 14 minutes ago
Elephants Three at The Ģrandest Hotel - Part IV 2145 15 minutes ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  17
Total posts:  29
Initial post:  Nov 11, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 22, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 6 customers

Search Customer Discussions