Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

Kindle Fire HD Battery tips

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 44 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 17, 2012 10:49:38 AM PDT
I would like to prolong my battery , feel free to share battery tips . Also When I should start recharging the battery maybe 10%...20% or 50%

Posted on Sep 17, 2012 10:51:38 AM PDT
Okay, here are my two tips:

1) you cannot overcharge the battery. So, don't worry about that.
2) try to never let an LI battery run completely down. It shortens the battery life.

Posted on Sep 17, 2012 10:54:25 AM PDT
Andre,
Kindle Team has, in the past put up battery advisories, which some of us collected and put into a set.

The batteries are the same type though some are larger than others, and their advice has been not to let it go down below 25%. I think that's to prevent running out of juice at a time when functions are going on and need to complete.

My copy of the advisories is at
http://kindleworld.blogspot.com/2009/03/to-sleep-or-not-to-sleep-to-turn-off-or.html

- Andrys

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 17, 2012 10:58:49 AM PDT
Laura I was told on a certain website to let it drain down completely once a month to go through a battery cycle , Google "Five ways to increase your kindle fire battery life". do you dispute this claim ?

Posted on Sep 17, 2012 11:02:09 AM PDT
Arts&History Thanks , I read it and it said you can leave it plugged up over night and it wont affect the battery life

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 17, 2012 11:47:23 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 17, 2012 11:49:14 AM PDT
Andre, yes, their advice matches most I've read with regard to the modern batteries it uses. The drain once-a-month advice from some is a holdover from the past for the batteries that were fooled by a half-full battery and didn't have good 'memories' -- some still advise that we drain it intentionally once or twice a year.

But I don't. I top off whenever possible and my most active Kindles I do plug in every single night and haven't had any of the many problems I see reported on the forum, since 2008, and I have all the models.

My main concern is not letting it go below 25% before I recharge, because if I forget and leave the wireless 'on' then it may be busy trying to download something while it's running out of battery.

That can corrupt the file and sometimes indexes and then it takes awhile to get them back in working order, which means they use the battery in the background, unnecessarily, while reconstructing things.

So, I never worry about the battery. No probs either. I think they made those advisories to minimze problems since they have so much server activity with the Kindle in logging notes, making sure they get copies for our Amazon server annotation webpages and that they're all synced with our many other devices, etc. So, it's not good to possibly interrupt all that activity either.

- Andrys
http://kindleworld.blogspot.com

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 17, 2012 12:01:09 PM PDT
jsh1120 says:
Andre,

There's a bit of confusion about the "drain completely" term. Lithium Ion batteries do not like to be COMPLETELY discharged. It shortens the overall battery life. However, it is a good idea to drain the battery from full to about 15% (at which point you get a warning about a low battery) about once a month to maintain correct synchronization between the true battery charge and the battery monitor software in the device.

This and other related issues are covered in the following thread. Although it was written in reference to the original Kindle Fire, it applies equally to the KFHD.

http://www.amazon.com/forum/kindle/ref=cm_cd_pg_pg1?_encoding=UTF8&cdForum=Fx1D7SY3BVSESG&cdPage=1&cdThread=Tx3BVTWI4W8QESI

Posted on Oct 13, 2012 12:32:15 PM PDT
Nicole says:
I have noticed my kindle fire HD batter drains SOOO fast, compared to my regular kindle fire (the old one)
Im confused by this, i called and they said that i have to turn the WIFI off, in order to get longer then 3 hour battery life!

why didnt i have to do this with my old kindle??

Posted on Oct 19, 2012 11:38:07 AM PDT
I have noticed my kindle fire HD battery drains even with the tablet completely shut down, I don't think this is normal, anyone with the same problem?

What would happen if the battery drains to 0%?

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 19, 2012 12:53:23 PM PDT
Nicole says:
I would call amazon customer service about that!

Posted on Oct 19, 2012 2:11:48 PM PDT
jsh1120 says:
Folks,

It's certainly true that a battery can be drained by the wifi radio. In fact, it drains faster when wifi is turned on and it is NOT connected to a wifi network than when it is. And it drains faster when it's in a wifi network with a weak signal than with a strong one. In short, unless you need wifi, don't turn it on and ask the device to look for wifi networks. And if you do need it, connect to the strongest signal you can find.

Having said that, however, wifi is not the biggest drain on the KFHD's battery. The biggest drain is that gorgeous bright, high density screen you're looking at. Significantly brighter and with 30% more pixels to light up than the first generation KF. And a faster processor to boot.

If you want to maximize your battery life, try setting the automatic sleep setting to a short interval or be sure you ALWAYS put the device to sleep when you aren't using it. Keep the brightness level turned down as much as possible while using the KFHD. And to that end you might try downloading one of the apps that enable you to get more precise control of brightness and contrast independently. That will enable you to set the brightness level lower than you would otherwise without reducing the screen's contrast.

Finally, do yourself a favor and get an app that enables you to calibrate your battery more precisely than the rough estimate provided by the stock battery monitoring software. "Battery HD" does a good job. So does a similar app from Gsam. And to determine precisely what processes are using your battery, download Android Assistant. It will provide that information and keep your RAM cleaned, as well.

ScreenDim Trial
Android Assistant
Battery HD

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 9, 2012 5:31:29 PM PST
I've had my Kindle Fire HD for only about 7 weeks and within the past 3 days the battery life has degraded 70%-80% compared to what its been up to this point. After a full charge 24 hours ago, the batter is already nearly drained even though I have not used it more than 15 minutes during this time. I always turn it off right away when not in use and I'm not doing anything differently now than I've been doing since I first bought it. My wi-fi signal is not the strongest, but again, it's the network signal I've had up to this point. Please advise.

Posted on Dec 27, 2012 3:09:22 PM PST
I mentioned this before and I want to bring it up again. My Fire HD will run out of battery form 100% to 0% in less than 24 hours if I forget to turn off WiFi and if the Kindle is turned off. This is ridiculous. This does not happen on my 1st gen Kindle Fire or on my iPad. Both those devices can keep the WiFi on, and as long as the products are off, the battery doesn't drain any faster.

I am getting so frustrated with this and with getting no solution from Amazon that I am seriously thinking of selling the Fire and going to another Android device. Before I do that, does anyone know if Amazon is planning a fix?

Posted on Dec 27, 2012 3:17:02 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 27, 2012 3:17:59 PM PST
C.G., there are some apps that eat away at battery power. That'd be one thing to check, but if you decide that's not it, why not just return it within 30 days to Amazon?

They have a 30-day guarantee or take a replacement (or another one if you already did that). It has to be frustrating, yes. I don't think it's common though. Sounds defective unless an app chosen is very active in the background (like things that keep track of things to notify you -- sometimes in email settings, checking all the time, including Weather apps that don't let you check 'on demand').

Posted on Dec 28, 2012 3:07:51 AM PST
ME to TN says:
I've had my KFHD 7" for almost 2 months now and usually have to charge it about every 12 hrs (which should be ok, because we all have to rest.) I have the WiFi on and read or play those mind numbing games for hours, so sounds like you have an issue with your Kindle and I would contact Amazon.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 28, 2012 3:17:46 AM PST
Andre,

I had an emergency a few months back (had to take my daughter to the ER, and it was almost 48 hours before I got back home) My Fire (1st Generation) was plugged in, at home, the entire time. It worked fine since returning, but I was a little anxious about it being plugged in for so long. What I'm asking is... prolonged charging will not hurt the device then?

Thanks

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 28, 2012 3:24:21 AM PST
CBRetriever says:
not that I know of - I usually leave mine charging overnight

and some video games eat more power than others - Angry Birds significantly affects my battery life

Posted on Dec 28, 2012 3:24:27 AM PST
1thofa87 says:
I understand and agree with the advice to turn off wifi when you've not using it but if that's the case, why didn't they put that button where you cud get to it with one touch? It shud be right next to the search button. that would be a nice update.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 28, 2012 3:27:00 AM PST
CBRetriever says:
swipe down from top and it's right there

Posted on Dec 28, 2012 3:40:17 AM PST
1thofa87 says:
I know but that's 3 taps. That may sound lazy but if wifi is such a critical battery drain, you should be able to toggle it with one touch then shut down and walk away.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 28, 2012 3:55:38 AM PST
CBRetriever says:
I don't think there are any kindles except maybe the very first one that had a single tap to turn wifi off

it'll just become an automatic habit after a while - it is for me

Posted on Dec 28, 2012 4:16:59 AM PST
1thofa87 says:
Cool

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 19, 2013 5:48:31 PM PST
brltnl says:
Mine is doing this very same thing!

Posted on Apr 29, 2013 10:58:08 PM PDT
R. Angeloni says:
I have a Kindle Fire HD 8.9 (my third unit, as I had button problems with the first two and had to return them). Because I had stuck buttons on the other two, I never completely shut down this new Kindle, just letting it go into sleep modeI turn Wi-Fi off to conserve the battery. I last used the Fire on Thursday evening and at that point battery was at about 85 percent. This evening (Monday) I turned it on and the battery was completely drained. I am recharging it now and checked the GSam Battery app. It looks like the Kindle was turning itself on and off for the past four days, hence draining the battery. This happened with Wi-Fi off. I am wondering if there is something I can do to stop the Kindle from constantly turning itself on and off? I thought, with the Wi-Fi off, that the battery would be conserved but apparently the Kindle has a mind of its own. Should I download an Android app killer and just shut down all of the apps each evening as well?

Posted on May 2, 2013 10:55:02 PM PDT
Tom says:
I used GSam Battery Monitor (Kindle Tablet Edition) to figure out that the KFHD OS was using my battery quickly. I found that turning off the Kindle Fire location service took care of my short battery life. YMMV.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  33
Total posts:  44
Initial post:  Sep 17, 2012
Latest post:  Oct 15, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 17 customers

Search Customer Discussions