Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

Convert PDF to Kindle format

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 110 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Feb 24, 2012 11:39:16 AM PST
S. Cheung says:
I have couple of books about 4.5MB each on my laptop in PDF format. I was able to transfer them to my Kindle via USB. Is there a way to load them to my Kindle and have them converted to Kindle format? Thanks.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 24, 2012 3:27:06 PM PST
Beth says:
The free software program Calibre is able to do this conversion.

Posted on Feb 24, 2012 3:37:44 PM PST
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Feb 24, 2012 3:57:21 PM PST
All you have to do is send them to your amazon address "yourname@free.kindle.com" BE SURE YOU PUT CONVERT in the subject line. If you have wi-fi it will load it for free. If you don't have wi-fi it will send it back to you in an e-mail and you just pull it over for free. Or.... if you don't have wi-fi you can leave the free out of the address and you'll get charged a very small amount and they will send it over. Real simple and you don't need any other program to do this. If you don't know what your amazon address is look for it under "my account".

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 24, 2012 4:04:20 PM PST
S. Cheung says:
I tried this approach before. I must have done something wrong. As I try to attach the 40MB book as attachment in hotmail with myname@free.kindle.com as sent to address. That was returned due to attachment too big.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 24, 2012 4:20:35 PM PST
I never had that problem. Is your kindle near full by any chance?

Posted on Feb 24, 2012 4:36:21 PM PST
S. Cheung says:
Kindle is not near full yet. The message was actually from hotmail. I believe hotmail has attachment limit of 25MB.

Posted on Feb 24, 2012 6:29:36 PM PST
Try using gmail instead or yahoo. My yahoo account works great for this.

Posted on Feb 24, 2012 6:32:37 PM PST
Jazzy_Jeff says:
I just use Calibre. Nice and easy...

Posted on Feb 24, 2012 8:28:15 PM PST
S. Cheung says:
Just tried Calibre. Works quite well. Still need to play with it a bit to learn how to preserve stuff during the conversion. Thanks for the suggestion.

Posted on Feb 24, 2012 10:12:39 PM PST
NalaJr says:
I have tried converting several PDF books I have into MOBI format and they don't come out very well. The PDF files are nice and readable but when they go through the conversion on Calibre something happens and they get jumbled a bit. I figure it is best to just load them onto my Fire as a PDF and read them that way.
I'll try that send to feature and see how that works.

Nalajr

Posted on Feb 25, 2012 2:43:39 AM PST
NalaJr, I had the same problem with Calibre, which is why I just e-mail the files to Amazon instead of using it to convert. So very easy.

Posted on Feb 25, 2012 10:24:17 AM PST
S. Cheung says:
I'm giving up on this. The 40MB book is too big to be send to Kindle via email (Gmail or Hotmail). Calibre works good, but not perfect. Diagrams in the book are gone after conversion. I guess I'll read this with Adobe reader. Can I highlight or use dictionary function with Adobe reader?

Posted on Mar 5, 2012 7:44:33 AM PST
[Deleted by the author on Mar 5, 2012 7:47:14 AM PST]

Posted on Mar 5, 2012 7:47:29 AM PST
Pete W. says:
I tried Freda's suggestion and it worked well for me, but my pdf was nowhere near 40MB, only about 4.5. It was a user manual, the highlighting and note function work and even the diagrams and illustrations seem to have converted well.

Cheung, have you considered halving the book and doing each half separately? It would be a bit of work if you split the TOC as well, but it might solve your size problem.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 13, 2012 6:52:25 AM PDT
G. Mims says:
It needs to be convert so you can have all the functions plus PDF's have a very, very tiny font.

Posted on Apr 1, 2012 1:14:12 PM PDT
For me, I emailed my pdf file, which is a physics book, to Amazon, and it was so fine. The only thing that wasn't ok is the equations. They were herrible. I hope Amazon can fix this problem, or if any one knows a useful way to convert a pdf file to kindle and support the scientific equations.

Posted on Apr 4, 2012 12:46:00 PM PDT
C. Rodrigues says:
How long does it take to convert via email? I emailed a 900kb PDF five minutes ago and nothing has shown up yet.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 4, 2012 1:05:33 PM PDT
Lisa says:
If this is your first email, sometimes it takes a little while.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 4, 2012 1:07:40 PM PDT
C. Rodrigues says:
Thanks. I figured it out, I didn't add that email to my approved list (doh)

Posted on Apr 15, 2012 4:54:16 PM PDT
echofoxtrot says:
Large pdf files can be split into as many segments as you like using the free program pdfsam. "sam" stands for "split and merge".

Posted on Apr 15, 2012 5:37:51 PM PDT
Mary says:
You can send large files via this site and it works well. You upload the file then get an email link to download the file. Mary

https://www.transferbigfiles.com/

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 16, 2012 12:30:42 PM PDT
Because on the kindle the formatting of PDF's is usually not as good (far from) the result given by the 'natural' wrapping of text and the such the kindle format has built in.

Posted on Apr 16, 2012 12:36:29 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 16, 2012 2:31:14 PM PDT
Alidai says:
Convert the PDF to MOBI, Kindle supports MOBI and AZW or convert the PDF to Mobi using Calibre ebook manager

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 24, 2012 12:01:26 PM PDT
Tabi Alonso says:
try http://www.2epub.com/

seems to work just fine...
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  69
Total posts:  110
Initial post:  Feb 24, 2012
Latest post:  26 days ago

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 23 customers

Search Customer Discussions