Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

Parent controls & reset

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-8 of 8 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 16, 2013 2:22:20 AM PST
C. moore says:
Am I right in thinking that my son has been able to easily get round the parental controls I set because there is an option to say you have forgotten the password and then just reset the entire Kindle Fire? Seriously it is that easy?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2013 2:27:08 AM PST
Jazzy_Jeff says:
It will reset the Kindle but it will no longer be registered to an account. How else are you supposed to get back into a Kindle or any tablet for that matter if you cannot reset the password?? Now is where the parent steps in and sets boundaries. You know, where you tell them if they reset the password it will be taken away for awhile.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2013 2:40:20 AM PST
You mean that you bought & gave your son a product that you are only asking questions about afterwords & not before?

I can't imagine buying a product for myself that I don't research before purchasing, but if it were for my child...

Just sayin...

Posted on Jan 16, 2013 3:17:09 AM PST
C. moore says:
Well, my mistake, I thought this was a friendly, helpful forum, not a judgmental place for parenting advice.
I fully reseaerched before even buying to make sure we got something that I could set Parental Controls on. I'm not the most tech-friendly person, but spent a long time reading up on how it worked, and naively thought I had done the right thing by adding the password protected purchases, restricting email, web use and putting on the parent control. I didnt find anything about the reset while looking it up, surely you dont use a password you are likely to forget?
UInfortunately my 12 year old is a lot more tech-savvy than me and seems he has somehow managed to get round this and has made purchases within a game. I'm trying to figure out if it is something he has knowingly done or if i have made a mistake setting things up. He is at school right now, so I am not able to ask him so I figure out how, so thought I might get some advice here to work out what I may have done wrong or missed out.
We have been playing this game together, he has been excitedly showing me his progress in it, its not something he has been left to his own devices with so I find it difficult to beleive he has intentionally done it.
The Kindle is still linked to an account, so it probably hasnt been reset? But when i googled the problem those were the responses I got, that it had likely been reset by saying the password was forgotten and I couldn't beleive it would be so easy.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2013 4:00:17 AM PST
CBRetriever says:
he would have had to figure out how to reregister the kindle to your account, download the game again and then purchase something from an app

wait a minute, did you turn off in-app purchases? That isn't under Parental Controls, but is under Application settings (I think or else under security) and is done on an account level - he wouldn't have had to reset the kindle in order to make an in-app purchase

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2013 4:23:04 AM PST
Jazzy_Jeff says:
So it doesn't sound like the password was reset because it would have to be registered to your Amazon account again and everything downloaded. Follow CBRetriever's advice about in app purchases. That sounds like the problem.

As for people not forgetting the password they set do a search of these forums and you will find several have done just that.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2013 4:23:39 AM PST
C. moore says:
Ah see I didn't know about that! Thank you! I have done that now so hopefully Thy will stop anymore surprise bills.
Thank you for your help CBRetriever :)

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2013 4:25:59 AM PST
CBRetriever says:
I'm glad you found where to do it - I didn't have mine with me to check
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  4
Total posts:  8
Initial post:  Jan 16, 2013
Latest post:  Jan 16, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions