Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

FREE Books & Chat Sat- Dec 1, 2012

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 140 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 30, 2012 9:26:57 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 1, 2012 12:21:55 AM PST
KayKay says:
Welcome Yall to Free Books and Chat, where everyone knows your name and we are always glad you came. Sit and stay awhile with us as the search for books continues and good conversation is shared. Book links and RL - it is all welcome here.

As today is December 1st I realize that the Christmas season is not the same everywhere. It is soo commercialized in the US. This got me wondering; what are the top signs that the holidays are here in your neck of the woods? Decorations? Holiday Music? Carolers? Holiday Commercials? Generosity of Spirit ( like the video from the NYPD that we saw earlier in the week)?
What signs do you notice or make it official for you ?

** SPECIAL MESSAGE TO AUTHORS **

AUTHORS - THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR SELF PROMOTION.
You are welcome to join us for conversation, however, self-promotion or posting a link
to your book in this area is against Amazon's TOS. Please go to the "Meet Our Authors"
area for that, as many of us do check there as well.
THANK YOU FOR FOLLOWING THE RULES!

Birthday and Anniversary link. *******NEW ADDRESS*******

https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=46D686309DF8EC54!225&authkey=!AKPFhMjMoPLl7y8

Links to free book resources:

Kinlib:
http://us.kinlib.com/

Ereaderiq:
ereaderiq.com/free/mn
ereaderiq.com/free/

Dailyfreebooks:
dailyfreebooks.comhttp://www.ereaderiq.com/free/
http://us.kinlib.com
dailyfreebooks.com
`
To get today's updates:

Kinlib:
US: http://us.kinlib.com/feed/
UK: http://uk.kinlib.com/feed/
*The "feed" link provides all available updates.

Please come back and tell us what you get from the free links.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

STARTER SCHEDULE

KayKay - Sun Dec 2 Start time 12:30-1:30 EST
Leonard Little - Monday, Dec 03: Start Time 12:30 PST or a bit earlier
IrishM - Tuesday Dec 04: start time: 5-6 am EST (or so)
SDR Marla- Wednesday, December 5 start time: 8-9 AM EST
Robb - Thursday, December 06 Start Time 11pm to Midnight PST
Lover of Books - Friday, December 7th Start Time 12:30am PST
TnT - Saturday, December 8 start time by 7AM CST
Robb - Friday, December 14 Start Time 11pm to Midnight PST

Open Dates:
Sunday, December 9
Monday, December 10
Tuesday, December 11
Wednesday, December 12
Thursday, December 13
Saturday, December 15
Sunday, December 16

*** Please consider volunteering to be a thread starter. ***
Choose an available day, copy/paste schedule into a post and add your info. Thank You!

Don't forget the book discussion for (NOT FREE) - RISE OF THE DRAKYN (Sword of Souls) - (NOT FREE) is being held on Friday, December 7 so if you haven't read the book yet you might want to start soon I hope all volunteers are still available and will speak up if anything has changed so we can make alterations if necessary...

Here is the link to yesterday's thread:

http://www.amazon.com/forum/kindle/ref=cm_cd_pg_newest?_encoding=UTF8&cdForum=Fx1D7SY3BVSESG&cdPage=1&cdSort=oldest&cdThread=TxSF877YUQ5DPL

Posted on Nov 30, 2012 10:28:55 PM PST
Janine says:
Morning Kay Kay thanks for starting I think Christmas is commercialized everywhere we had some shops putting up Christmas decorations at end of October and playing Christmas carols one of our radio stations started a campaign to boycott any shop doing it I have notice this year thank goodness decorations started only about a week ago then you know it is the Christmas season summer holidays are here most company's/factories close next week the 7th on the latest the 14th and restart second week of January a big percentage of people go away to get airline, bus or train tickets now very scarce we call it the big trek all the JHB people going to the coast or where ever.

On those days and also the weekend before Christmas and the 2nd of January we have special traffic bulletins stating road conditions and traffic accidents it is very busy on our roads, it is so nice then here you can go shopping in the malls still very busy but not as if you going to get claustrophobia I really dislike crowds and standing in long queues to pay a lot of cities decorate a lot of the main roads with lights and Christmas decorations.

I think the Christmas spirit is still here a lot of cities have trees of light supporting different charities example of one in JHB (Switch-on of the Tree of light at the Joburg Zoo Entrance to the Zoo is FREE from 5pm on Switch-on Night. There will be choirs, carols and candles as thousands of sparkling globes light up the Zoo gardens at 7pm. You can buy your own globe for just R50 and have the opportunity to send your own message of love, good wishes or memory. All messages are published on the HospiceWits website.) to me this is special we also have make a wish on radio where someone's wishes comes true this happens 12 day before Christmas so 12 wishes come true.( 94.7 Highveld Stereo's Christmas Wish is about lending a helping hand and changing lives. Over the years, we've called on the people of Joburg to open their hearts and send us their wishes on behalf of someone else.

Whether it's a colleague, a family member or even a stranger - it's a chance to make a difference in someone else's life. If you know of someone who needs our help, share their story with us. It might seem small and insignificant to you, but it could change someone's life forever. Become part of 94.7 Highveld Stereo's Christmas Wish 2012 as the Breakfast Xpress grants wishes... and changes lives.)

Posted on Nov 30, 2012 10:32:36 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 1, 2012 12:26:07 AM PST
Hi K K.....very nice start....Christmas season for me doesn't start until we decorate the tree....which we do around the second Saturday in Dec....or sooner if the holiday spirit takes us early....

Leo

Posted on Dec 1, 2012 12:25:57 AM PST
Good morning, all - Northern Lights has gone seasonal but it's still me... December 1st marks the start of Advent in Norway. Everybody puts out a candleholder with four candles in it, one to be lit each Sunday until Christmas eve. One window gets a star with a lightbulb in it, signifying the star of Bethlehem, and at 4 the town Christmas tree is lit with a torchwalk past the old folks' home. The radio channels start playing Christmas music today. The advertising has been going on for a while already, but will go absolutely mad now...

This morning my sons woke up to their new Lego advent calendars, very happy young men, and I am planning to dive into all the Christmas books on my kindle, just to get in the mood for real! Need to get the house sorted today as we have guests next weekend and the more I do today the less I will have to do in the hectic work week before they get here... That's the plan, at least, will be interesting to see what reality will be like!

Posted on Dec 1, 2012 12:39:16 AM PST
KayKay says:
@ Janine - thanks for the info and the inspirations. I agree, it is a perfect time to share with others and pay it forward.
I get so frustrated with the bombardment of commercials targeted at children. My 4yo grand says "I want that, KK" so many times in her limited viewing time that now the 15mo says "I want" when he hears the intro music. And it is not like they are deprived or anything close to it.

We have toys for tots and other things like our church collects or "adopts for the holidays" kids from the childrens home. It always amazes me that these kids provide us with a wish list and their wishes are mostly what I consider necessities. A warm winter coat, flannel pjs, a sweater. This was so much the case that a few years ago we asked that they include something that they didn't Need but just Wished for on their wish list. If they still don't list anything then they get a gift card.

@ Leo - thanks - hope you are having better days :)!!!

Posted on Dec 1, 2012 12:45:00 AM PST
KayKay says:
I saw these "Signs of Christmas" listed on an old French blog - pretty interesting info - some are common to me, others not so much.

http://vanessafrance.wordpress.com/2011/12/03/seven-signs-of-christmas/

Posted on Dec 1, 2012 2:01:03 AM PST
Kay Kay, thanks so much for the start.

Again, I posted on yesterday's thread so late that I'm sure no one saw it, so will repost it here.

LOB, what a wonderful surprise. You didn't need to go to the bother of changing cake recipes for me. I was just passing on memories of my childhood and even some adult birthday celebrations with my family.

There were 5 kids and we all got our favorite dinner, cake and ice cream on our birthdays. I also do that with my daughters and now my 5 grandchildren.
Trouble is, half of them want grandma's spaghetti and meatballs. I'm Italian and so my spaghetti sauce has to be homemade and cook most of the day. I have to also make a lot of meatballs, as my 18 year old grandson usually eats at least 5 plus 2 heaping plates of spaghetti and expects leftovers to take home for the next day. Lol.

Thank you all for the birthday wishes.

Liz

Posted on Dec 1, 2012 2:07:46 AM PST
As far as when Christmas season begins for me, I live in Florida, but grew up in Nebraska, so it took me a long time to get used to Christmas in the 80's. We did love to tease our families at home though. We would call them from our boat, fishing in the gulf on Christmas Day! It also took me a long time to enjoy Christmas away from my parents and siblings. It was always a big celebration for my family. We would all get together at one of our homes, play christmas carols, eat snacks, play cards, open gifts, go to Midnight Mass, come home and eat and just enjoy each other's company.

My ex-husband is a real scrooge when it comes to Christmas. He likes to eat dinner by 6pm and then open gifts and go to bed. When our children were young, I would be up half the night putting things together and setting out the Santa gifts for the next morning. He hates Christmas carols and wouldn't let me play the stereo during our dinner or gift opening. I was always so thrilled when my parents came for Christmas and my sister. They couldn't do it every year as they had 3 sons in Nebraska and grandchildren.

I hate Christmas decorations being up before Thanksgiving and some people actually had the lights turned on! I usually start decorating right after Thanksgiving but haven't managed to get much of it done yet. I am way ahead in my shopping this year though, because I did most of it online on Black Friday and Cyber Monday. Hoping to get my outside decorations up today and tomorrow.

Have a great weekend everyone. I need to get to bed or I won't be up while there is still light to decorate by. LOL

Liz

Posted on Dec 1, 2012 2:27:45 AM PST
TerryInTexas says:
I noticed a book listed yesterday. Stranger in Town (A Sloane Monroe Novel, Book Four)and went to the first book in the series to see if I have it, and didn't-but thought I did, so searched MYK based on the author, and found that I do have books 1 -3 as a set, so check your records....Sloane Monroe Series Boxed Set (Books 1-3)NOT FREE NOW

Have to think about todays question, was up comtemplating an adequate offer on Dad's house, I got late last night, have to respond by this evening. Grabbing some hot cocoa and then going back to bed, got to pack and trash over there today....

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 1, 2012 2:53:47 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 1, 2012 3:07:31 AM PST
Biscay says:
Hello ARLiz, and happy (belated) birthday! That cake looked yummy :) I'm surprised to hear that you are Italian, I didn't have any idea about that. We just had spaghetti bolognese for dinner - the best part about it wasn't merely that it was delicious but that the meat sauce was leftovers from dinner last night (tastes even better 24 hrs on)... so no more effort than cooking a new batch of pasta... but wait, it gets better, because it was leftovers from dinner at friends' - I didn't even have to cook it the first time round. Spoilt, eh? They were keen to let the dog finish it as they weren't having it but, even while feeling mean for the lovely doggie who I'm sure would have done it justice, I pleaded with my own puppydog eyes that I'd love to bring it home. And sure enough it has fed 3 of us very nicely tonight!!!

When my hubby makes it, he likes to follow the Antonio Carluccio "recipe" - I say recipe but that's a loose term as I'm sure he (Antonio) just lets it flow through his fingertips along with brio! DH doesn't do a bad job though. He's the meticulous sort, so there's always a good chance things will work well simply because he doesn't leave out steps/ingredients or do substitutions through laziness/misguided creativity, as he'll verify that yours truly will, every time!

Anyway I hope someone made you a nice birthday dinner or at least took care of the washing up :D

Biscay

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 1, 2012 3:00:42 AM PST
Biscay says:
That sounds wonderful, Janine! And I love the idea of boycotting the shops that started their Xmas push too early - except then we'd probably have to boycott all the websites doing the same, to be fair?!

School holidays have started in some private schools now but for the rest of us 14 Dec is the last day of term and it all starts up again around 29 Jan. Judging by today's temp and humidity it's going to be a long, hot couple of months! <Note to self - get car aircond regassed, pronto>

I'm determined not to be the last person in the shops on Christmas Eve as they close all around me one by one... then up sorting and wrapping all night and trying to convince understandably grumpy DH who's well over it by then that you can't just mix and match the wrapping on Santa's overnight deliveries with the paper on the gifts under the tree "from Mum" "from Dad" "from the cat" etc etc!!!!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 1, 2012 3:05:21 AM PST
Biscay says:
Nice to see you Dashing in, NL! (or maybe that should be Dachs-ing). Does that mean we all have to find a Yule-name now?? <thinks>

Your Christmas lead-up sounds lovely. You've just reminded me, we received a gift Advent calendar yesterday - haven't ever had one before, actually - one child has gone to his friend's for a sleepover but I'm sure DD will love to do the honours for Dec 1 before the day's over :)

Biscay

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 1, 2012 3:11:31 AM PST
Biscay says:
Thank you for your start, Kay Kay. I'm in awe of all starters - and very grateful every single day as I so look forward not just to picking through the varied book choices that everyone seems to find time to post, but also reading about so many lovely customs, anecdotes and other domestic details.

Hope it's a good day of book-hunting here and elsewhere enjoying (or managing to avoid?!) either the onset or more likely crescendo of Christmas/holiday cheer.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 1, 2012 3:44:05 AM PST
The raoker's have jumped on the Christmas names train, but that does *not* mean everybody has too! We try to give hints as to our "real" identites (such as my "(NL)") as having to say "oh, no, you know me, I am so-and-so" every time gets a bit tedious!

I hope your DD loves the advent calendar, too. You are in ...France? How common is advent there? The whole purple candles thing and so on?

Posted on Dec 1, 2012 4:45:27 AM PST
B.J. says:
Good morning folks. Carryover from last night:

If anyone is interested:

New Kindle Keyboard Wi-Fi with 6" E-Ink Display (Gray)
http://www.icemonkey.com/kindle-keyboard-wi-fi-with-6-e-ink-display-gray
Condition: New
RETAIL PRICE: $129.00
YOU SAVE: $49.01 (38%)
YOUR PRICE: $79.99
+ Free shipping

If you haven't tried Ice Monkey, I have ordered several items from them, never had a problem.

Posted on Dec 1, 2012 4:47:05 AM PST
B.J. says:
Kinlib has 690 books to keep you busy today:

http://us.kinlib.com/new/2fc2/

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 1, 2012 4:55:07 AM PST
dharts says:
Lutherans, Northern Lights? I grew up with Advent wreaths with three purple and one final, pink candle. I have a wreath/holder I've used for years but I especially loved the massive, hanging one we had at church.

Posted on Dec 1, 2012 5:12:02 AM PST
Thanks Kay Kay for great start!

@ NL and dharts,

We always had Advent Wreath in Presbyterian church (purple candles) and each Sunday a different family would come up and light the next candle and do a short reading.

When my kids were little we did the advent calendars with little paper doors you open, plus we made a red and green construction paper chain they hung in their room and tore off 1 loop per day, seeing how far away Christmas was.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 1, 2012 5:31:48 AM PST
I guess Luther can be blamed - the Norwegian state church is pretty staunchly protestant:) Never heard of having a final pink candle, but that is a lovely idea!

Posted on Dec 1, 2012 5:37:33 AM PST
one from my wishlist

Akitada and the Way of Justice (Akitada Stories)

Posted on Dec 1, 2012 5:47:12 AM PST
Thought I'd pick-up a start :)

STARTER SCHEDULE

KayKay - Sun Dec 2 Start time 12:30-1:30 EST
Leonard Little - Monday, Dec 03: Start Time 12:30 PST or a bit earlier
IrishM - Tuesday Dec 04: start time: 5-6 am EST (or so)
SDR Marla- Wednesday, December 5 start time: 8-9 AM EST
Robb - Thursday, December 06 Start Time 11pm to Midnight PST
Lover of Books - Friday, December 7th Start Time 12:30am PST
TnT - Saturday, December 8 start time by 7AM CST
Terri B in ME - Sunday, December 9 start time 11PM EST
Robb - Friday, December 14 Start Time 11pm to Midnight PST

Open Dates:
Monday, December 10
Tuesday, December 11
Wednesday, December 12
Thursday, December 13
Saturday, December 15
Sunday, December 16

*** Please consider volunteering to be a thread starter. ***
Choose an available day, copy/paste schedule into a post and add your info. Thank You!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 1, 2012 5:59:49 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 1, 2012 6:04:44 AM PST
Biscay says:
I liked having my Halloween name, DachshundTTS-NL - thanks to you and all the other creative types that made me want to join in (I went with "boo-scay" so maybe in honour of Christmas cheer it could be "booze-cay"!) Will have to see if I feel inspired :)

This is very unusual, but quite a lot popped up from my (admittedly bulging and none-too-choosy) wishlists today:

(Even more unusually, not one but two books that I'd really wanted popped up with good price drops and I surprised myself by clicking to buy them as well as today's Kindle Daily Deal which also came up as available here - not that I really need more on the shelf, but still...!)

Akitada and the Way of Justice (Akitada Stories) by IJ Parker

Publication Date: November 20, 2011
Eleven stories about crime and detection in eleventh century Japan are arranged chronologically for Sugawara Akitada's career. They include diverse cases with clues from moon cakes and Chinese lutes to feral cats and incense competitions and feature traditional holidays of the period.

Tourist Trap (Rebecca Schwartz #3) (A Rebecca Schwartz Mystery) (The Rebecca Schwartz Series) by Julie Smith

Publication Date: August 15, 2012
The THIRD book in Edgar-winner Julie Smith's REBECCA SCHWARTZ series.
"Warmth, wit and local color in a fast-moving story...Smith's best work so far."
--Kirkus
Fear stalks the streets! reports the San Francisco Chronicle. It also stalks these pages--and so do a lot of laughs.
You just know the Easter sunrise service is going to be a bummer when the San Francisco fog lifts to reveal a body nailed to a landmark cross. Next: mass shellfish poisoning at Pier 39. A very different kind of serial killer is operating here-one who seems to have a grudge against the whole city.
And this is a very different kind of serial killer tale-a funny one. Well, actually, what serial killer's funny? But lawyer sleuth Rebecca Schwartz is warm and witty, never takes herself too seriously, and on one occasion offers closing testimony with green hair. A highly embarrassing moment, but the bright chartreuse is all in the service of making her case. No way does she believe her client would nail somebody-especially to a cross. And the things she has to do to prove it are hilarious and often unorthodox, yet always professional. Sometimes hyper-professional--the average lawyer simply can't be bothered spraying herself with Thunderbird to fit in with her witnesses!
A wild ride through Baghdad by the Bay...and a great courtroom drama.

Pam of Babylon by Suzanne Jenkins

Pam of Babylon is the first in a series of five books. Don't You Forget About Me, Dream Lover and Prayers for the Dying follow. Family Dynamics, the last of the series, is due out Christmas 2012.

For Long Islander Pam Smith, keeping house and staying beautiful dominate her daily routine as she awaits the return of her husband, Jack, every Friday evening. When he suffers a fatal heart attack on the train home from Manhattan, Pam's exquisitely arranged life is catapulted into turmoil as she is forced to face the realization that her marriage is nothing more than a black hole plagued with cruel infidelity, abuse, and sexual deviance. Witness Pam as she graciously and gracefully accepts the foul world her husband's "other life" forces on her previously immaculate existence. Come along for the ride of your life as you ask yourself this one question. How well do I know my husband?

Suzanne Jenkins lives near the west Michigan lakeshore with her husband, two dogs and two sheep. The Greeks of Beaubien Street is her new series.

Don't You Forget About Me by Suzanne Jenkins

When charming, seemingly devoted Jack Smith dies, his wife and his two girlfriends are astonished to learn that they were not the only love of his life, and that, in fact, Jack was a rogue who was carrying on secret existences with other women. Shattered by grief and stunned by Jack's betrayals, these three women, Pam Smith, Marie Fabian, and Sandra Benson, find themselves suddenly thrown together. They could have despised one another, jealously guarding their private memories of their time with Jack and hating those they perceived to be their rivals, but instead, the women begin to realize there might be strength in numbers and in shared pain. Slowly, they begin to open their hearts to one another. They bind together to try to make sense of their lives and to try to heal the terrible shock.

But the more they learn about Jack and his nefarious past, the more they begin to question everything they thought they ever knew about him. Not only did Jack carelessly cheat on each of them, without thought to the harm he was causing, but the women are stunned to discover a secret of Jack that he never revealed.

As the women try to piece together the real life story of Jack, they begin to deal with their own lives differently, as well. They must deal with Jack's heartbroken mother, who knew nothing about her son's clandestine dealings in life. The tragedy also takes a toll on their working lives, and most of all it takes a toll on them, robbing them of sleep, hope, and even dreams. But with a sense of shared sisterhood, a little laughter, and a whole lot of determination, these brave women forge brave new lives that are full of promise.
The novel probes the difficulties in thinking that we can ever really know a person, even a loved one. All the women in Don't You Forget About Me wonder if they had been really and truly loved by Jack, or if he had simply played them for fools. They question their own blindness to his faults and how they allowed themselves to believe that they might have had it all, when what they had was really more of a dream. The book investigates modern social problems with grace and warmth. Infidelity, it uncovers, can do more than break hearts. In showing some of the worst things that can happen in relationships,it also teases us to imagine the best, a world in which loyalty, devotion and fidelity are prized. As the characters grow and change, they have the possibility for those things.

Don't You Forget About Me is a tale of love lost and then found again. A sequel to Pam of Babylon, Don't You Forget About Me can also be read all on its own. You will not like this book if many characters and lot of twists and turns is not your cup of tea.

Forever My Baby by Chris Ward

Publication Date: January 23, 2012
In these dark days, some mothers will do anything necessary to protect their children... including preventing them from growing up.
Forever My Baby - a short story of 5000 words. Contains violence and bad language. Only suitable for age 16+.
#Note - this story comes with the first five chapters of the novel, The Tube Riders, as an exclusive sample.
Chris Ward is the author of 33 published short stories and the novel, The Tube Riders.

The Uninvited Guest by Nick Lombardi

Publication Date: March 13, 2012
Evicted from his low-rent apartment, a kind-hearted man and his pet Chihuahua find themselves homeless with nowhere to turn save for one last resort: his wealthy, tyrannical cousin. Initially unwilling to offer hospitality, she eventually submits with stipulations put upon her uninvited guest that will test the limits of his worth.

Posted on Dec 1, 2012 6:13:12 AM PST
KayKay says:
a few picks so far
A Madman's Song
Holiday Cookie Recipes with Bonus Compliments Galore 3
Duality
Akitada and the Way of Justice (Akitada Stories)
The Guardian's Apprentice (Beyond the Veil)
Going Viral (The Virus Sequence)
Unsafe Harbor
Who Killed Chrissy?: The True Crime Memoir of a Pittsburgh girl's Unsolved Murder in Las Vegas

Posted on Dec 1, 2012 6:15:49 AM PST
DaveP says:
How do I upload personal books that I have Kindlized to the Kindle Cloud Reader?

Posted on Dec 1, 2012 6:22:29 AM PST
DaveP says:
I have a lot of Kindlized books that were written by unpublished Fan Fiction authors and many of the books are in the Kindle/Mobi format which I would like to upload to the Kindle Cloud Reader as previously mentioned. These are all free books Tom Swift Jr. and Sandy Swift, which I enjoy a lot and are open to the public!
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  36
Total posts:  140
Initial post:  Nov 30, 2012
Latest post:  Feb 27, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions